BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 12:23 PM   #81
antvega
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7130c
Carrier: T-mobile

Please Login to Remove!

For anyone in the NYC area...check out the Samsung store in the Time Warner Center...they have a Samsung phone there that has a SureType keyboard and its a flipphone and I believe it has a camera. Now I know its not a RIM device...but it is a flip phone with a Native SureType keyboard and a camera. I would have taken a pic but just as I pulled out my camera, three employees came out of nowhere and told me they'd have to confiscate my cam if I took any pics...then they followed my around the whole store.

Anyway...like I said, if you are in NYC stop by the Time Warner Center (Columbus Circle, 59th Street) and see it for yourself....take a pic of it too if you can.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:11 PM   #82
netwiz01
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: 32B21BE5
Carrier: Sprint, Power up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBorges187
no no no you guys are looking at this all wrong, a flip blackberry would not be such a bad idea at all. Make it look like that little motorola text messaging phone. to make a call you keep it closed and there is a keypad and a lil monochrome or collor screen and cam on the outside. inside there is room for more screen put the keypad on the left side and the croll on the right side but not on the side on the top like on a mouse or on a sk2 and the exit button right under it. anybody good with photoshop i have it in my head but cant exactly put it together

What good is a cam without a flash?

I don't think putting a camera on a BB will do too much for sales. Those pics are for kids in school, not adults. Plus most carriers charge you for email those pics, which is even more ridiculous.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:51 PM   #83
djbeenie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: 20F7C0E8
Carrier: TMO

Actualy there will be a blackberry flip phone.

http://europe.nokia.com/nokia/0,,60764,00.html

Only available in Europe at the moment.

This uses the new blackberry connect technology. I do not think this works with Groupwise though.

Regards,
Beenie
Old 02-13-2006, 04:23 PM   #84
sfischer

Model: 8700R

Why would it not work with groupwise? (BB Connect devices use the licensed BlackBerry code) - mail server's relatively transparent (provided they're running the groupwise bes, they should be fine).
Old 02-17-2006, 02:40 PM   #85
nb_mitch
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

I have seen the 9300 before, I don't see the point, it is as big if not bigger than a 71xx series BB, I want a flip BB that I can put in my pocket and not have to wear it as a brick on my side.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:31 PM   #86
ccolburn

Model: 7520

A lot of feedback about thinking the BB with the flip would be too thick. Give RIM some credit. The reason they dont have one yet is cause it would be too thick. When they get the technology to where they can get the various chip sets even smaller than they are now, they will hit the market with with a flip.

When their flip BB hits the streets it will be like the rest of their stuff.............genius!!!!

I can't wait!!!!
Old 05-15-2006, 08:06 PM   #87
FlyingElvis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Ok, I have a name for this new BB... *drum roll*

A clam with a cam.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:41 PM   #88
paradisephoto
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Verizon

I have seen a prototype on the net a few months back that was a BB flip phone (Samsung, I believe). Never say never, there are those who needs BB as phones before they need the PDA/Email machine side, don't be surprised if they pull it off.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:24 PM   #89
cschrage
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700

The Samsung SGH-T719 looks promising. Sure, Blackberry Connect is not the greatest...but I can handle some of it's short coming just to have a phone berry.

http://www.mobileburn.com/news.jsp?Page=3&Id=2274
Old 07-12-2006, 04:55 PM   #90
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wow-this thread has come back from the dead more times than William Shatner's career!
Old 07-12-2006, 05:03 PM   #91
mistWalker

Model: 8700g

If they are going to copy a Samsung design, perhaps they should attempt something similar to the Samsung D307. If they can achieve the same design in a slightly thinner body, I don't see why a flip would be out of the question.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:14 PM   #92
ItsAllVerbatim
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
Carrier: Verizon

My 2 cents:

They already have SureType.

So...
What's taking so long? People buy Blackberries for BB reliability and ease of use.
A scroll wheel located where a omnidirectional or d-pad normally would be, slightly recessed with a 1.8, maybe 1.5" screen, and SureType keys. In a Moto v600 or Nextel i860 size package, and you'd have a masterpiece.

Not everyone wants the full QWERTY. I am blessed enough to be able to afford having two concurrent BB's with two plans. But not all are...so RIM should pump out a BB flip. And then, just maybe, we could crush texting once and for all.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:32 PM   #93
mistWalker

Model: 8700g

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllVerbatim
My 2 cents:

They already have SureType.

So...
What's taking so long? People buy Blackberries for BB reliability and ease of use.
A scroll wheel located where a omnidirectional or d-pad normally would be, slightly recessed with a 1.8, maybe 1.5" screen, and SureType keys. In a Moto v600 or Nextel i860 size package, and you'd have a masterpiece.

Not everyone wants the full QWERTY. I am blessed enough to be able to afford having two concurrent BB's with two plans. But not all are...so RIM should pump out a BB flip. And then, just maybe, we could crush texting once and for all.
While it's not a BB, the upcoming Samsung T719 might very well give you what you want.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:22 AM   #94
adamlau
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: Sprint

I prefer the current candybar form factors.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:52 AM   #95
cschrage
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700

I am really not a huge fan of SureType but the size of this device will guarantee a purchase from me.
I like things in my pocket, not on my waist.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:26 PM   #96
FlyingElvis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I'd buy a BB flip in a NY minute. First, I'm happy with SureType and a flip would yield more real estate for keys and screen.

I don't see the downside of a flip. Almost all phones coming out now are flip phones. One less button to type for answering and ending calls.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:30 PM   #97
Zro
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfischer
Why would it not work with groupwise? (BB Connect devices use the licensed BlackBerry code) - mail server's relatively transparent (provided they're running the groupwise bes, they should be fine).
Hate to bring this topic back from the dead (again) but thought i'd give an answer to sfischer's post...

BlackBerry Connect devices will not work with GroupWise because they do not support Enterprise Activation. Currently, Domino and Exchange holds information in the user's mailbox about the handheld and it's settings...therefore the user actually interfaces with the mailbox (when connected) not the BES.

In GroupWise, there is no such section of the mailbox for BlackBerry data. Everything is stored in the configuration database. In order for you to activate any BlackBerry through the wire on your desktop, you'd have to access the SQL/MSDE database to write your information to it. That would mean giving EVERYONE access to the database...bad idea.

So, you may ask about activating through the wire connected directly to the server (the other activation option for handhelds on GroupWise) and that's where we run into the other issue. The HandHeld Manager connects to the BlackBerry JVM...BBConnect's don't have a BlackBerry JVM, it's just an application running on top of the device's operating system, hence, no way to connect to it.

There is a slight exception to this rule however and that's the Seimans SK65. This is a BlackBerry Built In device and therefore does run the BlackBerry JVM...and therefore, with a little work, you can get one attached to a GroupWise BES...but only for Email, no wireless calendar.

So there's the answer of why BBC's can't connect to a GW BES

Zro
Old 07-16-2006, 05:44 PM   #98
camaxtli
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780
PIN: a colada
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7520/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/103)

Ditto
Old 07-16-2006, 08:08 PM   #99
Dylan Trott

Model: 7280

I really dig candy bar style. And I love the way BB look now. I keep my BB in its leather case in the pocket of my UFOs all the time.

(i mentioned UFOs cus they have bigger pockets and i only have one pair of non ufo's Plus i got all 3 of my UFOs for 60.00 all together sorry i just like sharing that bargain.)
TRUST ME I'M NOT SPOILED, I JUST KNOW HOW TO SAVE MY MONEY.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:56 PM   #100
absolved
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

I bring this thread back from the dead!
It wasn't on purpose, well I mean I was gonna make a post on it anyway but didn't want to be bashed for not using the "search" button. =P I just wanted to mention that I did a general search on flip blackberry phones since I was trying to convince her to get one but she hates when the keys and screens are exposed. It was the first thing to come up in google search. This has been a very interesting journey indeed reading through the posts.

Also very interesting to see when the first post was made, and now we come to the time my post was made, and now there indeed IS a camera on the blackberry (8100). lol.

Anyway back to the topic I guess (?). I wouldn't mind seeing a flip BB, I think it's highly possible now seeing how small they can make them now.

Last edited by absolved; 10-13-2006 at 10:10 PM..
Closed Thread