BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 06:50 AM   #1
Pastycat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange UK
Default phone fell into a couple inches of tea!

Please Login to Remove!

Feel like such a plank!
using phone last night, put it ontop of a mug that was besides me (do quite often) didnt think to check it and it fell keyboard first into the mug! litrally only for a couple of seconds, took it to kitchen and dried it as best i could then dropped it into a pot of rice over night,
put the battery in this morning and got the normal start up red light but thats it, nothing more, have taken it apart and using cotton buds cleaned it up as best i can etc. but still nothing, i have since put it back int he sealed pot of rice and have it in the airing cupboard,
ive checked the two wdi's on the battery and the top of the phone and they are both fine, no markings at all, but i didnt notice any others when i took it apart,

is there anything that i can do to get it up and running again?? or is it just a leave it a few days and hope for the best?? am absolutely gutted about it as loved that phone! have ressurected my old 8700 but its not a patch on it! feels prehistoric!

feel such a numpty!
any help very gratfeully received!
Old 01-09-2010, 07:21 AM   #2
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

Let it sit in that rice for several days before trying. Hopefully trying it the next morning wasn't the kiss of death for the phone.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #3
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Lets Go Canes!)

What may add to the device's downfall is that you placed the battery in too soon and did your startup. If do not intend to get a replacement, enjoy your 8700 phone back.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 01-09-2010, 11:40 AM   #4
Pastycat
Thumbs Must Hurt

thanks for the messages,
yeah i wanted the phone to be okay hence the baqttery back in!! dont think i can afford a replacememnt unjless the houde insurance will cover it??
have it in the rice tub in the airing cupboard so will try it tomorow evening (sunday) and see,
fingers crossed!!

the 8700 is a good little phone but just not a patch ont he 8900 lol! miss it to almost the point of tears lol! think i need to Man up a little bit!!!!
Old 01-09-2010, 11:41 AM   #5
paramedic233
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
PIN: ch me, I'm dreaming!
Carrier: Sprint BIS

Personally I won't even take my phone into the bathroom when I shower as I am deathly afraid that the steam will shut my BB down and activate the water indicators. Placing it on top of your mug of tea, well..... I consider you lucky that the steam hasn't damaged it already.
Good luck, keep it in the rice for as long as you can stand it, place it on top of a cable box or some mild heat source, and maybe fire up your computer and start shopping for a replacement!

Last edited by paramedic233; 01-09-2010 at 11:42 AM..
Old 01-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #6
Pastycat
Thumbs Must Hurt

update on thhis!
pulled phone out of the rice tub this evening, but the battery back in and watched, Red led came on for 8second or so then off for about the same time and then back on, again for the same length of time, approx 8 secs on 8 off,
is there anything that can be done??

have had a search on here and think it could be dead, but wondered if the force reloading of the OS might work???
Old 01-11-2010, 10:30 AM   #7
fzfrank
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

I think this is a hardware issue, so I don't think reloading the OS will do you any good.

Not sure this will work -- it's best if you do it right after you drop in in water.
- pull the battery
- take it apart
- soak the electronic parts (not the screen, mic, earphone, battery) in rubbing alcohol
- let it dry (I'm not patient, so I used the exhaust from a vacuum cleaner) overnight
- put back together
- pray

I dropped my 8900 in the toilet (nothing else was in the toilet), performed these steps immediately and now it works perfectly. My brother dropped his iPhone in a river; he couldn't pull the battery or take it apart so he just soaked it in rubbing alcohol and let it dry out -- it works pretty well now.

If you can't get it working and you want to trade for an unlocked fully operational Pearl, send me an IM. I could use the spare parts -- some of them must be good.

Last edited by fzfrank; 01-11-2010 at 10:32 AM..
Old 01-11-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
Pastycat
Thumbs Must Hurt

thanks frank, i just attatched it to the comp via usb and it picked it up straight away as a BB - on the net book which doesnt have any BB software on it, so have downloaded the relevant bits from the bb site to see if it finds it then, figured as it did that with no issues it cant all that dead!??!
will see what it comes up with but will drop in the chemist ont he way up to get the littlun and see if they have asny or know where i can get some isopropyl alcohol, hopefully might be able to get some tomorow??
i know what yo umean about being impatient!! i want it fixed now lol!
if it doesnt work then will get the wife to se if the house insurance has mobile cover!
Old 01-12-2010, 12:31 AM   #9
wobly
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: T-Mobile

I did something similiar to this last week with the wife's 2 day old 8900. I bought it as an anniversary gift on New Year's Eve. Sunday, I decided to put a skin on it and had the bowl of water on the table. I was getting ready to put the skin on the back and set the rest of the phone on my laptop. The BB slid off the laptop and into the bowl of water. It was in there for less than a second. I immediately removed the battery, got out as much of the water as I could and threw it into a bag of rice. I ran to Lowe's and grabbed a T6 torx bit. I disassembled the BB and got the rest of the water out. After putting it back in the rice for a day, I took a chance and put the battery back in. I was happy to see it work! The water indicator on the phone is red, but the battery one is ok.

There IS hope! But, it has to be dried out properly!
Old 01-12-2010, 03:14 AM   #10
Pastycat
Thumbs Must Hurt

well i have found a local supplier of IPA so will pop up and get some aftrer i drop thew littlun of at nursery and do the shopping,
played with it last night witgh the netbook and get to the stage through DM to downgrade it or upgrade to 411 and i get the unable to connect to the internet message on DM but thats with the phone with the battery out,
discovered that with the battery in its struck on the starting loop, battery in, red light on and then normally you get the blackberry screen (os 5) or the hourglass, but mine is just looping back to red light on, light off, light on, light off, and as such on the comp is continually being discovered and then dissapears,
figured i'd give the IPA a try and see if that helps! if not then i'll get the house insurance details out!!
Closed Thread