Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 09:45 PM   #1
jwhite4304
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Verizon
Default Treo 650 to Blackberry 7130

Please Login to Remove!

Is anyone else thinking of switching from a Treo to the new Blackberry 7130e. My main reason would be the phone aspect and the ability to tether for a high speed connection to my laptop.

thoughts?

Jimbo

Jimbo
Old 11-30-2005, 11:10 PM   #2
bostonberry

I'm picking one up tomorrow (switch from a Treo 600). I'll provide feedback. For me, the other big advantage is that the phone will receive a call instead of going to voicemail while the phone is connected for data (receiving email, web, etc.).
Old 12-01-2005, 07:35 AM   #3
jnyost
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550

I will also be switching from a Treo to a 7130e. My company is moving everyone to BBs for their home made CRM software. I'll post more later if I can get my hands on one today.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:18 PM   #4
techphreak

Model: 8703e
Default Moving on

I just switched from a Treo 600 to the 7130. I'm very impressed with the unit so far and the EVDO capability, instant email, tethering, etc. are great features. Also it is very light, so wearing it on a belt doesn't feel like you have a brick attached. Two things that require a little getting used to are Suretype and the fact that there is not stylus/touchscreen. With regard to suretype, I have quickly become accustomed to it and prefer it to the regular keyboard (very fast, fewer keys to hunt for, and it learns as you use it). As far as the lack of touchscreen/stylus combo, once you get used to using the wheel and button on the side, everything works very quickly. Overall impression is that this is a device designed for productivity and it accomplishes that very well. So although you don't have a camera or music players for the BB (which you probably want other devices for anyway), it will quickly improve your overall ability to stay on top of things without getting in the way.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:28 PM   #5
bostonberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by techphreak
I just switched from a Treo 600 to the 7130. I'm very impressed with the unit so far and the EVDO capability, instant email, tethering, etc. are great features. Also it is very light, so wearing it on a belt doesn't feel like you have a brick attached. Two things that require a little getting used to are Suretype and the fact that there is not stylus/touchscreen. With regard to suretype, I have quickly become accustomed to it and prefer it to the regular keyboard (very fast, fewer keys to hunt for, and it learns as you use it). As far as the lack of touchscreen/stylus combo, once you get used to using the wheel and button on the side, everything works very quickly. Overall impression is that this is a device designed for productivity and it accomplishes that very well. So although you don't have a camera or music players for the BB (which you probably want other devices for anyway), it will quickly improve your overall ability to stay on top of things without getting in the way.
I just made the same switch, and agree with everything said here. I would add that the screen is beautiful, the device is more attractive than I expected (and smaller/lighter than the Treo). The whole experience is much more solid/polished/seamless. The phone / sound quality also seems to be fine. Make the switch, it's worth it.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:51 AM   #6
ckla2

I've been making the same switch. Had the Treo 650 for a week from Verizon and felt like it was difficult to use touch screen on the fly. Constant dialed by accident. The keys were so small I kept misdialing.

I've never had a Blackberry and thought they were just for people with companies, but now it seems the price is the same and so far so good.

I just haven't figured out how to shift teh phone ring to vibrate? Can that be done?

And a few other things. Truth be told, I've only been using 7130e a day, but I just like it better. The keyboard was pretty easy to adjust to and for me, far better than Treo. I hear for those who like Treo, there is a program called Fat Fingers for people like me.

Only kind of tricky thing is I have a Mac and had to buy PocketMac. Why don't Blackberry people realize that Mac devotees are the same who'd buy these?
Old 12-04-2005, 07:40 AM   #7
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Go to profiles and enable the vibrate profile.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:28 AM   #8
crs127

Model: 8730
Carrier: verizon

you can also hold down the # key and it will change to vibrate.
go to your profile icon and press the # key and see it change( you dont have to go to the profile icon to do this).
Old 12-04-2005, 09:50 AM   #9
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by crs127
you can also hold down the # key and it will change to vibrate.
go to your profile icon and press the # key and see it change( you dont have to go to the profile icon to do this).
Great find. Should we have a sticky for OS 4.1 71xx shortcuts/how to ??
Old 12-04-2005, 10:42 AM   #10
jwhite4304

Can someone post a quote to the program, Fat fingers"

Thanks,
Jimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckla2
I've been making the same switch. Had the Treo 650 for a week from Verizon and felt like it was difficult to use touch screen on the fly. Constant dialed by accident. The keys were so small I kept misdialing.

I've never had a Blackberry and thought they were just for people with companies, but now it seems the price is the same and so far so good.

I just haven't figured out how to shift teh phone ring to vibrate? Can that be done?

And a few other things. Truth be told, I've only been using 7130e a day, but I just like it better. The keyboard was pretty easy to adjust to and for me, far better than Treo. I hear for those who like Treo, there is a program called Fat Fingers for people like me.

Only kind of tricky thing is I have a Mac and had to buy PocketMac. Why don't Blackberry people realize that Mac devotees are the same who'd buy these?

Jimbo
Closed Thread