baran_khan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Airtel
Default Suggestions for UI design

Please Login to Remove!

Friends,

I would like to have suggestions about best approach for custom UI development for a blackberry development.

I am thinking of a sort of framework or something, that will involve all the custom controls that can be used for a UI generation and was wondering if I can get suggestions that may be helpful in starting with the things.

Anything, would be helpful. I need an approach that can be used to proceed with the process.

Expecting something great!!!
Old 11-19-2008, 08:31 AM   #2
simon.hain
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: o2

i have a library with all the UI classes i created over the years.
some, like my objectlistfield or certain fieldmanagers, are used in nearly every application.
as a "framework" i have a maven build that creates a project with all the classes that i usually use.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:05 AM   #3
fsa3
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Is this something you can make available? I've been looking for pre-built UI components for the BB API for a while with no luck.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:15 AM   #4
sickned
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100T
Carrier: Unknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.hain View Post
some, like my objectlistfield or certain fieldmanagers, are used in nearly every application.
as a "framework" i have a maven build that creates a project with all the classes that i usually use.
Would you share it?
Old 11-19-2008, 11:26 PM   #5
baran_khan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
HI,

well thanks for the reply, can you either share your approach like what lies where basically the architecture sort of thing or else can you share ur library with us.

Awaiting reply!!
Old 11-20-2008, 05:32 AM   #6
simon.hain
CrackBerry Addict

libraries are kind of like the accumulated knowledge of a developer. thus there will be no code here. some kind of open source library would sure make developing a lot easier, but i really doubt my company would pay me for it.

there are two approaches to create such a library:
- have a library (an extra jar/cod) that is installed seperately. i use this for my modified ksoap2, for example.
- have a seperate project and add the classes you need to your current project. i use this for my ui components, don't have to pay attention to backward compatibility this way, and no need to install an extra cod on the devices.

some components are really easy to develop, like a bitmapfield that acts like a button, and you can reuse them a lot.
there are also quite some non-ui things that reoccur in every second application, like network connectivity, webservices or certain options. develop modular and reuse.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:34 PM   #7
baran_khan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
libraries are kind of like the accumulated knowledge of a developer. thus there will be no code here. some kind of open source library would sure make developing a lot easier, but i really doubt my company would pay me for it.

there are two approaches to create such a library:
- have a library (an extra jar/cod) that is installed seperately. i use this for my modified ksoap2, for example.
- have a seperate project and add the classes you need to your current project. i use this for my ui components, don't have to pay attention to backward compatibility this way, and no need to install an extra cod on the devices.

some components are really easy to develop, like a bitmapfield that acts like a button, and you can reuse them a lot.
there are also quite some non-ui things that reoccur in every second application, like network connectivity, webservices or certain options. develop modular and reuse.
Well Simon,

thanks for ur suggestions, but what I am looking for is the suggestions of having an architecture of all the UI components i.e. our custom UiApplication extended class that is capable of using all our custom elements packaged with other utility custom elements.

Each of this element will be having its own controllers. e.g. lets say in terms of layouts, we build a complete architecture of all possible layout structures we might be needing like a table layout which is not present in JDE 4.2.1.

I dont want to use each custom control separately as that will be more like patching things up.

Any guesses how we can proceed with such an architecture.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:16 AM   #8
simon.hain
CrackBerry Addict

if i need a table layout i add a TableManager to the screen. There are a few other managers i wrote but i use SpacerField in most cases.
UiApplication is only a container, how would you add layout functions to it? to display stuff you need screens, to layout stuff managers etc.

a screen or manager can provide a certain layout and all screens of your application extend it.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:59 AM   #9
baran_khan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
if i need a table layout i add a TableManager to the screen. There are a few other managers i wrote but i use SpacerField in most cases.
UiApplication is only a container, how would you add layout functions to it? to display stuff you need screens, to layout stuff managers etc.

a screen or manager can provide a certain layout and all screens of your application extend it.
Well TableManager you wrote, thats I am trying to do something similar, but on a larger scale, where the whole RIM package can be involved as custom elements.

The major part is UI and I want to have a package that can give me custom look based on the preferences I give, e.g. the custom layout, background color etc.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:23 AM   #10
fsa3
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Something open source like this would be great. I feel like the BB development tools / community is quite weak compared to the size of the BB user community.

Last edited by fsa3; 11-22-2008 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: wrong place
Old 11-25-2008, 01:07 AM   #11
baran_khan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Suggestions Guys, I am looking for best options to get this thing done. I know there are plenty of things that I am sure can make it much better than what I am thinking right now.

Expecting the best!!!!