BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 08:13 PM   #1
J_Uneek

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint
Default Weird Curve Issue.. Need advice

Please Login to Remove!

I absolutely love my Curve but it's acting weird. I get the hourglass symbol on the screen about every second. It's so frequent that it looks like it's flashing the symbol. The only running programs are the phone, messages, BBM, home and browser. Whatever the issue is, it's KILLING my battery. Have anybody seen it before? The most recent changes to my phone have been the installation the facebook app and google maps 2.3.1. I haven't seen this issue with any other versions of google apps and I have a feeling that isn't the culprit but who knows. I just woke up one morning and the phone was doing this. Any suggestions? I'm running the stock 4.3 OS..
Old 09-25-2008, 08:38 PM   #2
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Uneek View Post
I absolutely love my Curve but it's acting weird. I get the hourglass symbol on the screen about every second. It's so frequent that it looks like it's flashing the symbol. The only running programs are the phone, messages, BBM, home and browser. Whatever the issue is, it's KILLING my battery. Have anybody seen it before? The most recent changes to my phone have been the installation the facebook app and google maps 2.3.1. I haven't seen this issue with any other versions of google apps and I have a feeling that isn't the culprit but who knows. I just woke up one morning and the phone was doing this. Any suggestions? I'm running the stock 4.3 OS..
Sounds like you are out of memory. Hourglass = low memory. Menu>Options>Status (what is your file free?) If it's less that 15Mb (15,000,000) then see:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ee-memory.html

P.S. I don't know about Facebook but Google maps is a LARGE application. Did you remove the native BB Maps before installing it?

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs

Last edited by Thatzmister2u; 09-25-2008 at 08:39 PM..
Old 09-25-2008, 10:46 PM   #3
J_Uneek

32MB free actually... Nah I haven't uninstalled bb maps.. I always had it installed with google maps though... Weird...
Old 09-25-2008, 11:11 PM   #4
J_Uneek

The issue was facebook.. I deleted it, and restarted and it solved the issue. UNfortunately it was blocking my emails as well. After I restarted, I got like 30 emails. Thanks for your reply.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:36 PM   #5
adorkable
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: Ask.
Carrier: Verizon

My phone just started having the exact same issue a couple days ago!

First I noticed my battery was draining very quickly. I charge my BB every night, but by the early afternoon the battery is practically dead even without using the phone all day. Next I noticed that when the battery was low the hourglass would start flashing every second or so. I did a battery pull and it seemed to stop for a while.

Today after doing a battery pull, I immediately got 6 facebook notifications. The same thing happened after the battery pull I did yesterday, so I'm glad you said that removing facebook solved the problem. I'm going to give that a shot and see if it works. I don't know why the facebook app would be behaving like this all of a sudden, though, because I've been using it forever and it never gave me problems until recently.
Closed Thread