Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 07:35 PM   #1
diablo666

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone
Default Reply all adds me to the senders list

Please Login to Remove!

I have 5 accounts installed on BIS, but only on one account the following happens.

When I select Reply All in an email it adds my emailaddress as well in the senders list?

Does anyone know why this is and how to disable this?

Hope to hear soon.

Kind regards,

Diablo
Old 02-04-2009, 07:49 PM   #2
kjjb0204
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

That's correct - you're the sender...
Old 02-04-2009, 08:49 PM   #3
titetanium
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: Up
Carrier: t-mobile

I'm confused. Did the OP mean that when he selects reply to all, it adds him to the recipient box?
Old 02-04-2009, 09:20 PM   #4
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

I'm thinking the OP means when he uses reply to all, it includes him in the "to" addresses. This happens in Outlook as well.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:53 AM   #5
diablo666

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
I'm thinking the OP means when he uses reply to all, it includes him in the "to" addresses. This happens in Outlook as well.
This is what I mean and doesn't happen in Outlook. Why would my own name be in the "to" list if I'm the one who's replying. It also only happens with 1 out of 5 accounts installed on BB
Old 02-05-2009, 07:34 AM   #6
VIOLATOR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: BOLD
PIN: Pulled - 1, 2, 3 run!
Carrier: AT&T

I am not sure what version of Outlook you are using but it someone sends you an e-mail and you click on "reply all" your name is added as a recipient.

I always go in and cut my name from the "to" list before sending. Have never found a workaround on this. I have always just assumed it was the same with the BB.

Now you have me curiously following this thread to see if a solution develops.

David

Twitter
Old 02-05-2009, 10:11 AM   #7
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo666 View Post
It also only happens with 1 out of 5 accounts installed on BB
How does this account differ from the others?
Old 02-05-2009, 10:20 AM   #8
diablo666

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
How does this account differ from the others?
That's the strangest thing. Apperantly it doens't. I set it up excalty the same way in BIS and didn't adjust anything on the blackberry itself. But there must be a way to unable this option, if it's a normal option that is.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:02 PM   #9
daphne

I was checking this out more yesterday. What I see is...

If you get an email that's addressed to you and other individuals, and you do reply to all, your email address is included in the "to" addresses.

If you get an email sent to a mailing list, say you are on a list for managers at your company -- [email address], you hit reply to all and your individual name is not included in the "to" addresses.

It works the same for me on Outlook and on my BlackBerry.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:49 PM   #10
StuartV
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIOLATOR View Post
I am not sure what version of Outlook you are using but it someone sends you an e-mail and you click on "reply all" your name is added as a recipient.
That's not normal for any version of Outlook I have used, which includes 2000, 2003, and 2007 (at least).
Verizon 9550
Old 02-05-2009, 07:56 PM   #11
StuartV

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo666 View Post
I have 5 accounts installed on BIS, but only on one account the following happens.

When I select Reply All in an email it adds my emailaddress as well in the senders list?
That used to happen to me when I was just on BIS. When I switched to a BES, it stopped.

My suspicion is that it's an issue of what the BB thinks your email address is versus who the email was addressed to.

In other words, when I was on BIS, I had my personal email address (me@mydomain.com) going to my phone. But my BIS email address is [email address]. I'm guessing that the BB didn't (doesn't) recognize that an email to [email address] is really "me" ('cause it thinks "me" is [email address]). So, on a Reply All, it includes that address (me@mydomain.com) because it doesn't know that's "me".

If you have 4 BIS email accounts that work correctly and 1 that doesn't, I'd say you must have that 1 configured differently somehow (well, duh!). Have you tried logging into the BIS web interface to compare them all? (versus using Email Setup on your BB to check them)

The Verizon BIS web interface is at:

BlackBerry Internet Service
Verizon 9550
Old 02-05-2009, 08:24 PM   #12
daphne

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
That's not normal for any version of Outlook I have used, which includes 2000, 2003, and 2007 (at least).
Why do you say this is not normal? I just checked all the settings and options in Outlook and I don't see any settings that apply to this one way or the other.

My employer's OWA does the same, and so do my web mail accounts for my domains.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:01 PM   #13
StuartV

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
Why do you say this is not normal? I just checked all the settings and options in Outlook and I don't see any settings that apply to this one way or the other.

My employer's OWA does the same, and so do my web mail accounts for my domains.
First, I was talking Outlook, not OWA.

Second, why do I say this is not normal? Because, just as 2 examples:

- I go into Outlook 2003 (my work email) and open any email, choose Reply All, and I am not in the To list.

- I go into Outlook 2007 (my personal email) and open any email, choose Reply All, and I am not in the To list.

And this behavior has been the same for all versions of Outlook I've used (see above) on many different computers.

So, the behavior you described (the sender is in the To list on a Reply All) is not normal - in Outlook - in my experience.
Verizon 9550

Last edited by StuartV; 02-05-2009 at 09:02 PM..
Old 02-05-2009, 09:15 PM   #14
daphne

Yes, I knew you were referring to Outlook. I was using OWA as another example of the same behavior.

My experience has been the opposite of yours on every version of Outlook since 2000, up to 2007 currently, so to me it is normal.

Edit to add.. Stuart, to you see any settings in Outlook to enable or disable this? I cannot find any setting related to "reply to all' anywhere in Outlook.

Last edited by daphne; 02-05-2009 at 09:17 PM.. Reason: add
Old 02-05-2009, 10:19 PM   #15
jjmach

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

I can tell you guys that I have seen this only on following scenario:
Got an e-mail on address A, that is forwarded to e-mail address B, reply to all on address B, and that will include my name too. But other than that, never appears on the "To" box

Regards
Old 02-06-2009, 05:50 AM   #16
titetanium
Thumbs Must Hurt

What jjmach said. I've seen this happen on my blackberry too when my email accounts were configured as pop in BIS.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:38 PM   #17
StuartV

I don't know of a setting for that. It's like I said before, and jjmach and titetanium said, too. I think it's down to having Outlook associate your mailbox with one email address and the email you're Reply All'ing to was addressed to a different email address - which you received because of forwarding from one address to the other or something like that.

If you're connected to an Exchange server, I could imagine that it would happen if your server is handling multiple domains or subdomains. E.g. Maybe your server associates your Inbox with [email address], but the email you receive is addressed to [email address]. Your mail config could route that email to your Inbox, but when you hit Reply All, Outlook would think that you are "daphne@yourdept.yourbiz.com", so it would not include that in the To list, but it *would* include "daphne@yourbiz.com", because that's different and the Outlook client doesn't know that your company's mail config causes that other email address to go into your Inbox.

If that's what's happening for you, your admin could fix that in Exchange, I'm pretty sure by just adding the other email address as an alias on your Inbox properties.
Verizon 9550
Old 02-07-2009, 06:41 AM   #18
daphne

Quote:
Originally Posted by titetanium View Post
What jjmach said. I've seen this happen on my blackberry too when my email accounts were configured as pop in BIS.
Oh, maybe it's different in POP vs. IMAP? This has me curious now.

All my email accounts are POP. I have one email address account on the BB that I set up on BIS for the company I work for. The others are email addresses associated with domains I own and my ISP email address. They are all set up on BIS, and in Outlook on my PC at home. I don't have a PC on the company's network, I just use their webmail/OWA on my PC and I set it up on BIS for my BB.

On all my email accounts, if I get an email addresses to me and other people, and I use Reply to all, I am included in the "To" addresses unless I manually remove it.

Edit, regarding this:
Quote:
I think it's down to having Outlook associate your mailbox with one email address and the email you're Reply All'ing to was addressed to a different email address - which you received because of forwarding from one address to the other or something like that.
That is not the case for me. If I get an email from [email address] that sent to me, [email address], [email address], and [email address], and I use reply to all, john, george, mary and myself are included on the "To" addresses.

Last edited by daphne; 02-07-2009 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: add...
Old 02-07-2009, 07:41 AM   #19
titetanium
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

That's strange. I'll have to investiagte this further. This has my curiousity piqued now. Right now, I'm not seeing the same issue you're seeing and since I use thunderbird, when clicking on reply to all, I don't get added to the recipient box. And the accounts are configured as POP in thunderbird, though they are configured as IMAP on the BB.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:56 AM   #20
daphne

Ok, I just realized I am wrong about part of this.
My example here is not true in all cases.

Quote:
If I get an email from that sent to me, , , and , and I use reply to all, john, george, mary and myself are included on the "To" addresses.
I have to do some more checking, but I think what Stuart said here does apply, at least on my PC.

Quote:
I think it's down to having Outlook associate your mailbox with one email address and the email you're Reply All'ing to was addressed to a different email address - which you received because of forwarding from one address to the other or something like that.
I will investigate further on my BlackBerry.
Closed Thread