Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 06:53 PM   #1
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon
Default I Felt The Pain

Please Login to Remove!

There I was, enveloped in darkness and fog, trying to open the door to my vehicle. In one arm, I had a large package of fresh fruit (Apples, and Oranges, and Pears... oh my), and in the other, my keys and a cup of coffee. I clicked the remote and listened for the chirp of the car. Carefully I opened the door and slid the package of fruit into the vehicle. A smile slowly formed on my face, proud that I had not spilled any of my coffee. I shut the door.

Unfortunately, as I felt what I later discovered was the phone slipping from my waist, that smile quickly turned into a wrinkled mess formed of confusion. What was that? I thought to myself.

The sound of plastic striking the asphalt several times left no uncertainty in my mind. My eyes closed, hoping that if I didn't see it, it didn't happen. Because I'm not four years old, however, that didn't work. I looked down to see my BlackBerry 9700 lying face down on the ground like a wounded soldier in battle.

Come on little buddy. You can get up now. Just brush it off and you'll be okay. He didn't move, and my heart skipped a beat. I bent down and turned him over. I think I might have actually gasped for air loud enough for people in the office to hear me. Oh my... the... scars.

Don't look at me! he screamed in anger and embarrassment. I'm hideous! A raindrop hit the screen, running down towards the keyboard like a tear drop.

I picked up the phone and brushed it off. Even in the darkness of the night I could tell the phone was scuffed and dinged. Badly. I felt a pain I had not felt before... a pain as if I had fallen to the ground face first. A pain I didn't want to experience again.

Sigh... I guess it was bound to happen one day, but did this day have to come so soon? So, I'm off to look for replacement parts to clean up my boy. That's the price we pay, I suppose.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.

Last edited by ifonline; 12-14-2009 at 06:57 PM..
Old 12-14-2009, 07:02 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Oh mannnn... sorry to hear.

Well it's battle scarred, but tough enough to survive I know.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:08 PM   #3
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

Wirelessly posted (White and Nerdy)

This is a really cool/funny story.

Not that its good your berry died, but the soldier/phone thing was funny/neat
Old 12-14-2009, 07:11 PM   #4
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Yeah, ok... so it's not as dramatic as I might have made it sound. The phone still works, but ouch, it sure hurt to hear it smack the ground! I'm glad you enjoyed the story, though... that's why I wrote it.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 12-17-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
SgtRick
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

The first scars/scrathes hurt the most.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:59 AM   #6
perpetualjon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A

Great write-up!! Gave me a laugh and a sigh this morning. I've done a similar thing and was so caught up with my phone that I HAD to buy another one that very day. I still call my curve "the only phone I've paid for twice... FULL RETAIL!!" Yes, that's right, I paid $800 for my BB Curve (2 x $400). Now I only carry my phone in a shirt pocket (close to my heart). It's the only phone that actually changed my wardrobe. Now, I only wear pocket shirts. My wife is starting to get it too. She no longer even asks about shirts that don't have a pocket!! I think I still have a couple of non-pocket shirts left but they're only for special "non-phone carrying events"... Good luck with the repairs. I'm sure it won't be that bad.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:11 PM   #7
Raptor464
Kid Tested. Mom Approved.

Model: 9700
PIN: eapple under the sea
Carrier: T-mobile USA

Nominated for post of the year that's two thumbs up!
Old 12-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #8
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetualjon View Post
Great write-up!! Gave me a laugh and a sigh this morning. I've done a similar thing and was so caught up with my phone that I HAD to buy another one that very day. I still call my curve "the only phone I've paid for twice... FULL RETAIL!!"
I know how you feel. I actually considered just buying a new one instead of trying to fix it. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how you want to look at it) I am also spending money on music equipment, and like a barracuda to shiny objects, my attention span shifted rather quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor464 View Post
Nominated for post of the year that's two thumbs up!
Thanks!

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 12-19-2009, 11:07 AM   #9
nccjones

Carrier: TMobile
Default I feel YOUR pain...

Okay, I'm not as great a story teller as you, but suffice it to say, my brand new 9700 which was less than 2 weeks old....well, let's put it this way. I felt like when I was a little girl, my mom would give me something like a ring and ask me if I was responsible enough to hold on to it....lol.

Here is my phone, less than two weeks old. We are having a Christmas party at work and had lots of food left over, so I want to do the right thing and bring the food to a shelter. I google, find one, get directions and go. Not that easy. I must have had my phone on my lap when I stopped to get out and ask for directions. Well, I got back in the car and had to back up. Yep...you guessed...I ran over my blackberry.

All I can say, is thank God for inurance. BTW...I was so scared that I would get a refurbished phone without having made one payment on my original! But yesterday, Santa (UPS) left me a brand new Bold on my patio...yeah! Okay, so the phone cost more than I wanted but accidents do happen. You just hope not to expensive phones...lol
Old 12-19-2009, 09:19 PM   #10
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Ungh... you ran over your own phone? That's definitely going to leave a mark.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 12-19-2009, 10:21 PM   #11
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
Yeah, ok... so it's not as dramatic as I might have made it sound. The phone still works, but ouch, it sure hurt to hear it smack the ground! I'm glad you enjoyed the story, though... that's why I wrote it.

That is the best, and most eloquent way of writing that excruciating moment! Well done, sorry to hear about that though.

Out of curiosity what case where you using/trusting that the 9700 fell out from?
Old 12-20-2009, 01:19 AM   #12
canalwater05
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Ouch, i had a similar issue when i first purchased my curve a year ago, after replacing it with an iphone, and then recently returning to blackberry(2 days ago) via 9700 i made sure that before i even took the phone out of the box, i had one of my coworkers at best buy get me an invisible shield and a platinum case and holster, youre looking at about 60 bucks for both as a regular customer there but i couldnt imagine not having that stuff for it, the shields are awesome as they help keep scratches out but it reduces the chances of cracking the screen a bit, and as for the case and holster, its really tough and it has the smart sleep capability. considering i bought the phone without a contract, it is a small price to pay to keep quite possibly my favorite electronic device from getting screwed up lol just fyi...for all my fellow 9700 lovers
Old 12-20-2009, 06:25 AM   #13
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagga View Post
Out of curiosity what case where you using/trusting that the 9700 fell out from?
It is a Seidio holster. I have never had a failure with Seidio products before, and I think what might have happened was when I placed the box of fruit on my hip, I accidentally hit the holster retention clip. At that point, the phone was just balanced in the holster waiting for the right opportunity to jump.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 12-24-2009, 02:02 PM   #14
lauriem
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

Sorry to hear about your boy. Next time get a girl. They're more flexible and handle life's bumps a little better.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:59 PM   #15
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriem View Post
Next time get a girl. They're more flexible and handle life's bumps a little better.
Yeah, I thought about that, but then I figured I would have to stay up all hours of the night wondering if my girl was out dating that punk of a boyfriend she calls "iPhone." No thanks... I don't need the stress of raising a girl. I'll stick to my boy.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Closed Thread