BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
Tritan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: ?
Carrier: Nextel
Default Anybody using Blip GPS software?

Please Login to Remove!

Welcome to BlackLine GPS Inc.

Anybody using this software its looks pretty neat.

Off the website:

Blip is a geo-social networking tool for GPS-enabled BlackBerry® smartphones.

It allows the people you know to track you via GPS and your BlackBerry's wireless data connection. It's easy to Share Your Where with others and for them to reciprocate if they also have a GPS-enabled BlackBerry device.

Blip also integrates with BlackLine's GPS Snitch®, taking our Web experience on the road with you. All on your BlackBerry smartphone. Learn more here.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
Tritan
CrackBerry Addict

No takers, anybody testing this . I am wondering if you can track from a home PC? I guess I will email them and see how it works.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:22 AM   #3
Berto
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

I'm considering trying this on my bike race this weekend. I want my friends and family to track me as I ride through Texas.

I don't like them having to login to gps-snitch.com to do this though.... so I might try another route. I want a google maps widget on my blog instead!

The service seems nice though.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:38 AM   #4
Tritan
CrackBerry Addict

Let me know how this works, because I was considering the same thing using it for running so my wife could find me in an emergency and pick me up without the phone call.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:57 PM   #5
kellydcarter
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

I've been playing with Blip and wrote up a review of my findings at App Review: Blip™ (Share Your Where™) « My BlackBerry Pearl 8130. Below is a copy-and-paste of some excerpts from the article (to keep the moderators happy; in this case it's not too practical to try to duplicate the article here--mostly because it's so dependent on all the screenshots I use):

Your BlackBerry Pearl has GPS (built-in or external Bluetooth), so you know where you are. But what if you want others to know where you are? Here is just the application you need: Blip by BlackLine GPS. In this article, Ixxx8217;ll review how to install Blip on your BlackBerry, create a Blip account on the web, and share on the web with others where you are: all for free!
:
:
Why share your location with others?
Youxxx8217;re traveling and your loved ones want to know youxxx8217;re OK.
Youxxx8217;re doing a bike race, geocaching, or other travel-oriented contest and you want your supporters to know where you are.
Youxxx8217;ve dispatched an employee to a customer destination and you need to know he/she is on schedule to complete the assignment.
Youxxx8217;re taking some kids on a field trip and you want parents to know where the group is.

Before you start
You need to have GPS capability whether itxxx8217;s built-in or external. This article is intended primarily for Pearl 8130 owners although it may apply to many other models. Verizon Wireless customers should know that the built-in GPS capability of the 8130 is intentionally disabled unless you pay $10/month for the VZNavigator service. Since my provider is VZW, I purchased an external Bluetooth GPS receiver (see my review).
You need to download and install Blip on your phone. Make sure you check the Blip web site to verify that your model is supported (8130 owners need not checkxxx8211;itxxx8217;s definitely supported).
You need to have an Blip account on the web. Itxxx8217;s totally free, and gets created when you do the Blip setup on your phone. (Be aware that, depending on your wireless providerxxx8217;s plan and your level of usage, you may incur data charges. When I say xxx8220;freexxx8221; here, I mean that BlackLine GPS doesnxxx8217;t charge you anything. My Verizon xxx8220;Email and Webxxx8221; plan, which is not an unlimited data plan, gives me more than enough freedom to use a product like this without incurring charges. You may need to inquire about your plan.)
You need to configure your phonexxx8217;s Blip application and possibly your Blip web account.
:
:
My experience with Blip so far is very shallow, and I have occasional problems with my Bluetooth GPS sometimes losing its Bluetooth connection to my phone. So, I still have a lot of work to do to determine how reliable and useful this Blip service is. But so far I am very impressed with its potential. I hope some of you readers will take the plunge into Blip and return to share what you learn. As usual, if I learn something significant on my own or from readers, Ixxx8217;ll update this article to keep it as fresh as possible.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:50 PM   #6
Tritan
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellydcarter View Post
I've been playing with Blip and wrote up a review of my findings at App Review: Blip™ (Share Your Where™) « My BlackBerry Pearl 8130. Below is a copy-and-paste of some excerpts from the article (to keep the moderators happy; in this case it's not too practical to try to duplicate the article here--mostly because it's so dependent on all the screenshots I use):

Your BlackBerry Pearl has GPS (built-in or external Bluetooth), so you know where you are. But what if you want others to know where you are? Here is just the application you need: Blip by BlackLine GPS. In this article, I’ll review how to install Blip on your BlackBerry, create a Blip account on the web, and share on the web with others where you are: all for free!
:
:
Why share your location with others?
You’re traveling and your loved ones want to know you’re OK.
You’re doing a bike race, geocaching, or other travel-oriented contest and you want your supporters to know where you are.
You’ve dispatched an employee to a customer destination and you need to know he/she is on schedule to complete the assignment.
You’re taking some kids on a field trip and you want parents to know where the group is.

Before you start
You need to have GPS capability whether it’s built-in or external. This article is intended primarily for Pearl 8130 owners although it may apply to many other models. Verizon Wireless customers should know that the built-in GPS capability of the 8130 is intentionally disabled unless you pay $10/month for the VZNavigator service. Since my provider is VZW, I purchased an external Bluetooth GPS receiver (see my review).
You need to download and install Blip on your phone. Make sure you check the Blip web site to verify that your model is supported (8130 owners need not check–it’s definitely supported).
You need to have an Blip account on the web. It’s totally free, and gets created when you do the Blip setup on your phone. (Be aware that, depending on your wireless provider’s plan and your level of usage, you may incur data charges. When I say “free” here, I mean that BlackLine GPS doesn’t charge you anything. My Verizon “Email and Web” plan, which is not an unlimited data plan, gives me more than enough freedom to use a product like this without incurring charges. You may need to inquire about your plan.)
You need to configure your phone’s Blip application and possibly your Blip web account.
:
:
My experience with Blip so far is very shallow, and I have occasional problems with my Bluetooth GPS sometimes losing its Bluetooth connection to my phone. So, I still have a lot of work to do to determine how reliable and useful this Blip service is. But so far I am very impressed with its potential. I hope some of you readers will take the plunge into Blip and return to share what you learn. As usual, if I learn something significant on my own or from readers, I’ll update this article to keep it as fresh as possible.
thanks for the great review.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:38 AM   #7
funkym
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
Carrier: HK CSL

looks interesting, i should really check it out
Old 01-02-2009, 01:24 AM   #8
JbOi112

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mo
Default Blip & Blackberry Maps

I realize this is an old thread, but does anyone know if Blackberry Maps being installed is required for Blip to function (allow locations to be published)?

I'm trying to configure a Curve 8310 (which I'm pretty sure is GPS-enabled/built-in) to run Blip, but I'm having trouble getting it to work properly. I've installed it properly, got Tracking to reflect being "Online", but no visible published locations. Also, I've got OS 4.2.2... installed. Any suggestions or config instructions I've missed?

Thanks.
Closed Thread