BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 10:28 PM   #1
PHLAK
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default To which memory do my installed apps go?

Please Login to Remove!

When I download an application, which memory does it go to by default? Application, Device, or Media Card? I'm assuming the Application memory is the equivalent of the devices RAM, and the Device memory is where the apps are stored, can someone confirm this? Also, is there a way to change where it goes by default? Probably wont change this, but I'm curious.

My BlackBerry Storm Wallpapers
Old 12-27-2008, 10:43 PM   #2
bskarpa
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I talked to VZ yesterday, and asked the question if I could save apps and downloads to my media card, Just bought 16gb, and they told me that some apps will allow you to save them to the media card. On the other hand, most of all apps will be auto saved under the app storage and cannot be changed that I know of. This bites which allows you to only download so much. I'm running 20mb free right now and 879mb on device mem, 7gb on mem card (have alot of music). Hope this helps
Old 12-27-2008, 11:00 PM   #3
PHLAK
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bskarpa View Post
I talked to VZ yesterday, and asked the question if I could save apps and downloads to my media card, Just bought 16gb, and they told me that some apps will allow you to save them to the media card. On the other hand, most of all apps will be auto saved under the app storage and cannot be changed that I know of. This bites which allows you to only download so much. I'm running 20mb free right now and 879mb on device mem, 7gb on mem card (have alot of music). Hope this helps
I don't think that's right, because when I got my Storm, the Device memory had almost max free. I've since downloaded several apps and it's now down ~6MB, and I've made sure all music/movies/photos of mine go to me memory card. After thinking about it more critically, I'm fairly certain the Application Memory is like your phones RAM and the Device memory is where the apps are stored.

My BlackBerry Storm Wallpapers
Old 12-27-2008, 11:38 PM   #4
bskarpa
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLAK View Post
I don't think that's right, because when I got my Storm, the Device memory had almost max free. I've since downloaded several apps and it's now down ~6MB, and I've made sure all music/movies/photos of mine go to me memory card. After thinking about it more critically, I'm fairly certain the Application Memory is like your phones RAM and the Device memory is where the apps are stored.
That's pretty much what I said, SOME APPS will let you store them to the media card is what the vz rep said, most of all apps will store in the app mem. I did like you have a bunch of free app mem, now i'm running low as well. Sorry If I was not clearer. And you are correct about the RAM, that's why I wish we could store everthing to the media card. I hear it will support 32gb.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:54 AM   #5
zkyevolved
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 25707D3B
Carrier: Vodafone

restarting the phone will free up some memory. Run the optimization to remove unneeded things. That could help
Old 12-28-2008, 08:03 PM   #6
thetruth
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkyevolved View Post
restarting the phone will free up some memory. Run the optimization to remove unneeded things. That could help
Can you explain what you mean by run the optimization?
Old 12-29-2008, 12:49 AM   #7
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

PIN: ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by bskarpa View Post
That's pretty much what I said, SOME APPS will let you store them to the media card is what the vz rep said, most of all apps will store in the app mem. I did like you have a bunch of free app mem, now i'm running low as well. Sorry If I was not clearer. And you are correct about the RAM, that's why I wish we could store everthing to the media card. I hear it will support 32gb.
No apps will let you store them on the media card. The OS stores programs on the 128 Megs that are set aside for this purpose.

Memory
Expandable memory – support for microSD™ card
1GB onboard memory
128 MB Flash (flash memory) <--- This is where applications go!
Old 12-29-2008, 09:14 AM   #8
jerseydude
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: VZW

Hmm, i am confused, if all apps install and run from the 128 flash mem. wont that limit the amount of apps you can store on the system and also slow the system down? Does anyone know how the iphone handles memory apps
Old 12-29-2008, 09:22 AM   #9
purevil

Model: Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkyevolved View Post
Also curious on how to do this? Sorry, I am just new to BB, came from Palm world.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:29 AM   #10
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

Here is a link that should help with optimizing your onboard memory:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ee-memory.html

Media cards are just that- a storage area for media (pics, videos, music). Apps cannot be stored on media cards. And you will impact your Berry's performance eventually if you have too many apps on board.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:37 PM   #11
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

PIN: ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydude View Post
Hmm, i am confused, if all apps install and run from the 128 flash mem. wont that limit the amount of apps you can store on the system and also slow the system down? Does anyone know how the iphone handles memory apps
The answer is Yes.
Closed Thread