BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 06:12 PM   #1
turnertrends

Model: 8300
Carrier: t-mobile
Default Best Desktop PIM for PocketDay?

Please Login to Remove!

I'm a newbie and have searched the threads and cannot find a reference, so forgive me if this has been previously discussed.

I have an 8700c and like the PocketDay PIM on my Blackberry. I don't like Outlook on my desktop. I use Outlook Express. I'm looking for a simple, but full-functioned PIM that can sit on my desktop and sync with PocketDay on my BB. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 03-20-2006, 08:09 PM   #2
mortgageguy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnertrends
I'm a newbie and have searched the threads and cannot find a reference, so forgive me if this has been previously discussed.

I have an 8700c and like the PocketDay PIM on my Blackberry. I don't like Outlook on my desktop. I use Outlook Express. I'm looking for a simple, but full-functioned PIM that can sit on my desktop and sync with PocketDay on my BB. Any suggestions? Thanks!

You are going to be fairly limited in your choices. I believe the options would be:

1. ACT
2. GroupWise
3. Lotus Notes
4. Lotus Organizer

I have and use ACT 6.0 and I still prefer Outlook because I am on BES. You can setup your PIM to sync your addresses with Outlook Express and your calender with another PIM.

ACT would be my recommendation if you do not like Outlook but you will have to pay for it and it's not cheap.

I'm curious, what is it about Outlook you do not like?
Old 03-20-2006, 11:32 PM   #3
turnertrends

Model: 8300
Carrier: t-mobile

Probably not appropriate for this forum, but there are a few, but very annoying things about Outlook that are completely and appropriately functional in Outlook Express. The biggest annoyance (and, I am perhaps a bit anal about this) is the auto-fill in for names when pulling up Send To: or From: emails. I realize you can get Outlook to look up an email address, but that takes at least two more clicks. I like the fact that I can start entering an email address and OE fills it in; then press tab and it inserts a ";" and is ready to take the next email address. The last time I checked (quite some time back) Outlook would not do that. And, from what I understand, there are two completely different development teams at Microsoft working on both products, so the odds of the best features in OE will never make ti to Outlook.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:34 AM   #4
jontalotta

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnertrends
Probably not appropriate for this forum, but there are a few, but very annoying things about Outlook that are completely and appropriately functional in Outlook Express. The biggest annoyance (and, I am perhaps a bit anal about this) is the auto-fill in for names when pulling up Send To: or From: emails. I realize you can get Outlook to look up an email address, but that takes at least two more clicks. I like the fact that I can start entering an email address and OE fills it in; then press tab and it inserts a ";" and is ready to take the next email address. The last time I checked (quite some time back) Outlook would not do that. And, from what I understand, there are two completely different development teams at Microsoft working on both products, so the odds of the best features in OE will never make ti to Outlook.
Outlook does this in the Office 2003 version. JT
Old 03-21-2006, 07:52 AM   #5
mortgageguy

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontalotta
Outlook does this in the Office 2003 version. JT

Give Outlook 2003 a try. You may find that you like it better than Express now.
Closed Thread