lgreenberg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
PIN: 2453F457 OR 242B5C50
Carrier: Cingular

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwar11d2
I know this probably 'wouldn't' work, but I wondr if you had a treo/handheld unlimited data added to you account if everything would work
Nope, the Treo's Data Connect plan won't work with a Blackberry.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:56 AM   #62
byron
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250
Carrier: VZW

anyone hear from CingularMK? I'm curious to hear the response from his management.

I got the wap.cingular APN added to my account no questions asked... and i don't mean the WIX pay per use version.. i'm not being charged a dime for my RambleIM usage. I've called at least a half dozen times to CS and BB support both and each one of them says that the BB unilimited plan includes WAP usage.

i will say that I did get a phone call from someone at cingular who claimed to have reviewed one of my calls to support where I was told that wap.cingular usage was included in the BB unlimited plan. he apologized and said I was given incorrect information and that I would be billed per kB. Obviously he didn't add the WIX per per usage line item to my account b/c I am still not being charged for my wap usage.

The following day I called again and explained what was going on and he triple checked with 3 different bosses and supervisors and each of them confirmed that Unlimited data is just what is says.. UNLIMITED. Personally, I think that right now the policy is that WAP usage is not included.... but i think the only reason it isn't included is that they can't tell the difference between actual WAP traffic and tethering traffic... so they are just screwing us all by saying it isn't included. either that or they haven't figured out how to include a billing feature that is normally associated with normal cell phones (for WAP browsing on the cell phone) to a BB account. If data charges start showing up on my account i'll call and have them reversed... and then have the APN added back on my account and keep doing that until cingular makes their policy clear... I'm not paying $45 /month so they can nickle and dime me on BS charges that other providers include for their BB customers. and if in the end cingular makes it a clear policy that WAP usage is NOT included... i will be permitted to cancel my service with no penalty. The supervisor that I last spoke with said that I signed up for the service after I was told it was unlimited data and that if that turns out to be untrue they would let me cancel with no penalty.

it's this kind of stuff that made me leave verizon.. i thought cingular would be better. boy was i wrong.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:49 PM   #63
nlk10010
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CingularMK
The thing is, the more I keep saying this isn't possible, the more people come out of the woodworks that say it IS.

According to Cingular, It's not possible.

According to my Policies and Procedures, Its NOT POSSIBLE.

Rep's keep adding these free APN's for people when this is not allowed

Trust me, I want the BBUnlim plan to come bundled with wap access, I would be sooooo much happier telling people on the phones that they CAN use these things without issue, rather than "We are big profit company we want to ownzor your wallet"

I really am on your guys' side...really...whoever has it, is lucky, Im going to clarify this with my Manager tomorrow as to how/what to do about this.

In fact, Im going to see what I can do about getting this issue escalated, perhaps have it come bundled or at least give us the authority (which we dont have right now, thats the main issue) to add the WAP access for free.

I'll talk to my Sup. tomorrow, promise guys (hell, even I pay overages on the wap data, I only get 5mb per month)
CMK:

I'm still futzing around with this; I am aiming to return the 8700c but the CSR I got on the phone was competent (i.e. knew when she didn't know something) so I'm giving it another try. I DID have WIX pay-per-use on my plan (I never requested it); it seems this is consistent with your post earlier that PPU is a default. Unfortunately, I WAS also running up data charges. So I was passed to another rep who is supposedly going to credit me for those charges and who I asked to PLEASE REMOVE THE WIX PPU from my plan. My intention is to put myself in a situation where I CAN'T run up data charges (I have the BBUNLIMITED plan). Maybe some apps won't work but at least I won't be charged. What confuses me is that my TCP APN entries were blank, yet I was STILL being charged Pay Per Use.

My first question: is the activation of the WAP APN done independently of the phone (perhaps when PPU is added) at your office? That is, does it make sense that even though my APN entries were blank I was STILL accessing the network through the WAP APN and being charged?

My second question: IF there is no WIX PPU on my plan can I POSSIBLY run up data charges? Will it ever somehow be "automatically" added back to my plan "behind-my-back"?

I should say that even after the line was removed I could run Google Local and berry411 no problem. So, if your answer to the second question is "NO", then anything I do data-wise without WIX PPU on my plan is covered by the BB UNLIMITED PLAN, so that anyone with the BBUnlimited plan should be able to use GoogleLocal and berry411 without charges. I should note that bbWeather would NOT work without an entry in my TCP/APN fields.

I believe some of the problems that people are having with "Network not available" messages are something else entirely, perhaps the handset not being registered properly.

Believe me, the only reasons I'm going through these contortions is because I have a NEED to solve problems and I'd like to stay with the Cingular 8700. And if you would be so kind as to try and answer my two questions above then I would have more complete information to help me decide.

Thanks.

=NLK=
Old 02-17-2006, 02:27 PM   #64
nb_mitch
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: AT&T

My features list contains this:

BLACKBERRYCONNECTUNL $44.99
/BLACKBERRY CONNECT WAP $0.00
BLACKBERRYCONNECTUNL $0.00

My bill has no "pay per use" and I do have voice plan too but I still got hit with $51.44 this month. They gladly remove the charges, but after 4 months of no charges, the last 4 have had charges. I am giving 2 more months to get it right (aka Unlimited) and then I will move on to another carrier. T-Mobile is looking better every day
Old 02-17-2006, 02:37 PM   #65
nlk10010
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb_mitch

My bill has no "pay per use" and I do have voice plan too but I still got hit with $51.44 this month. They gladly remove the charges, but after 4 months of no charges, the last 4 have had charges. I am giving 2 more months to get it right (aka Unlimited) and then I will move on to another carrier. T-Mobile is looking better every day
Mitch:

I was afraid of this. The only difference, however, between your lines and mine seems to be the /BLACKBERRY CONNECT WAP (I also have a "/" at the start of your third line above but that's probably inessential). I'm going to double-check and see if somehow the WAP was added.

I know I'm reaching for straws; I should have said in my previous post that ALL I have is the BLACKBERRY CONNECT UNL (twice, one with the 44.99 and another with a "/" and .00). No WAP anywhere within 20 lines of BLACKBERRY CONNECT UNL. Maybe that will do it. I don't know.

BTW, do you have anything in your TCP/APN fields?

(Why the hell we have to reverse engineer this garbage is beyond me, but I guess Cingular figures that if people are stupid enough to keep hitting their heads up against the wall......) :(

=NLK=
Old 02-17-2006, 03:34 PM   #66
lgreenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb_mitch

Do you have a voice plan?
Old 02-17-2006, 03:36 PM   #67
obstacles can kill
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

lgreenberg, im PMing you my PIN. add me to your bbmessenger (you were on it for my last BB but i have a different PIN now). i have some things to tell you

BB Inventory:
9000, 8310, 8800,
8100 x2 (One Black, One Red), 8700c, 7290
Old 02-17-2006, 06:18 PM   #68
lrm21

Model: 8700c

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I was able to download google local via my bb. It installed no problems. However when I try to run the app I get no network connection error. I guess I'm in the same boat here. I just got my bb today. Any tips?
Old 02-17-2006, 06:32 PM   #69
nlk10010
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrm21
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I was able to download google local via my bb. It installed no problems. However when I try to run the app I get no network connection error. I guess I'm in the same boat here. I just got my bb today. Any tips?
Well, I'm probably the last one who should be giving advice, but what the heck, I've got nothing else to do.

Are you on a BES or BIS? How many browsers do you have out of the Cingular, Internet (HTML) and BES Blackberry ones. Do they all connect?

=NLK=
Old 02-17-2006, 09:59 PM   #70
lrm21

I have just the cingular medianet browser. I have BIS I got the unlmtd data bb plan. That's it no other browsers. I acces these forums through a link I sent myself in an email.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:21 PM   #71
nlk10010
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

OK. I'm posting remotely so can't go into details but my guess is you're missing a service book. Search this forum for instructions on registering or getting new service books sent. Or just call Cingular BB support and tell them you're missing the HTML browser. Good Luck. =NLK=
Old 02-18-2006, 01:08 AM   #72
byron
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250
Carrier: VZW

ya.. prolly IPPP for BIBS or Blackberry Internet Browsing Service
Old 02-18-2006, 09:40 AM   #73
lrm21

Ok i sent myself the service book via the webclient and no change in my icons. Dont see any new browsers.

So im guessing my next step is to call cingular and see i get lucky and find someone to enable my wap.cingular access?
Old 02-18-2006, 10:57 AM   #74
nlk10010
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrm21
Ok i sent myself the service book via the webclient and no change in my icons. Dont see any new browsers.

So im guessing my next step is to call cingular and see i get lucky and find someone to enable my wap.cingular access?
Not unless you've got a lot of spare cash.

Actually, since you HAVE the Cingular browser and are presumably posting through it you already have all the WAP access you need. GoogleLocal, it is said, uses the Blackberry APN. What you need is to get all your service books straight. When (if) you call Cingular simply tell them you don't have the Internet browser (the one that says "Blackberry" when you launch it). Period. Done. If you can't get GoogleLocal to work without adding WAP to your account then something is wrong (then again, something is wrong at Cingular anyway).

Seriously, first things first. Get the Internet Browser showing. Then try Google Local. And after everything's straight go online and check to make sure that lines for WIX pay-per-use and/or Blackberry WAP access haven't been added to your account.

=NLK=
Old 02-18-2006, 01:12 PM   #75
lrm21

Well what do you know.. I called cingular the BB Support and explained to the rep I need WAP Access for work and to also please enable my BB Browser since I only had the medianet.

She said no problem, told me WAP access was enabled already, then she walked me through the re-register phone process. After the 2 minute call, I hang up and Google local is now working and my BB Browser is enabled. I have not changed my TCP settings.

Tried the Jive client but that is not working. It says it cannot tunnel.
I'll check my phone bill, but as far as the rep explained this is all under the BB unlimited plan.

gluck
Old 02-18-2006, 03:45 PM   #76
fxstsb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CingularMK
The thing is, the more I keep saying this isn't possible, the more people come out of the woodworks that say it IS.

According to Cingular, It's not possible.

According to my Policies and Procedures, Its NOT POSSIBLE.

Rep's keep adding these free APN's for people when this is not allowed

Trust me, I want the BBUnlim plan to come bundled with wap access, I would be sooooo much happier telling people on the phones that they CAN use these things without issue, rather than "We are big profit company we want to ownzor your wallet"

I really am on your guys' side...really...whoever has it, is lucky, Im going to clarify this with my Manager tomorrow as to how/what to do about this.

In fact, Im going to see what I can do about getting this issue escalated, perhaps have it come bundled or at least give us the authority (which we dont have right now, thats the main issue) to add the WAP access for free.

I'll talk to my Sup. tomorrow, promise guys (hell, even I pay overages on the wap data, I only get 5mb per month)
I couldn't help chime in; I had BB at no cost for some period (1 yr) and swapped phones and lost it. I have bee provisioned with blackberry continually since my first berry. It was only a matter of provisioning. So with that said the cost to cingular must have been minimal since it was only provisioning. I have since purchased a new 8700 and felt guilty because I was getting data connect free anong with wap. But I have been a subscriber for a long time and have been grandfathered to many features.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:47 PM   #77
obstacles can kill
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

suddenly as of today, my BB wont connect to wap.cingular anymore. who messed with my account?

BB Inventory:
9000, 8310, 8800,
8100 x2 (One Black, One Red), 8700c, 7290
Old 02-19-2006, 06:49 AM   #78
lgreenberg

R u serious?

For god sakes................
Closed Thread