Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 04:10 PM   #1
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile
Default How's the browser shaping up?

Please Login to Remove!

I know a lot of people had trouble with it right away, selecting thing in particular. But after a week or 2 how do you find browsing on the Storm compared to your prior phone(s)? I still want to like it, but more information from real people helps a lot. Thanks in advance
Old 12-04-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
MiamiBerry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt View Post
I know a lot of people had trouble with it right away, selecting thing in particular. But after a week or 2 how do you find browsing on the Storm compared to your prior phone(s)? I still want to like it, but more information from real people helps a lot. Thanks in advance
I liked the browsing experience so much that I ordered a new one which should ship soon (I hope).
I returned the original as I could not stand the keyboard and lag...but now I miss it so I am getting one again, and this time hopefully with the new FW on it.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:20 PM   #3
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 9530)

Sometimes it frustrates me but overall I really like it. To me its leaps and bounds over my curves browser.

Last edited by rachamphetamine; 12-04-2008 at 04:21 PM..
Old 12-04-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
trella1
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A

I'm not sure if anybody else is experiencing this, but with nothing else running in the background, my Blackberry Browser is WAAY slow to open up and move from page to page. Even with a good/great signal. Opera Mini is a million times better. I just wish you could make it the default browser. I guess you can't do that though, or at least that is what I have read around here.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:41 PM   #5
modulo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

options > advanced options > browser > default browser configuration

think you can change it there, but haven't tried.

when opera gets tweake to work better with the storm ill switch to it, but the bb browser is pretty good, not too far behind safari.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:00 PM   #6
TheBigNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachamphetamine View Post
Wirelessly posted (Verizon 9530)

Sometimes it frustrates me but overall I really like it. To me its leaps and bounds over my curves browser.
Why better than the Curve specifically?
Old 12-04-2008, 06:31 PM   #7
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Well, I like the way that it renders the pages. I wouldn't say that it's as good as the iPhone's Safari, but it is nicer to see more than pared down HTML when I load websites. My worry was that it would cause pages to load more slowly, but so far this has not been an issue (I was still thinking in terms of T-Mobile's EDGE speeds at the time).

Also, the Curve and the 8800 are the only phones that I have to compare the browser to - if you don't count the Sidekicks that I've owned in the past. I did miss viewing the whole version of a page, and as I mentioned it does sometimes frustrate me only due to a lack of concrete controls that you get with the keys and a trackball on a standard BB.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:44 PM   #8
TheBigNewt

So the advantage is that (like the iPhone, which is great) because of the bigger screen and finger controls for magnifying and scrolling up and down, side to side, you can more easily view regular web site pages than the Curve? My other question is how easy is it to select a link or to login to a site with the Storm. I had trouble with that trying it but I understand there are more ways to do it easily.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:20 PM   #9
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Yes, I personally feel that it's easier for me to view webpages in the Storm's browser format.

It's taken me a bit of practice to be good at selecting the links that I want. I wear fake nails that aren't outrageously long but they do impact the angle at which I can touch/press on the screen. However, I've discovered that if in doubt about my ability to select a link, it's best for me to either a) use the cursor mode, which I haven't used too often or b) zoom in until I can see that my finger is actually selecting the right link, and then click away. At first it was a little tricky but I've gotten faster at it as I've used the phone more.

My only real annoyance is when I'm trying to quickly select a link and instead of hitting it when I click, I've zoomed in one more time. However, I'm still playing around with the settings for the screen so I believe this is something that could be easily fixed and is pure operator error on my part.
Closed Thread