Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 09:23 PM   #21
PHLAK
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

This is not illegal in any way. The store has a right to sell the phones (or not sell the phones) to whomever they choose. However, I agree it's very poor business. My local Verizon store is fairly friendly and honest (I think), but I'd still prefer NOT to do business with them.

My BlackBerry Storm Wallpapers
Old 12-21-2008, 09:33 PM   #22
joeygator
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
At the risk of sounding like I am ridiculing... can you point to a sales based operation where shady dealings don't take place? If you are being truly honest, isn't the margin of "shady" the very nature of sales? I would have to call my lawyer friends about my mechanic, my car dealer, my doctor, my insurance agent, the natural gas company... (I could go on and on).

If you ask me, invoking the "legal action" card is equally off-putting.
While I agree this is a deceptive practice, as a sales professional, not in wireless, I do believe that sales can and do take place without being "shady!" Just my opinion, and experience!
Old 12-22-2008, 08:50 AM   #23
mikestorm

At the risk of sounding like a devils advocate, while I don't condone the VZ rep lying, I think the order of operations is proper.

It should go:

replacement phones > new service phones > upgrades

People who order replacements if their phone is broken should get the highest priority, considering out of the three groups, they're the only ones that risk having NO SERVICE due to broken equipment. It stands to reason they should get highest priority.

Customer onboarding, from a business model perspective, should take next priority. Verizon wants these customers to have the most positive experience they can muster, since it means a brand new income stream. Many people are hesitant about switching, and "um, sorry you'll have to wait two weeks" doesn't paint a particularly flattering picture. Remember, these people are willing to SWITCH CARRIERS to get this phone. That's a big deal, and the gravity of such an act is clearly not lost on VZW.

Next comes us..existing VZW customers who want to upgrade.

I'm sure this practice is in place 100% of the time, however we're not aware of it since supplies are, under normal working conditions, ample, so the practice is completely transparent 95% of the time. In the unique case of the Storm launch, there are a significant amount of phone shortages, so the practice is no longer transparent.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:05 AM   #24
njhusker

Sadly the folks in the retail stores have to make a living and are paid largely on commission. Anyone who has ever relied on commission for the majority of their income will understand. They are going to do whatever puts the most coin in their pockets every time, period. Suffice to say they get more when they sign a new customer than when they upgrade an existing customer. I know it sux and have been a victim of salesperson falsities at many businesses including the Verizon stores. When is the last time you had a completely honest exchange with a car salesperson? Face it people, we all gotta eat including the not so truthful sales professional. To avoid all that nonsense I do most of my business on-line and that is where I got my storm. GREAT deal with new every two and the mail in rebate I will be paying a total of $99 and did not have to hear them tell me my calling plan is no longer available or whatever.....

Btw I agree with the post about getting a lawyer involved. All that is going to happen is the lawyers will make money and you will gain nothing but an unpleasant experience...

just my opinions.... don't take them too seriously :p

Last edited by njhusker; 12-22-2008 at 09:13 AM..
Closed Thread