Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 02:17 PM   #101
qnelson

Model: Tour
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknobbe View Post
Hmm, now I'm seeing a Null Pointer exception. Must have broken something when I updated the options screen code. I'll try to fix it tonight.

Note that this only affects changes to the options screen, other functionality should work ok. If you are incredibly inconvenienced, you can install the non-beta version to get the options set up correctly, then install the new version to get the Tasks support and leave the options screen alone until the bug is fixed.

sorry.
Not a problem reinstalling non beta than reinstalling beta. Thanks
Old 01-19-2009, 03:26 PM   #102
qnelson

Model: Tour

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnelson
Quote:
Hmm, now I'm seeing a Null Pointer exception. Must have broken something when I updated the options screen code. I'll try to fix it tonight.

Note that this only affects changes to the options screen, other functionality should work ok. If you are incredibly inconvenienced, you can install the non-beta version to get the options set up correctly, then install the new version to get the Tasks support and leave the options screen alone until the bug is fixed.

sorry.
Not a problem reinstalling non beta than reinstalling beta. Thanks
Reinstalling worked. My settings from old version were saved with upgrade.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:36 AM   #103
rknobbe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default New Beta

I just posted a new beta (3.5.4) which fixes the problem with saving options.

Note that it's still not possible to set a relative reminder (like "5 minutes before") for task, and the Due Date for tasks is always based on the Default Duration. Therefore, if your Default Duration is 60 minutes, the Due Date for the task will be the beginning of the next hour. The reminder will be a number of minutes before that. I realize this isn't very useful or flexible. I'm having a hard time finding ANY information on how to programatically set a reminder relative to a due date. Any blackberry programmers out there, feel free to chip in some code or pointers.

Calendar entries are still rock solid, and if that's all you want, this is the release for you.

I'm considering what other features would make sense and would be easy. One thing I'm thinking about is passing in a list of Attendees (Invites) based on the From and CC lists in the email. Would this be interesting or useful? I would probably add yet another menu item for this (like "Onto Meeting" or something), because you're probably less likely to create a meeting than just an appointment.

I'm also considering a completely unrelated app to add menu items to the web browser to connect with del.icio.us (a la https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3615). Would anybody be interested in something like this?
Old 01-20-2009, 08:05 AM   #104
kmoney25
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

I think an app like "OntoMeeting" would be very helpful. I am constantly having to invite attendees to things.

However, I am very hopeful that you will be able to fix the default task reminder.

Thanks again for putting so much time in to this.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:38 PM   #105
PDM
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-Mobile

When you save "Onto Task..." is the e-mail subject copied across as the task heading?
Old 01-22-2009, 11:37 PM   #106
rknobbe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDM
When you save "Onto Task..." is the e-mail subject copied across as the task heading?
yes, and the message body is copied as the task note.

Last edited by rknobbe; 01-22-2009 at 11:38 PM..
Old 01-23-2009, 07:10 AM   #107
VIOLATOR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: BOLD
PIN: Pulled - 1, 2, 3 run!

Man - I just love this app!!

I am still using an earlier version and it works just great. Click, scroll, click and boom - everything is on the calender.

A huge thanks to RKNOBBE for this little gem

David

Twitter
Old 01-25-2009, 04:21 PM   #108
PDM

Quote:
Wirelessly posted

Ah, I see it only copies the title across IF "Copy Message > Yes".

Would appreciate it if "Onto Task..." could copy the message title across if "Copy Message > No" (as per "Onto Calender..."'s behaviour).
Old 01-25-2009, 05:58 PM   #109
rknobbe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDM
Quote:
Wirelessly posted

Ah, I see it only copies the title across IF "Copy Message > Yes".

Would appreciate it if "Onto Task..." could copy the message title across if "Copy Message > No" (as per "Onto Calender..."'s behaviour).
That's a bug. I'll fix tonight and post a new beta. Sorry.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:53 PM   #110
rknobbe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Wirelessly posted

That's a bug. I'll fix tonight and post a new beta. Sorry.
3.5.5 posted in the beta directory, this problem is fixed. Still no fix for the "reminder" vs "due date" issue with tasks. Perhaps we should talk about the concept of operations for tasks since I think the native tasks app on blackberry is calculating the "relative" reminder internally (not based on any programmed task API). Maybe if I set up a better default for "Due Date" the reminder wouldn't be as important? I'll rough out a proof of concept and ask specific users for input based on previous comments.

Also, you'll notice I have made a simple web site for OntoCalendar, here.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:21 PM   #111
PDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknobbe
3.5.5 posted in the beta directory, this problem is fixed. [...]
Thanks - working as designed!
Old 01-27-2009, 04:43 PM   #112
kmoney25
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks rknobbe! As far a the Tasks go...the relative reminder is helpful because once you set a "Due Date", the relative reminder will let you know before the task is due, in a timed fasion. I'm not sure if a better default for "Due Date" would work. I think RIM automatically sets the default "Due Date" to the next day at a specific time, then you set the relative reminder. Anything you can do to improve this already awesome program is really appreciated.

Thanks for all your hard work. RIM should e paying you for fixing thei mistake in not including this in their OS!
Old 02-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #113
rknobbe
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have a new Beta posted, 3.5.9. I'm still struggling with reminders for ToDo items, but I did add a discrete Due Date option so that you can decouple your due dates from your calendar entries. Reminders absolute dates currently, not relative like in the native app; and I don't think there is a way to initialize those from the InvokeApplication API. I'm going to have to declare defeat on that feature, sorry.

However, I did start adding support for meeting invitations within the "Onto Calendar..." code. Currently there is a "Invite Sender" option, which automatically adds the sender of an email to the new calendar entry. When you save the calendar entry it will send a meeting invite to that person. This may eventually end up in a new menu item by itself. I'm curious if people think this feature is useful.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:51 PM   #114
comptechltd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330

Just installed the 3.5.9 version. Now I get a "java.lang.NullPointerException:null" error. Onto Calendar sems to work fine. This error is just on "Onto Tasks".

I have an 8330 with the .077 ver. of 4.5

Steve

PS: Thanks for all your hard work on this project.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:03 PM   #115
rknobbe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by comptechltd View Post
Just installed the 3.5.9 version. Now I get a "java.lang.NullPointerException:null" error. Onto Calendar sems to work fine. This error is just on "Onto Tasks".

I have an 8330 with the .077 ver. of 4.5

Steve

PS: Thanks for all your hard work on this project.
Is this error associated with an email message or a text message? Is there a subject? What settings do you have for Task Due in (Days) and Task Reminder?
Old 02-03-2009, 12:05 AM   #116
comptechltd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ok,

I forgot to set the time in the setup area. Now onto tasks works properly EXCEPT I have tasks due in days set to 1 day, I have task reminder set to 15 minutes. Now when I hit onto tasks with an e-mail, my due date is 1 day and 6 hours in the future. The reminder is set for "by date" not "relative" for Jan 1, 1970 at 00:15 hours. (PS my time zone is set correct on the blackberry. It looks like it is setting to GMT and not taking the timezone into account)

If you need any other info just ask.

Steve
Old 02-03-2009, 12:12 AM   #117
abu4321

Love the app and really appreciate all your hard work on it.
If its not too much to ask, was wondering if were possible to create a default option in OnToCalendar to check the "Mark as Private" box, when saving Calendar items?
Just something I use a more than not.
Thanks again for everything.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:21 AM   #118
rknobbe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Ok,

I forgot to set the time in the setup area. Now onto tasks works properly EXCEPT I have tasks due in days set to 1 day, I have task reminder set to 15 minutes. Now when I hit onto tasks with an e-mail, my due date is 1 day and 6 hours in the future. The reminder is set for "by date" not "relative" for Jan 1, 1970 at 00:15 hours. (PS my time zone is set correct on the blackberry. It looks like it is setting to GMT and not taking the timezone into account)

If you need any other info just ask.

Steve
Task reminders are not really useful right now; at least trying to set them via the defaults screen. I may just take that code out since I don't think it is possible.

I'll look into the timezone issue since I've seen that other app developers are having this problem as well.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:26 AM   #119
comptechltd
Thumbs Must Hurt

You know if nothing else if the task reminder could just be set to the task time. I personally think the reminders are very important. I guess they could always just be se manually though.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:44 AM   #120
rknobbe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
You know if nothing else if the task reminder could just be set to the task time. I personally think the reminders are very important. I guess they could always just be se manually though.
The trouble with setting the task reminder from OntoTask is that the reminder isn't connected to the due date. If you choose to change the duedate in the tasks program you'll also have to change the reminder date.
Closed Thread