Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 08:50 PM   #1
tpblackberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: Tmobile
Default Blackberry vs Sidekick/Hiptop2

Please Login to Remove!

About 9 months ago I started off with a Blackberry 7230 and moved to a 7100t and then a 7290. Now, I am with a Sidekick/Hiptop2.

I was reading some of Mark Rejhon's guide to the "Blackberry vs sidekick" (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=3678) and found the article misleading and very non fact. The whole article seems to be him trying to degrate the sidekick to make it look worst than the blackberry, IMHO. However, Mark does bring some good points up, that I would like to try to clearify.

Recently, with the hiptop 2.3 OS upgrade it has made some minor but huge changes to the way the sidekick performs. The web browser is now unbeatable as far as layout and quickness. Javascript is added, which is a nice touch. I also am offended by the "security issue" that people have some illusion about. Just because Paris Hilton, made an easy password, and actually had someone out there that WANTED to gain entry to her pictures/address book/ect, does certainly not mean its "in-secure". if you actually look at it, the desktop interface is a blessing. I dont know of any other phone where you can log into your own seprate account and view pictures/contacts/notes/email/to do/ect. The fact that it syncs with the sidekick device is even more amazing.

I write this, because as both a blackberry and a sidekick lover, I feel the sidekick doesn't get credit where credit is due. I mean, sure, the device is popular among younger teens and what not, and thats exactly what Danger had in mind when they produced this product. If anyone has ever used AIM/YIM on the sidekick, you know the platform cannot be beaten, and it knocks the socks off any verichat, IM+, or 3rd party application. The things that is to love about the sidekick is the user friendly type OS it has on it. Its the small things that count. For instance, when you want to call somebody, you just start typing there name and there it appears, same with texting, same with email. Also, another fact that is NOT true is the myth that "Sidekicks always have down time, data outages, ect". Its funny because with the new Sidekick2, and tmobile's service getting better by the day, I have not experienced an outage or down time in months.

The gripe I have about the sidekick is the limited application choice. God knows why Tmobile puts this block on things that hit the catolog, ect. That's where the blackberry shines.

In summary, sure, the sidekick is a device aimed at the younger genetation and not so much for business, but it sure does make up in features, and operation. The web browser/email/instant messeging/applications(however limited) all make up a prime device. In no way is this rambling speech of mine a insult at blackberry, I'm just giving credit where credit is due. So many people are just using one side of their brains and putting a blindfold on saying "Sidekicks suck!" As I have seen so many posts like that.

Thanks!

Last edited by tpblackberry; 04-16-2006 at 10:35 PM..
Old 04-16-2006, 09:53 PM   #2
Wnt2Prtct
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7290/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Thanks for sharing?
Old 04-16-2006, 09:55 PM   #3
taeisme
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 7100g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Thank you for giving a honest reponse. I thought about getting a sidekick but I kept reading reviews and comments about how horrible it was and blackberry was a stellar product. Thank you for giving your opinion. I might get a sidekick in addidtion too my 8700.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:19 PM   #4
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

My name is Dr. Phil, and I can help you. I've owned both devices.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:53 PM   #5
ntjones
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

I think its also important to remember that Mark's review is well over a year ago.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:57 AM   #6
ollywompus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7100/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Having owned both I find the sk2 to be a great device for what it is but very limited compared to a bb. If you just want push email and IM then the sk is great... If you ever want more or care about browsing its sub par.

-olly
YIM: seattleolly
Old 04-17-2006, 12:44 PM   #7
Kyos
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

The only thing I liked about the SK2 was the browser. It fully shows a web page.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:54 PM   #8
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyos
The only thing I liked about the SK2 was the browser. It fully shows a web page.
my 8700 does that, and many times faster than an SK2.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:12 PM   #9
demik1020
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7510

what BB fails to realize, jus as many young people are into BB as the sidekick.
i like the sidekick but i love the BB. i jus wish BB would maybe come out with a model aimed at the younger crowd, jus my opinon! I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO SEE A NEW BB WITH A CAMERA!

Email : [email address]
Aim : demik1020
yahoo : demik1020
Old 04-17-2006, 06:18 PM   #10
Liv
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330

Quote:
Originally Posted by demik1020
i like the sidekick but i love the BB. i jus wish BB would maybe come out with a model aimed at the younger crowd, jus my opinon! I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO SEE A NEW BB WITH A CAMERA!

A lot of people would like to see a BB with a camera, or that is more compatible with chat programs and such.

But the general consensus is that it is just not going to happen. BB does not really aim themselves at a younger crowd because they don't have to, to survive. They target military, government and corporations. Places where security is a must. If they released a BB with a camera for the consumer, it may risk making thier other products less secure - which may turn off companies to using them. Because once you release a product within the same line that has a camera, or allows other consumer like stuff, hacks will be easier to figure out. At least, that is what I think about it.

Device: Sprint 8330 Curve - Crimson
My heart belongs to Seattle18 (Who I met on the Forums, ironic.)
Old 04-17-2006, 06:22 PM   #11
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by demik1020
That's an argument for another thread friend.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:42 PM   #12
junior1790
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

the camera argument again, argh. you mine as well shoot the horse after you beat it to death.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:58 PM   #13
aphr0deity
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mo

I don't know about other people, but my Sidekick's internet was S..L...O...W................................ despite the upgraded OS.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:25 PM   #14
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Under 18 years old, get a Sidekick.
Over 18 (or if you have a mostly functioning brain), get a BlackBerry.

<Stirring the pot>
Old 04-17-2006, 10:21 PM   #15
Katrina Niolet
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100

Since I carry around both everyday (yup...uber geek) here is my 2 cents:
HipTop2/SideKick2:
*Extreemly easy to use
*All available applications have been tested to ensure they work as they should
*AIM is included
*Great SSH/Telnet program
*Lots of fun
*Looks really cool
*The web interface is amazing
*Very stable OS... I have only had to hard reset 2 because of crashing and when you do, your data automatically reloads within minites
*Not a wide selection of applications to choose from, they are approved by Danger first then the carrier picks from that list.
*Most of "cool stuff" in the API is not usable by anyone except Danger
*Kinda big
*Really big, bright screen

Blackberry:
*More security than most people actually need (especially since hardly anyone actually password protects their device)
*Potentially better security than the Hiptop/Sidekick (especially on BES)
*Lack of many "official applications" that you know will work as advertised
*I think it is easier to type on the 7290 than the SideKick/Hiptop
*Tons more applications possibly work
*Register with RIM and get full API access

This is just personal oppinion (as are all of my posts) but I do not see any more HipTop2 outages than Blackberry outages. (although both are surprisingly rare for SunCom)

Personally, I say go with the Blackberry if you need it mostly for business or the Sidekick/HipTop if you are looking for something "fun". Both devices are capable of catering to both to a degree, but neither are made to be excelent at both.

Katrina Niolet
[email address]
Old 04-18-2006, 01:43 AM   #16
dkf747
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8520
Carrier: TMO

Tmail on the sidekick is not reliable. Every few days it won't come through for hours. The text messenging and IM are great.

The BB is the opposite. Instant email and always works. IM though sucks because you have to download a 3rd party app.

There's my simple comparison.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:04 AM   #17
DINide
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7100i/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/103)

If you want a camera, go buy a digital one
Old 04-18-2006, 02:04 AM   #18
digital/blasphemy
No longer Registered.

The reality is... there is no comparison.

Lets break it down, piece by piece. I've owned a SK2 until a month ago:

Web Browsing:

Ok, so the kick got javascript on the OTA, big deal. I still couldn't do online banking on a MAJOR bank's website. my 7105t handles it with no problem.

myspace: Even navigating to this page would sometimes be enough to crash my SK. It's a 6mb device, it just can't handle loading larger pages properly

AIM- ok, you've got me there. The AIM platform is unbeatable on the SK2. One problem, I use MSN messenger...which you can't get on SK2 at all becaused of the CLOSED OS.

mail- don't be rediculous. tmail sometimes took up to 45 minutes to be delivered. BB owns all competition when it comes to push e-mail

customization- with the BB i can create custom themes and icons. I can download 3rd party apps. when the SK2 does that, break out the jackets because hell has frozen over
Old 04-18-2006, 02:07 AM   #19
patrickh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: T-mo

IM on BB with googletalk and yahoo rocks.. (at least on the carriers supporting them)..

-P
Old 04-18-2006, 02:28 AM   #20
EricaJ1074
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7105t

My 3 Sidekicks (yes, 3 of them):

1) Had unreliable signal stability. 2 of them completely died (1 because of the charger port connector inside the thing came loose; the other after just losing signal and being charged all night trying to recover it; the third one just lost signal forever and I got furious). T-Mobile blamed it on tower problems constantly which I got tired of hearing because of family members having other tmo phones with zero problems. I had a tmo rep tell me one time that I should have had great signal coverage just because of what was on their map (which I now actually believe to be true because my brother and sister in law also have tmo). I had someone else tell me it was my location that was causing problems. That there told me something wasn't right with the sidekicks because all my other tmo phones worked like a charm (3 PPC Phones, 5 BlackBerries, and a Samsung). The 1, 2, or 3 dot dancing (or the occasional no signal at all) game drove me insane.

2) Gave me fits because web browsing was a PITA on my last 2 Sidekicks (kept getting errors about timing out or it could not connect to the site, even after receiving the OS upgrade).

3) Had a huge lack of customization which was HORRIBLE (being limited to what was in the catalog and not being able to have wallpapers, themes, etc).

BUT I did find a few games I actually played on the thing, such as Bunny Chow, 10 Pin, Reversi, and Anagrammed. I used Yahoo and AIM messengers, and AOL Mail. And the calendar, address book, notes and tasks kept me organized during the time I was using the last 2 Sidekicks. The sound quality (when I had enough signal to use the thing to make a phone call) was great with or without a headset. I had no problems being heard over my yelling 3 and 4 year old nieces while on the phone.

4) The camera never worked on any of my Sidekicks. I never bought the camera accessory for my first one.

So yes, the Sidekick was a good device for me in the 3 years I used them but I just got fed up with my last 2 and needed something a bit more reliable. Enter the BlackBerry 7105t and have had no problems with it except the other night when tmobile decided to screw with the towers and I couldn't send or reply to a PIN, text or email message (did this happen to anyone else?)

Last edited by EricaJ1074; 04-18-2006 at 02:50 AM..
Closed Thread