Old 12-26-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
twinglock40z
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted

What all bugs is the new leaked os fixing on the storm 2? Because of a few issues that are really starting to get to me I'm thinking about taking it back to get something else. But if the new os is fixing these problems I would love to keep the device as I have grown pretty attached to it.

The battery life though is seriously killing me. I understand that its going to use more power than my curve did. But its seriously no where near even remotely decent.

The bottom keys not working is actually getting worse as time goes by. My best friend and I bought the s2 at the same exact time. It was his first bb and my third. By the first week he started asking me if I was having problems with my call button on the bottom row. I told him he was crazy. Well then a week later I began having a problem every now and then. I believe its progressively getting worse as now I notice it everyday. The bottom row bottoms are also starting to be quite noisy(like creaking boards) which I think may be getting worse also.

Another thing that's got me upset is the absence of a "send" option when replying to emails that came in through an email you have set up on your bb. You can not respond to an email! I've tried resending my service books, battery pulls, and even called tech support. They tried to tell me it was because of a the theme I was using but I switched back to the original and it still won't me let me. This would be a MAJOR problem if I didn't have the google mail app on my phone. So I basically have to get in that app whenever responding to emails. I know it sounds trivial but when you spend a large amount of your time at work everyday just responding to emails, it gets very annoying and time consuming when you could have otherwise sent a very quick response without having to start another app.

And one last thing. My phone is not alerting me when I have an email. I transferred my profiles from my previous bb over to my s2. I use the same tone and exact same settings for email as I do for text. Well it alerts me when I have a text but not when I have an email...this is really pissing me off as this is one of the main reason I need a bb.

Ok so enough ranting. I really do like the phone. I love typing on it and have gotten super fast. Faster than I was on my curve which I didn't think was possible.

So yea...
....?
Old 12-26-2009, 09:45 PM   #2
dlsolo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

For one, yes the leaked OS will address battery concerns. It's won't be the extreme night and day, but there will be much improvement.

Secondly, when transferring your backups from your Curve to your Storm2, you need to remember that not everything transfers well. Sound Profiles is one of them. That's one of those where you want to setup it up from scratch, rather than using the sound profile from your curve. 5.0 OS's are setup different than 4.0's.

Thirdly, I would try updating the OS, resend your services books, and test out some of the problems you're having and see if they resolve themselves. Do all of that WITHOUT restoring your backup. If your problems cease, then I would suggest restoring specific items you need. Like Messages, SMS, Calendar, Browser URLs, etc... Don't restore everything and I would suggest not restoring your sound profile from your Curve.

And the last thing, if the .428 OS doesn't fix your lower button issues, I would take that Storm2 back to Verizon for a new one. Don't hesitate on that too. Also, something to check out, remove the battery of your Storm2 and see where it was assembled. if you have issues with your replacement Storm2, and it's the same assembled place, request one from another place. Canada and Mexico seem to be the two most popular. Mine was manufactured in Mexico and have no issues.

Okay, i'll stop talking now... this is just my two cents.

Keep us posted.

Edited to add: The leaked OS fixes most peoples button problems. Also, homescreen icons that update (i.e. BerryWeather, Meterberry...) has been fixed. Now they will update correctly. It also is a bit faster and no extreme memory leaks.
This is Betsy!! She ain't stock!
Unitronic Chipped

Last edited by dlsolo; 12-26-2009 at 09:47 PM.. Reason: forgot to add...
Old 12-27-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
twinglock40z
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlsolo View Post
For one, yes the leaked OS will address battery concerns. It's won't be the extreme night and day, but there will be much improvement.

Secondly, when transferring your backups from your Curve to your Storm2, you need to remember that not everything transfers well. Sound Profiles is one of them. That's one of those where you want to setup it up from scratch, rather than using the sound profile from your curve. 5.0 OS's are setup different than 4.0's.

I've known everything I know to do in the profile. I have all the profiles set up basically the same way. I did go in and manually reconfigure the profile to make sure that the email alerts were set up right. Everything in that section is right. I went to the Verizon store last night and waited for 2 hours to have someone tell me that I should not update the os on my phone yet. hmmmm....but then they also couldnt tell me what the problem was with email alerts and the whole "send" button thing to send emails. I would have gotten a replacement then but they advised me they did not have any at the time at this particular store. so yea....
Old 12-27-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Upgrading the OS to .428 didn't fix the issue of not being able to end a call, for me, when pressing the red end call key. It is not constant, only a few times a week.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:05 PM   #5
twinglock40z
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

Well honestly mine started out with me not having an issue at all with any of the bottom buttons. But it IS progressively getting worse with ALL of them, the green send/answer button being the worse.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:12 AM   #6
inetguyr

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

I'm having the same issue. Sometimes my green send key works and sometimes it doesnt. Its so frustrating!

When I pull the battery, it seems to fix it for a bit...
Old 12-31-2009, 02:01 PM   #7
twinglock40z
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

I was in the verizon store a couple days ago. The first thing the guy says is "how many apps do you have running". He kind of rudely grabbed my phone and pulled up all the apps which were running. He says well that's your problem right there. I replied what does that matter? I told him I don't care if I have every app on the whole phone running, I want my bottom buttons to work. He looked at me like I slapped his mother. So I told him that I have done battery pulls when it was acting up and after the phone comes back on I still have issues with it without all the apps running. I told him to pull the battery to see for himself. Then he was like oh no I believe you in a somewhat smartastic tone. So then he says let me get you to a tech. I was thinking to myself really....? So at this point I was kind of irritated. So I threw a little smartass back his way and said well THANKS cuz that's whom I told the sign up lady I wanted to talk to!

Ok so talking to a tech was like night and day in contrast to the other dip......(Fill in your own word). So he was like oh my gosh it is bad. And your phone is insanely noisy when you press those buttons. He said a lot of it is software but he didn't think the leaked os would fix it completely. So he put in for a new phone to be shipped to me. The whole process with him took a total of 2 mins if that.

So I got the phone that same day...WOW!
Its been 2 days and this is my first day that I'm actually going to have time to do the swap over. So we'll see. Oh and by the way. I have made an observation about the buttons on my phone. The colder it is the harder they are to press. The actual screen still works great but the bottom seems to get worse in really cold weather.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:35 PM   #8
haephaestus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: head, Zippy

I don't think there is a physical problem with the phone. There are times I get the stuck/hard-to-press Send key. It only seems to happen on the Send key. It's not really stuck, just really really difficult to press.

I've noticed when it's stuck, if I were to swipe the non-button area of the touchscreen, it would come 'unstuck' right away. It's as if the touchscreen thinks the device has gone to sleep or something.

This has happened on a previous Storm2 as well. It may or may not apply to your situation, but at least it gives me hope that maybe it's a software glitch and not a hardware defect.

Cheers!
Old 02-01-2010, 09:24 PM   #9
BUC
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: Movistar

Yesterday it happened to my second Storm 2... but this time with the Menu button... and just a little bit... I click and hold the key and it would double or triple click on itself (that is the noise you hear) and I really hope it is software related... if this is the sensors getting bad, then RIM design a bad quality phone...
I am beggining to think that "4 buttons" pressing down many times VS full qwerty is not such a good idea...
Old 02-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #10
Cory
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9950
PIN: 30FD6DBB

I am not sure what you mean about not being able to send emails? I send emails all of the time. All you need to do is push the BB Menu button twice...the first push brings up the menu and SEND is highlighted, by simply pressing the menu button again, it will send the message. I find it strange there is no SEND button in the email area, but the way BB has you do it is still fast and efficient.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:50 AM   #11
twinglock40z
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory
I am not sure what you mean about not being able to send emails? I send emails all of the time. All you need to do is push the BB Menu button twice...the first push brings up the menu and SEND is highlighted, by simply pressing the menu button again, it will send the message. I find it strange there is no SEND button in the email area, but the way BB has you do it is still fast and efficient.
Yea the send option was not there. Lol. Seriously I've had several blackberrys...not like I'm a newb at this. Well my second phone has the send option. Don't ask me. All I did was the swap over process. This storm works flawlessly. No problems with any of the buttons at all.

So I get all my alerts. I haven't changed anything. All the profiles are the same as they were from my curve over to the first storm2(where I wasn't getting alerts) then device swap over to the second storm2 where I am getting all the alerts just as I was on the curve.

Oh and the last thing. The battery life is lime night and day. It doesn't last as long as my curve did but then again I don't expect this. But it last at least double the time my first s2 was.

I'm happy now. Phone is great.
Closed Thread