BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 05:05 PM   #1
glassprisoner79

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Question Anyone else's 9700: GPRS from 3G during talk? (also a random network question)

Please Login to Remove!

i've noticed that at times, during a fone conversation, the network goes from 3G to GPRS. i live in the heart of los angeles, so cell towers shouldnt be an issue!

also, just a question in general about networks. when i turn on the wifi and it goes into UMA mode, does that make for higher quality calling/talking, or does that only have to do with specific wifi calling? if it'st he case of higher quality talking, i will turn that on when i'm home, because to me that's worth the extra drain of battery!

thanks
Old 11-25-2009, 05:16 PM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

I have this on T-mobile UK on a 9000.
It also happens when web browsing.

UMA allows calls over wi-fi, it doesnt improve call quality over the network.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 11-25-2009, 11:31 PM   #3
xraytedjim

Model: Curve

I noticed my calls sometimes go from 3G to GPRS also. I have a good 3G signal, but for some reason, it dropped it to GPRS. The call quality gets pretty bad when that happens as I hear a lot of static and hiss like the old days. Thought it was just a fluke... but who knows. Sounds like something that could be remedied with a software fix.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:51 PM   #4
GarySh

Model: 9700

I also live in Los Angeles (90036) and have observed this problem when on the phone. It will drop to EDGE or GPRS. I spent about an hour on the phone with Tmobile tech support today during which time they had me run through a bunch of 'tests' (including trying a new SIM card, rebooting, checking my settings) but drew a blank.

This is my first 3G phone so I'm not sure if this issue is unique to the 9700 or the cell towers near me, or is widespread. My EDGE-only Pearl 8100 never dropped to GPRS - it was always solidly EDGE.

It would be useful to get more information from other 9700 users by location, to determine whether this is an issue worth worrying about.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:27 AM   #5
glassprisoner79

Model: 8100

hmm weird, i hope it's a glitch that is easily fixed, because going from 3G to GPRS or even to EDGE is just unacceptable. i'm in 90024, where i get 3G absolutely everywhere i step, so it's annoying to see GPRS when i'm talking (i also used to have an 8100 and i only saw GPRS like in the boonies)
Old 03-15-2010, 05:34 PM   #6
pda luvr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: tmo

Same here, phone drops from 3g to gprs all the time. I'm in Miami downtown area. Tmo needs to step up!
NOT thrilled with the 9700. My headphone jack started turning on/off continuously, 3g calls drop intermittently, and the phone reboots on its own. This is the 2nd phone I've had in less than a month
Old 03-31-2010, 11:27 PM   #7
tom1l21

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

This happens to me too. I never had a gsm phone before so when I'd see GSM or GPRS after it was on 3G, I didn't think much of it. I have seen this happen in great 3g coverage zones. This is VERY annoying as it won't even jump back to 3G, let alone EDGE until the call is completed. Has T-Mobile addressed this issue yet?
Old 04-01-2010, 03:30 AM   #8
BallHawk3
CrackBerry Addict

same phone, same carrier, same area, same issues!

Ive called numerous times, they've said its a known issue, told me to swap SIM card (which didn't do jack!). I get more dropped calls than when I was on a non-3G blackberry. Seems like it has trouble with 3G handoff between towers.

Honestly, If I put my phone on 2G (EDGE only) it works muuuuuuuuch better. Single is more consistent and I don't drop calls!
Old 05-24-2010, 03:43 AM   #9
elevated_motion

Carrier: Tmobile

I've had the same problem, some solutions tmobile has given me is either getting a new sim card and switching your network to manual versus automatic. The latter does seem to stop a consistent drop to Edge/GPRS but it still occurs. I think the blame rests on the inconsistency of the towers since tmobile uses radio frequencey for their 3G and are still rolling it out. Granted the 9700 has its hosts of issues, which might get resolved once the new OS 6.0 comes out.

I just put mine on manual and it switched from sitting in Edge mode, after restarting, to staying 3G after adopting the manual setting. Give it a try might release some stress, hopefully
Old 05-26-2010, 06:07 PM   #10
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassprisoner79 View Post
i've noticed that at times, during a fone conversation, the network goes from 3G to GPRS. i live in the heart of los angeles, so cell towers shouldnt be an issue!

also, just a question in general about networks. when i turn on the wifi and it goes into UMA mode, does that make for higher quality calling/talking, or does that only have to do with specific wifi calling? if it'st he case of higher quality talking, i will turn that on when i'm home, because to me that's worth the extra drain of battery!

thanks
I'm not too surprised.

Back in the day (2001) T-Mobile USA purchased towers from AT&T Wireless/Cingular in Los Angeles (which had converage exclusively and T-Mobile clients roamed there). This was back in GSM/GPRS days with EDGE just finished being deployed.

That said is there any SPECIFIC documentation that T-Mobile has stating that area you're experiencing issues in is covered by AWS 3-G?! If not then that is why you're getting shifted down from 3G during calls; OR that the towers closest to you are:

a) GSM/GPRS/EDGE,
b) Congestion and network is switching your coverage preferenced based on available spectrum.
c) something on switch/relay or whatever its called is causing issues.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:34 AM   #11
crackberryadmin
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I think it has a lot to do with the OS on the phone too. I am also in the same area (90034) where I have terrific 3G signal strength, and have experienced the same problem until recently. I've installed just about every beta OS that's come out for the 9700 since I got the phone in November. The new official T-Mobile OS release (.586) improves the issue, but can't say it's gone. I only had the OS installed for a few days, but did notice a call switch from 3G to GPRS after being on the call for a few minutes.

I've been using the latest official OS release from Hutchison (.680) for the last few days and it has been rock solid so far. Made several calls, and haven't seen a single call switch to GPRS. I recommend upgrading. So, it seems to me that the software makes a difference.
Closed Thread