DrjonesUSA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_50 View Post
I am completely disappointed with the price of this phone, I went to the ATT corporate store last night and they want 470.00 for the thing with the 2 year contract agreement and it has 100 mail in rebate. WAAAAY to steep IMO. Guess i'll wait a few more months and see if the price comes down. Oh well

Just get an iPhone.......$199 if you are upgrade eligible........(can't believe I'm saying this but.....) it IS better!!!

The way I see it, frankly, the Bold is just an 8800 with a prettier face and 3G........

Now, the Storm.......THAT would be worth a look too.......but no wifi!!! WTF???
Old 11-05-2008, 08:46 PM   #62
purple_50
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 24360449

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrjonesUSA View Post
Just get an iPhone.......$199 if you are upgrade eligible........(can't believe I'm saying this but.....) it IS better!!!

The way I see it, frankly, the Bold is just an 8800 with a prettier face and 3G........

Now, the Storm.......THAT would be worth a look too.......but no wifi!!! WTF???

I thought i wanted an iphone for a while, but then my sister and her husband bought them and i had some time to play with it. I can honestly say i don't care for it, yes it's cool in it's own ways, but as far as functionality goes the BB wins hands down IMO. And I am an auto and diesel tech so i could see the iphone screen getting trashed in a hurry.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:04 PM   #63
kimmydo

Model: 9000
Smile

I had the 1st generation iPhone and I can honestly say, I absolutely hated it and was ready to get rid of it when the bold came out. I went to the AT&T store on Monday, November 3rd and they were already selling the bold. I grabbed a bold right on the spot and as I was checking out, the sales guy saw my iPhone and asked me what I was going to do with it. Honestly, I was going to just chunk the thing but he offered me $100 off the price of the Bold. Heck, I would've given it away for free. Final outcome? $299 upfront plus the $100 mail in rebate, for a grand total of $199.. $220ish with tax. I can't complain.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:57 PM   #64
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: eapple and ham pizza is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
All I have to say is...Wow!!!

What specifically is the $200 in credits to account?

I have been a long time customer with two lines on my family talk plan. My bill is about $95 monthly. Dang, everytime I call AT&T sales support, they can't do a thing for me. Maybe because my line is not eligible for an upgrade until 11/02/2009 and my wife's line 1/2/2009? Anyway around this without getting wacked with upgrade fees and having to pay full price? Help!!!
I paid for the phone up front and they credit my account $200. My bill is $200 lower and thus it works out to 99 after the MIR. I added a curve for my wife a month ago and did the same thing-that was free after credits. They can credit service alot easier than reduce the cost of the phone. I am just a regular customer so I do not know about premier accounts etc. I have been with one company - Comcast-Metrophone- then Cingular -then ATT since I bought my first beeper in 1992 plus I have 4 lines and alot of service costs- I guese it is worth it to them.

As a note_ I tried this through the "upgrade" department and they said they would never do something like that and they let me walk with no order. I then called regular sales and 30 minutes later I was done. I was very upfront and just asked for what I wanted- I actually asked for the full cost- we settled on $100.

Last edited by johnfromphilly; 11-06-2008 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: better wording in last paragraph
Old 11-05-2008, 10:15 PM   #65
UptownGirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Amazon has them for $149

Just saw Amazon - they are offering the Bold for $249 less $100 MIR for total price of $149. Same deal as AT&T - 2 year contract, and unlike WalMart, you can sign up for any plan not just the super-expensive ones.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:36 PM   #66
bugsnest
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: ATT

From the looks of it, Amazon and/or Wirefly may have this phone for *FREE* (or close to it) before the holiday season ends.
I was at Bestbuy this evening to see a working model of the phone and the sales person said rather matter of factly that this was not really a *HOT ITEM* in their stock and he was expecting the prices to fall by Thanksgiving... cool phone though...

Last edited by bugsnest; 11-05-2008 at 10:38 PM..
Old 11-05-2008, 11:31 PM   #67
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Wait until Black Friday. I bet the Bold is almost free by then, at least for new ATT customers. Word has it that the 8900 Curve will release on Tmob that day, and the touchscreen Vzn Storm may hit the market about then too. I plan to wait it out for a few weeks myself, looking hard at the 9500 and 8900. It's a good time to love BBs.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:39 PM   #68
Xaneth
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Got an invitation to a small busniness Bold launch put on by AT&T and RIM and we all got FREE Bolds. Lovin it! Had to sit through two hours of a general presentation, along with all the new features, some of which are not all that new for those of us with up to date software for our Curves. Got to meet some third party software/hardware vendors that had some booths set up, and they also had a drawing for free Bold accessories. There were actually a bunch of empty seats, only 100 allowed, and probably about 75 turned out. Mostly IT managers that got invited that were responsible for large purchases of AT&T handsets for their fleets. My boss got me an invite. I used to do all the cell purchasing for my last job, but really lucked out and got a seat at this one.

Last edited by Xaneth; 11-06-2008 at 12:22 AM..
Old 11-05-2008, 11:55 PM   #69
holden

Model: 9700
PIN: TOFJAGER
Carrier: Cingular-AT&T-Verizon-Nextel

I consider myself lucky, as my employer bought me the phone today which will arrive on Friday through primier. I just setup my 2nd Bold today for another one of our tech managers. The upper company managers will be next...

Fast phone with stunning display and fast track ball. The 3g is fast...

I looked at the Walmart deal and yes, it looks like they challange you with only the higher priced plans. The wirefly deal for 199 looks good.

H.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:50 AM   #70
walds11
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 3GS
Carrier: at&t

I do understand that every account qualifies for different additional discounts. I guess I will have to do some more digging or hope the price of the Bold comes down

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfromphilly View Post
I paid for the phone up front and they credit my account $200. My bill is $200 lower and thus it works out to 99 after the MIR. I added a curve for my wife a month ago and did the same thing-that was free after credits. They can credit service alot easier than reduce the cost of the phone. I am just a regular customer so I do not know about premier accounts etc. I have been with one company - Comcast-Metrophone- then Cingular -then ATT since I bought my first beeper in 1992 plus I have 4 lines and alot of service costs- I guese it is worth it to them.

As a note_ I tried this through the "upgrade" department and they said they would never do something like that and let me walk. I called regular sales and 30 minutes later I was done. I was very upfront and just asked for what I wanted- I actually asked for the full cost- we settled on $100.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:21 PM   #71
DrjonesUSA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_50 View Post
I thought i wanted an iphone for a while, but then my sister and her husband bought them and i had some time to play with it. I can honestly say i don't care for it, yes it's cool in it's own ways, but as far as functionality goes the BB wins hands down IMO. And I am an auto and diesel tech so i could see the iphone screen getting trashed in a hurry.

True, but every device has its shortcomings - I cannot imagine the BB's trackball would fare well when covered in grease either.......

Again, the few times I played with one I was not convinced either, but as another poster in this thread said, you cannot really get a feel for a device until it is YOURS to fiddle with for a good week or two.

In any case, good luck with whatever route you choose.....
Old 11-06-2008, 09:59 PM   #72
Xaneth
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

When you get your new Bold, make sure to update to .168. I had issues with .167, the version that came on my phone as outlined in a thread I started. Apparently, I'm not the only one with issues:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...exception.html

Hopefully, there are only a few of us with issues, but mine came up within the first day when I did a battery pull. Java exception errors and all kinds of missing icons and broken functionality.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:38 AM   #73
CodyMac
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130

Quote:
I do understand that every account qualifies for different additional discounts. I guess I will have to do some more digging or hope the price of the Bold comes down
Walds, I'm in the same boat as you. I'd spend up to $350 out of pocket for a Bold, but I can't find anyone to even sell me one at that price. I'm an ATT lifer, but wife and I aren't eligible for upgrade until 7/2009. I've tried a couple of stores, called sales, etc. No one is willing to budge off of full retail price, pretty much.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:15 AM   #74
Caspan
No longer Registered.

Carrier: Rogers

To be honest and truthful I'm not trying to pick a fight but I don't think unless they gave it away for free anyone would be happy with the pricing. I will never buy a phone on a plan I buy all my devices unlocked and it gives me the flexibility on my wireless plan to do what ever I want. The Wireless company can't control me anymore once you take that away from them and their are no contract it gives you the power back to ask what you want of them.. Use power to your advantage they need you not the other way around.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:30 PM   #75
TheBigNewt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyMac View Post
Walds, I'm in the same boat as you. I'd spend up to $350 out of pocket for a Bold, but I can't find anyone to even sell me one at that price. I'm an ATT lifer, but wife and I aren't eligible for upgrade until 7/2009. I've tried a couple of stores, called sales, etc. No one is willing to budge off of full retail price, pretty much.
Just wait a few weeks and see what happens. The price will come down. It always does (this ain't OPEC we're dealing with here!). Keep your line in the water and the fish will start biting. There are several new BBs coming out soon. ATT will cut you a deal for a 2 year extension so you don't jump ship for Tmob/Verizon soon.
Figure if both of you jumped ship it'd cost ATT about $4,000 for 2 years. Think they'd slip you 2 Bolds for maybe $150 each to keep you onboard for 2 years? I do.

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 11-07-2008 at 12:34 PM..
Old 11-07-2008, 10:03 PM   #76
holden

Model: 9700
PIN: TOFJAGER
Carrier: Cingular-AT&T-Verizon-Nextel

Quote:
I think At&t pricing is like buying an airline ticket....
Old 11-09-2008, 04:54 PM   #77
JojiV

Thumbs up I got the bold from Sams' club yesterdya for $193+taxes

I was looking for a new blackberry and the price of-course seemed very high. To my surprise I found it at Sam's club yesterday for $193+taxes with a 2 year renewal. No mail-in-rebate, etc.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:00 AM   #78
Hauser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Think of total cost of ownership of the device, for example I'll likely have my Bold for 2 years at about $100/mo so my total cost will be $299 + $2400 = $2699. With an iPhone my TCO is $100 less at $2599, or 4% less, or 14 cents per day.

Is 14 cents per day enough to make me choose an iPhone or Google phone over the Bold? For me the answer is HELL NO but your mileage may vary.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:47 PM   #79
CodyMac
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130

Quote:
Originally Posted by JojiV View Post
I was looking for a new blackberry and the price of-course seemed very high. To my surprise I found it at Sam's club yesterday for $193+taxes with a 2 year renewal. No mail-in-rebate, etc.
Just curious, but were you eligible for an upgrade through ATT?
Old 11-11-2008, 08:38 PM   #80
Joshiyama
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800

After much debate I ended up with a bold iPhone is not worth it dang App store is a rip off. Can't get off the Blackberry, no Intl Unlimited data for iPhone. $399 premeire store. Good thing I approve the bill when it comes in.

Last edited by Joshiyama; 11-11-2008 at 08:39 PM..
Closed Thread