- faster OS for power users like me
Old 12-22-2008, 07:51 AM   #22
mikestorm

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

This mental list is getting shorter and shorter

Some off the top of my head that I would like to see included:

-landscape wallpaper, although I can understand why we don't have it. I'm sure it's enough for the phone to realign via the accelerometer without having to change/render background art on the fly.

-tab keys on keyboard. It would be much easier to simply cycle through available fields on web pages for text input than the zoom in/zoom in/zoom in/precision tap hit-or-miss click process we're using now.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:24 AM   #23
njhusker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddyp View Post
Wirelessly posted (blackberry storm)

I'd like two things
Ability to lock the screen
there is a screen lock button on the top...

Or did you mean while on the phone?
Old 12-22-2008, 10:48 AM   #24
addiecool
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: Nah!! Forget it
Carrier: Vodafone

Wirelessly posted

Besides anything else I want no NEED the phone app fixed. Theauto rotation to landscape just sucks bigtime. I almost hate th phone sometimes for that.
Also there should be an option to disable rotation in home screen. This is also very annoying.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:14 PM   #25
diko

Model: 8100
Carrier: Turkcell

I have been using a Storm 9500 since a week now and although title says to name the "one thing" , I guess I could write multiple dislikes/suggestions as others have already done!

- I also miss an option that could leave screen rotation to user's control rather than the accelerometer. Maybe with a software update this would be possible, disabling the accelerometer, some softkeys or the volume buttons could be used for example to rotate the screen whenever needed.

- I still am not comfortable placing the cursor or choosing text from emails between two different points for copy/paste purposes. Text is usually too small for my fingers to land on the exact intra-character or intra-word points. I am afraid the sure solution to this would only come with the next version of the Storm where I would expect that a pearl trackball will be placed.

- I miss the functionality of my old pearl where you could directly type on home screen and find a number from the address book. On the Storm you need to hit contacts, ask for the keyboard, type, possibly close the keyboard to view at once all filtered names, highlight the contact and then hit the green button - lots more steps!

- the fact that when you hit the green dial button, the dialer is always in vertical mode even if the screen is in landscape mode at that moment.

- In vertical mode there is no possibility to use the suretype style keyboard without actually using the suretype intelligence. I am used to the suretype layout and find it faster compared to the standard multiap layout. However when I write emails, I need to write in 3 languages and if I am not writing in English and therefore cannot use Suretype, I am stuck with the multitap layout.

- A good way of taking advantage of the touch screen could be to add a new form of typing where perhaps a semitransparent layer covers the whole screen on which the user "draws" the letter shapes by his finger and the software translates the letters into text. A somewhat advanced version of the stylus-based handwriting recognition on old Windows mobile devices, using a fingers and the whole screen..
Old 12-23-2008, 04:17 PM   #26
spierian
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-mobile UK
Default What don't I like about the Storm?

1. RUBBISH battery life - 2 days at most without doing anything (got 14 days with my 8800)

2, Absence of Wi-Fi
Old 12-23-2008, 04:27 PM   #27
bryanparke
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330

If I had to limit to one desire: dial by name would not require the extra step of clicking in the find text input and/or auto show the keyboard when you press+hold the send button. It was so easy on the curve, press the send button and start typing a name. now, press send, click contacts (or press+hold send), click find, wait for keyboard, start typing.

Not that big of a deal since i can typically go to my call log and 9 times out of 10 the person i'm callin is already in that list.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:00 PM   #28
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Reading through these 3 things come up a lot:
!. Switching from portrait to landscape (and back) drives a lot of people crazy, esp. in the phone mode. Call it "accelerometer frustration".
2. Selecting things using your finger (or cursor) especially text, drive people nuts. The trackball is way better. Call it "finger frustration".
3. Using the 2 keyboards can be confusing, esp numbers vs letters vs symbols. This is very easy on the other BBs, not so straighforward on the Storm depending on what you're doing. Call it "keyboard learning curve frustration".
What I didn't notice (much) are complaints about the camera (1), typing txt on the keyboard and lagginess of the OS. Maybe that improved with .75. On the iphone typing txt drove people nuts when it came out. Maybe the click screen is a success? Keep 'er rollin'.........

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 12-23-2008 at 05:03 PM..
Old 12-23-2008, 05:24 PM   #29
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudres View Post
The two things I would like to see are:

Last Number Redial
If you hit the green button to bring up the phone app and then hit the green button again, it brings up the newest number on the call log. I haven't tested it enough to see whether it's specifically only the last number dialed or if it also includes incoming calls.

For me.... they fit a period key on the landscape keyboard. Why is the comma not there? I also sorely miss standby mode.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:43 PM   #30
rsarno

Model: 9500
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdg View Post
-'Force to portrait' when a call rings in.

if more than one response is allowed, then...

-Faster [read: near instantaneous] response to the lock/unlock button.

-A return to the 'stop ringer' button toggling between vibrate only and normal ring, when the screen is locked [this went away with .83].

-Flash support for the browser.

FWIW, I've had the Storm from day one and have used .65, .75, .76 and now .83.
funny, i was going to write pretty much the exact same thing, actually i did write it just before in crackberry, and then i saw your post here lol
Old 12-23-2008, 07:00 PM   #31
Vertioch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachamphetamine View Post
If you hit the green button to bring up the phone app and then hit the green button again, it brings up the newest number on the call log. I haven't tested it enough to see whether it's specifically only the last number dialed or if it also includes incoming calls.
It brings up last dialed number (I tested it).

One thing I'd like... (or rather one thing I don't like - not really the same question)

Mostly what's on here... screen alignment is just wrong... I set the phone flat it goes to landscape... even if I prop it up.

One thing I'd like... more soft buttons - or better yet, programmable ones. I miss speed dials (you get 9 in the phone keyboard)...

One thing which I've always thought is dumb... You can't easily create your own shortcuts on the home screen (links to specific websites for example, or to a document). I actually successfully tested on my 8703e setting a speed-dial to a website which was cool... but, alas, no speed dial now... :(

Last edited by Vertioch; 12-23-2008 at 07:05 PM..
Old 12-23-2008, 09:26 PM   #32
hudres
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: n/a
Carrier: verizon
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachamphetamine View Post

For me.... they fit a period key on the landscape keyboard. Why is the comma not there? I also sorely miss standby mode.
Thanks for the tip. I tried it and it works. I will continue to test it tomorrow and see if it is reliable. I suspect that it is as I have inadvertently bumped into this once or twice and didn't understand what it meant. 73
Old 12-24-2008, 01:28 PM   #33
Tri-Tip
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650

On my 8830, when I filed an E-Mail mesasge, it would bring me to the last folder where I filed a message from that sender. The Storm doesn't seem to do that.