Old 02-07-2006, 07:00 PM   #1
marcfogel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T
Default OTA - Enterprise Activation - Cingular

Please Login to Remove!

I have been unable to get my Cingular BB to Activate over the Air through
Mailstreet. The Mailstreet techs blame me. A few weeks ago I spoke with a tech who said Congular has certain password requirements for OTA enterprise Activation to work. Unfortunately, I dont know the techs name I spoke with.

Is anyone familiar with this and do you know the requirements?

Thanks
Marc
Old 02-08-2006, 08:44 AM   #2
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcfogel
A few weeks ago I spoke with a tech who said Congular has certain password requirements for OTA enterprise Activation to work.
Hogwash! When I have a user who is having trouble activating, I have the activation password reset to a single letter password. Usually we use 'q' (lower case Q) just to be simple, and even on a 710x it is a single keypress. If you let us know more details of what you have done, someone on here might be able to help.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-08-2006, 11:12 AM   #3
marcfogel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hogwash Nothing!!!!

Listen, I activated many T-MO and Verizon BB OTA without a hitch. I could never get a Cingular to activate OTA. I have been on the phone with tech support from Mailstreet as well as Cingular. I finally got to the point that my time was better spend just using the cable. I was in a situation where one of my clients was out on the road and I had to activate his Cingular 8700c OTA. I called Mailstreet tech support and the peson I spoke with informed me that Cingular had specific password requirements. It may be eight characters I don't recall. When the tech reset the passwords with these requirements OTA activation worked without a hitch.

I have had OTA EA passwords set to mm without any luck.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:23 PM   #4
bkmrk7
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular

my 2 cents worth...
I just did an OTA E. activation 3 hrs. ago with a Cingular 8700. Server is in Ohio, user is in Chicago. Used the password m
Did one last week as well where the user is in Canada. (an 7100 that time)
RIM tech. support was the one who suggested this password to me months ago during a support call.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:25 PM   #5
T-Roy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Darth Vader

There is no password length requirement. Single letter passwords such as M, or L are recommended during troubleshooting because on any keyboard - SureType or Full-Qwerty there is only 1 character on the key. Its typically a fat-fingering issue.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:17 PM   #6
marcfogel
Thumbs Must Hurt

I can only report my experience and what I was told by a Mailstreet Engineer.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:46 AM   #7
easy-v
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: None
Carrier: None

I have problems OTA 8700's from Cingular. I have discovered if you wipe and reload the handheld before OTA, it will provision. Cingular Blue support also told me this.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:22 AM   #8
Kablooey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: 25ee2d53
Carrier: AT&T and Verizon 9650

We have over 1500 Cingular BlackBerry devices on our BES server and we constantly do over the air activations for various device models-7100, 7210, 7280, 7290 and 8700s- and other than some occassional "data service" errors, the activation is pretty seemless. Here is my suggestion to you:

Step 1- Send a Pin2Pin message to the user's handheld, if is delivered and received than the user has data service
Step 2- Make sure the user's e-mail is working, send a message from hotmail/yahoo/gmail and reply...make sure it works
Step 3- Perform the OTA activation...ensure the e-mail address is correct (users will often fat finger something in their address!)
Step 4- Monitor the mailbox for the activation message. It should pop up in the users mailbox for a second or two before it is extracted by the server.

If something fails after step 3, it could very well be a mail configuration issue with the Mailstreet mailbox and could be several things depending on the version of BES they are running.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-09-2006, 11:15 AM   #9
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-v
I have problems OTA 8700's from Cingular. I have discovered if you wipe and reload the handheld before OTA, it will provision. Cingular Blue support also told me this.
Just to verify easy-v's statement, there is a BlackBerry Technical Knowledge Center article available on this.
http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgec...66238&vernum=7

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-09-2006, 03:21 PM   #10
marcfogel
Thumbs Must Hurt

I wasnt getting that far with the 8700 or any other Cingular BB.

I have the same problem with 7100g, 7290, and 8700c

I though I was doing something wrong until I realized I was only having the problem with Cingular Blackberrys

I would start enterprise activation and it would immediately hang.

As I said, the only time I could get my Cingular to activate over the air is when the Mailstreet Engineer reset the password to meet the certain requirements. Please understand, he is the one who told me there were requirements.

I wish I could remember what he reset it to.

Once done, I activated 3 8700 OTA without a problem
Old 02-09-2006, 03:45 PM   #11
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Remembering what he reset it to wouldn't help after activation makes it past a certain point. Once it's gets there, the password is automatically invalidated. At least that's what they told me once when I was having trouble. He made sure to say, "If you get to a certain point and there's a problem, let me know because I'll have to reset the password again." I think the "certain point" is when it validates the security settings on the device, but I'm not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcfogel
I wasnt getting that far with the 8700 or any other Cingular BB.

I have the same problem with 7100g, 7290, and 8700c

I though I was doing something wrong until I realized I was only having the problem with Cingular Blackberrys

I would start enterprise activation and it would immediately hang.

As I said, the only time I could get my Cingular to activate over the air is when the Mailstreet Engineer reset the password to meet the certain requirements. Please understand, he is the one who told me there were requirements.

I wish I could remember what he reset it to.

Once done, I activated 3 8700 OTA without a problem
Old 02-10-2006, 06:38 AM   #12
marcfogel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdpmumin
Remembering what he reset it to wouldn't help after activation makes it past a certain point. Once it's gets there, the password is automatically invalidated. At least that's what they told me once when I was having trouble. He made sure to say, "If you get to a certain point and there's a problem, let me know because I'll have to reset the password again." I think the "certain point" is when it validates the security settings on the device, but I'm not sure.
I wish I knew for future Cingular activation. Like I said, This was the only time I was able to get CIngular devices to ativate OTA
Old 02-17-2006, 01:22 AM   #13
Snyder81
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

I activate Cingular handhelds all day long with 1 and 2 character passwords. Usually problems with OTA activation stem from fat-fingered e-mail addresses(as mentioned above) or if it's not a new user, perhaps their account on the server has something weird going on. If the activations file, I quickly remove and re-add the users BES account and then activation works great.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:51 AM   #14
Kablooey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: 25ee2d53
Carrier: AT&T and Verizon 9650

Marcfogel:
As an experiment, try wiping the user's handheld and removing the user from the BES (clearing the mailbox data) and add the user back to the BES (clearing the statistics) and then go through the enterprise activation process again. Sometimes there could be bad data in the user's configuration that interferes with the activation process.
Closed Thread