Old 03-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
stress-relief
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9650
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Battery complete discharges at night while turned off

Please Login to Remove!

I have a BB 9650 bold. I had several incidents with my battery completely discharging over night while sitting on a table. My normal routine is that I turn the BB off at night, and charge it until the green light comes on. I leave it off and place it on my nightstand until the morning. Four times this happened on my original BB 9650 and Verizon gave me a warranty replacement after the same thing happened after they gave me a replacement battery.

I've had a replacement 9650 bold for about three weeks know. Last night I charged as usual, left the BB turned off and this morning the battery was completely dead on the new replacement 9650. After I recharged it this morning everything seems to be back to normal.

Am I doing something wrong? Any ideas on what's going on. By the way the replacement BB came with OS 6 installed.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: Battery complete discharges at night while turned off

Your not turning the BB off its going into standby mode or just blanking the screen. When you turn it back on it should take quite a while to reload the OS and come up to full operation.
The bigger issue is when a lithium battery is fully discharged it will never recharge to a full state. Never allow it to fully discharge.

Read this link

KB04762-Turn Off and Full Power Off
Old 03-10-2011, 02:16 PM   #3
stress-relief

tsac,
When I push the button to turn off my Blackberry, I get a message on the screen "turning hand held off" it further states to press and key to stop the turn-off.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #4
jaszman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9300
Carrier: T-Mobile

Shipmate, what tsac is saying is that even though your phone says you are turning it off by pushing the red (end call) button, and after pushing that button it even tells you that it is powering off, what it is really doing is going into standby mode, just like your computer goes into standby mode when you put it to sleep.

The Blackberry phone (which is really more of a small computer, not a phone) is still performing many background functions like searching for cellphone signals, running wi-fi and bluetooth, uplinking downloaded application info, etc. while it is in standby mode.

The only way to completely shut off a Blackberry is to take out the battery, and many people do this at night to clear system memory, shut off applications that are running in the background, and start out the day with the available memory maximized. This is what is called a hard reset.

What tsac is also warning you about is that now that you have had issues with your batteries completely discharging (a very bad thing for a blackberry battery) you may still have battery issues even though you have changed your shut down procedure from using the red (power off/end call) key to pulling the battery (hard reset). The problem may continue because the batteries are damaged.

Try changing how you shut down at night, and if the battery problem continues get a new battery and that should solve your problem.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:36 PM   #5
stress-relief

jaszman,
Thanks for your explanation. I'm new to smart phones and have a lot to learn about them.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:43 PM   #6
jaszman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Your welcome shipmate. Take your time and using your phone will teach you about half of what you need to know, the rest of it you'll learn on sites like this one.

Remember, use the SEARCH button at the top menu bar, a lot of good info to be found in there. Also remember that Blackberry phones just start acting hinkey for no reason at all and a battery pull (remove the battery, wait 30 sec, re-install) will fix the problem 9 times out of 10.

If the guys on this site can teach an old worn out Boatswains Mate like me how to do this, you should be a cinch to teach.

By the way, what kind of warfare pin is that on your profile? looks like two carp trying to chew on a garbage can LOL
Old 03-19-2011, 02:29 PM   #7
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Even though I said that it took to seasalts talking the same( salty) language to clarify.
Thanks jaszman

Last edited by tsac; 03-19-2011 at 02:32 PM..
Old 03-23-2011, 07:20 PM   #8
jaszman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Your welcome, god knows all you guys have wasted an enormous amount of your personal trying to help me, so I owe you.
Closed Thread