Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 08:01 PM   #1
joec
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: att
Default How is the STORM as a "Phone"

Please Login to Remove!

There has been a lot of reviews and comments on many of the functions of the storm except for the "phone" functions. Can any of the current STORM users please let me know :

Is it easy to place or answer a call while mobile ?

Is the speaker phone audio loud and clear comapred to the bold ???

How about operating it one handed to make calls ??

What is the process to activate a speed dial ?? How many clicks or steps ???

I would try out these functions on my own, except that all the storms in my area are sold out right now.

I would greatly appreciate your inputs...
Old 12-01-2008, 08:09 PM   #2
HKP7M13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: VZW

It's a phone too?
Old 12-01-2008, 08:22 PM   #3
franknbeans
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vrz

Is it easy to place or answer a call while mobile? Placeing a call is simple. . .Answering is a little of a pain right now. . I just updated to the new software and haven't answered a call yet. . .I'll have to get back to you on that.

Is the speaker phone audio loud and clear comapred to the bold ???I can't compair it to the bold because I don't have one. The speaker phone seems to work just fine for me though.

How about operating it one handed to make calls ?? Works just fine for me.

What is the process to activate a speed dial ?? How many clicks or steps ???set the number for speed dial and just hold it in when you are wanting to use it. I don't care much for this as I don't memorise who is on what speed dial number. My last phone I would hit the number 5 see who it was, if it wasn't the person I wanted to call, I would erase and hit another number.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:44 PM   #4
flenn

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

I had an hour long conference call today and the speakerphone and mute functions worked great. Audio was loud and clear and I was able to mute on/off very easily with the touchscreen.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:25 PM   #5
paulpo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: verizon

The call quality buries my 8703. Really, really good quality on the Storm for me.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:44 PM   #6
mouseware

i don't think the volume is as loud as the 8830, but the speaker phone is most defiantly louder.

it has the call log, but you can't get to it anymore right away. i miss having my call log on the home screen (i know you can just hit the green button and get there, but my finger's already on the screen), now you have to hit the green call button then click on the call log icon. one extra step that's a pain. (just noticed this has been fixed in v.75)

when your in a call and need to use the keypad (to enter your vm password or something) you have to click on the keypad icon and that sometimes take a second or two. or in my case just long enough for my office vm to tell me that i'm being disconnected for lack of input.

my reception is downgraded as well. it seems that with any new blackberry you loose some signal strength. all of my 8703s have 4 bars, the 8830s and the 8330s have 3, and now my 9530s have 2 bars. even with the repeaters in our buildings the signal strength on the new BB's is always seeming to go down. we've been working with Verizon on this for almost a year now...

quality tho is right on the money. even with the v.75 update, the battery life is still an issue. especially for sales guys who use their phone for hours a day. expect to live a portion of your time hooked up to a charger or have fully charged spare batteries around!
Old 12-02-2008, 08:45 PM   #7
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

I had no clue it made calls. I am going to have to try that.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:58 PM   #8
deathbyart
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouseware View Post
it has the call log, but you can't get to it anymore right away. i miss having my call log on the home screen (i know you can just hit the green button and get there, but my finger's already on the screen), now you have to hit the green call button then click on the call log icon. one extra step that's a pain. (just noticed this has been fixed in v.75)
Actually, I found out a trick today. Go to -
Green Call Button > BB Key > Options > General Options > Initial View

You can select Call Log, so that is what pops up when you hit call button. I am sooooo glad I found that.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:52 AM   #9
BearsFan78

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec View Post
There has been a lot of reviews and comments on many of the functions of the storm except for the "phone" functions. Can any of the current STORM users please let me know :

Is it easy to place or answer a call while mobile ? Placing a call is easy while mobile. I have set a convenience to go strait to my call log since most likely I'm calling someone who I talk to frequently. There is also a voice dial feature (haven't used it yet, but I'm hearing positive things about that feature from other forums - you will need to have a bluetooth enable ear piece to make use this feature). As far as answering a call I'm having issues if I'm NOT on my Jawbone - not sure what the problem is, but my phone wont pick up when I hit the green button either on the screen or the green button on the phone.

Is the speaker phone audio loud and clear comapred to the bold ??? I can't compare to the Bold, but as far as I know this is the loudest speaker phone I have ever used. Very clear and crisp. Very easy to mute and unmute.

How about operating it one handed to make calls ?? I haven't had any issues making calls one handed. I have pretty small hands and no issues typing a number in w/ one hand or scrolling to get to a contact.

What is the process to activate a speed dial ?? Not a huge user of speed dial b/c i never can remember who is assigned what number. But process is pretty simple. How many clicks or steps ??? It's about two steps - click on green phone button (i.e. the call button) and press and hold the number assigned to the person you are trying to call. If you can't remember whose assigned what number it's going to be a few extra clicks - after you press the green button press the menu button then click on "View Speed Dial List" click on the person and it will automatically call them.

I would try out these functions on my own, except that all the storms in my area are sold out right now.

I would greatly appreciate your inputs...
Hope this helps. Overall I am VERY satisfied with my phone and like it more and more every day.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:39 AM   #10
firstfj

Great Speaker Phone, Nice interaction with Jawbone 2, voice dial, and responses quickly to inputs. Check sig for what I am running and profile info to left for what I am running.

Before I ran the .74 and .94 phone was very laggy and frustrating. Now, it acts like a cell phone and computer like its supposed to!
Old 12-03-2008, 02:40 AM   #11
firstfj

.75 not .74, sorry
Old 12-03-2008, 06:51 AM   #12
Donbp
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

The call quality is the best I have ever had on any mobile phone, regardless of network. It rivals my land line. It may also be the only reason I keep this thing as I can't get used to typing on it. My other phone is a curve on ATT and I can't stand it anymore. I am sick of saying "what" or having the person on the other end say "what" 10 times a call.

Last edited by Donbp; 12-03-2008 at 06:52 AM..
Old 12-03-2008, 08:43 AM   #13
MoreChampagneSir?

Model: 8700
Carrier: Someone

Call quality was very important to me. I tried it at a VZW store, calling the person before on my 8703e, then calling on The Storm....the call quality on The Storm is phenomenal.

I'm getting my Storm today (they shipped it standard overnight instead of the two-day thing).
Old 12-03-2008, 09:01 AM   #14
UndergroundWire

PIN: Ask Me
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouseware View Post
If you go into the applications folder and press the blackberry button, you will be presented with the option to Show All Items.

One of those items is the Call log. Just select it and press the blackberry button again to uncheck hide on it. Select it again to move it out of the folder and into the first row. Vola!
Old 12-03-2008, 09:20 AM   #15
Donbp

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndergroundWire View Post
If you go into the applications folder and press the blackberry button, you will be presented with the option to Show All Items.

One of those items is the Call log. Just select it and press the blackberry button again to uncheck hide on it. Select it again to move it out of the folder and into the first row. Vola!
Nice find. I wonder why it won't show in landscape though. Only portrait. For me anyway.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:09 AM   #16
bakerfall
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

Call quality is fine, no issues there. I really don't like the new call screen though. It defaults to the dial pad, which I guess makes sense, but you have to select other fields to see call log and access your address book. there is also no easy way to start typing a name and just select it.

I would say, on average, it takes 15-20 seconds longer to get to a number and make a call then on any other blackberry I've had.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:38 AM   #17
audiokat

Model: 8830

I miss the ease of functionality of the phone section of the 8830. I'm just not sure though how they could do to much better while making it do all the fun stuff that we all bought it for. I could live with them not changing a single thing as long as they spent their time and money just making it work better and faster.

Until then it's an exercise in patience. "Serenity Now!"
Old 12-03-2008, 12:52 PM   #18
Donbp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerfall View Post
Call quality is fine, no issues there. I really don't like the new call screen though. It defaults to the dial pad, which I guess makes sense, but you have to select other fields to see call log and access your address book. there is also no easy way to start typing a name and just select it.

I would say, on average, it takes 15-20 seconds longer to get to a number and make a call then on any other blackberry I've had.
You can change the default to be whatever you want. Dial Pad, Call Log, Contacts or Previous(?). Once in the dial pad do a bb key>options>general to set it.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:48 AM   #19
UndergroundWire

PIN: Ask Me
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

If you press and hold the call button, your contacts come up.
Closed Thread