Old 04-20-2010, 01:37 AM   #1
jhonperkins

Model: N/A
PIN: N/A
Carrier: N/A
Smile Newbie BB Questions

Please Login to Remove!

Hello everyone,

As a potential new BB user, I have been researching for a couple of days on the cons and the pros of the several available models.

Comes out the cheaper for me would be 8520, which as far as I understand is vastly inferior to the Bold 2 (9700), which is so to speak, the touchless or keyboard version of the Storm 2.

However there are a few things I don't get... was hoping for any of you to gimme a hand

1. The default browser seems to be the gripe here. As I'll be browsing a lot, I need a good one, can the Opera Mini be installed on all 3?
2. Can you upgrade the OS everytime a new version comes out (or in the case of the 8520, I think it comes with 4.x, and now 5.x is available)? Is this free or do I have to pay a fee to RIM?
3. Can all of them sync all info with outlook, out of the box?
4. Can all of them backup all the information, out of the box, installing that manager thingy on the PC?
5. Do they all have an excel and word editor? If not by default, can it be installed on ALL of them, no problems?
6. Do they have powerful alarm system with several configurable alarms and so on...?
7. Can they all be used as a modem for tethering? What happens when your in "modem" mode and a call comes in. Does it stop browsing or it simply is unable to receive the call?
8. Are there issued with memory on all of them, so that they have to be constantly restarted?
9. Are versions backwards compatible in the sense of synching? That is, if I got a 8520 now, would I be able to import all the info into a Storm 3 of the future, or something like that?

Thanks for your time
Old 04-20-2010, 05:20 AM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

8520 does not have GPS, its considered an "entry level" blackberry.
9700 is the latest, and the Storm 2 bares no resemblance to either.

1.yes
2.Yes you can upgrade, yes its free
3.Once desktop manager is installed, and correctly configured, yes.
4.yes
5.It should come pre-installed with "docstogo" which can edit (once registered if memory serves) documents transfered to the device. To create new ones, you need to pay for the premium version.
6.It has an alarm system, with one alarm. Further alarms can be configured within the calendar.
7.Not sure on this, where they could all be used for tethering, your carrier may not allow tethering without a tethering (or extra plus etc) data plan.
8.Not constantly, and not always regarding memory. Pulling the battery is a restart and fixes almost any issue you may have.
9. yes.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 04-20-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
jaredco
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Rogers

Be careful with tethering as your data provider may want to charge you for that. Check with them to see what they alllow.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:00 PM   #4
jhonperkins

Thanks a lot guys

Yes, I did research with my provider and they don't charge for tethering, as I'd be taking a "Blackberry" data plan, which includes unlimited navigation, obviously it won't be near as fast as what you guys have in the US or Europe.

One last question, what are the advantages of Blackberry messenger? At first I thought it would be free, but I need a Blackberry plan, either one that allows social networking + messenger or mail accounts + messenger.
In any case, getting a data plan (which can be use with any other internet browsing device) gives me the possibility of using MS Live Messenger, or Yahoo messenger and such.. so under that premise what advantage does the Blackberry messenger has? (If I have to pay for some sort of data plan for it anyway).
Old 04-21-2010, 05:34 AM   #5
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

BB messenger is BB to BB using the unique PIN number of the phone.
So, if you have friends that have BB's, its basically and always on (no sign in) connection, so you can contact them whenever.
If like I did, you have no friends with BB's, its useless.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 04-22-2010, 11:17 PM   #6
jhonperkins

Thanks a lot MidnightDraven!
Right now I'm thinking about getting off the bus of buying a BB and going for a HTC-alike touch option instead.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:13 AM   #7
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

I went from BB to HTC HD2...so its not a bad choice.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:42 AM   #8
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Actually, you should first pick your cell carrier - find the one that works best for you where you need it - where you live, work, travel and play.

Since you don't say where your are or what carrier you plan to use , it makes it somewhat difficult to help out with a specific model. From those you are asking about, I assume that you are going to use a GSM carrier. If you are in the US, remember that TMO and ATT are not exactly interchangeable any longer as they use different 3 G frequencies.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Closed Thread