BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 06:26 PM   #1
ibodybuild
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Rogers newest Curve 8300 firmware?

Please Login to Remove!

I'm wondering where I can download the newest firmware for the blackberry curve 8300 considering I'm with Rogers in Canada?

Thanks
Old 10-22-2008, 06:29 PM   #2
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Here is the newest OS for the 8300. It is not from Rogers, but carrier does not matter. Just remove the vendor.xml file and you will be fine.

Follow the instructions exactly as they read and you will be fine.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...languages.html

Best of luck
Old 10-22-2008, 06:31 PM   #3
ibodybuild
Thumbs Must Hurt

Alright thanks a lot. I had been wondering because I saw that firmware for some other company and not Rogers so thought since I'm with Rogers that it may not work...

With this new firmware update, does it give the phone video recording capabilities now?

Also, will other programs like specificallly BeeJiveIM still work once I upgrade the firmware?

Thanks again
Old 10-22-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
jsconyers

Yes, you will get both video and voice recording. You will also get HTML email and a better browser, not to mention you will be able to play youtube videos as well.

BeeJiveIM will work if you install Docs To Go. Make sure you put a check box for it when you upgrade.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:35 PM   #5
ibodybuild
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
Yes, you will get both video and voice recording. You will also get HTML email and a better browser, not to mention you will be able to play youtube videos as well.

BeeJiveIM will work if you install Docs To Go. Make sure you put a check box for it when you upgrade.
Sweet! I can't believe that youtube and stuff would work on it, that's pretty awesome.

So BeeJiveIM will ONLY work if I install Docs to Go? What if I don't install Docs to Go? I think Docs to Go cost money?
Old 10-22-2008, 06:39 PM   #6
jsconyers

Not all youtube videos will play, but the majority of them will. Just visit m.youtube.com.

From what I've read you need Docs To Go in order for it to work. I am running 4.5 with Docs To Go and BeeJiveIM and it is working flawlessly.

The standard version of Docs To Go is packaged in with 4.5. There is no cost involved with this unless you upgrade you to the premium version.

Last edited by jsconyers; 10-22-2008 at 06:40 PM..
Old 10-22-2008, 06:42 PM   #7
ibodybuild
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Not all youtube videos will play, but the majority of them will. Just visit m.youtube.com.

From what I've read you need Docs To Go in order for it to work. I am running 4.5 with Docs To Go and BeeJiveIM and it is working flawlessly.

The standard version of Docs To Go is packaged in with 4.5. There is no cost involved with this unless you upgrade you to the premium version.
Thanks

May I ask, you have the curve correct? How does the battery life last for you until you have to do a full charge? 2 days or less?

Also if I had a 1GB data plan for the month would that do well for me for youtube streaming, beejiveIM, email, etc..?
Old 10-22-2008, 06:46 PM   #8
jsconyers

I do not have the curve, I have the 8830. I get a good 2 days out of my device. That is with a lot of IM, email, and occasional browsing.

Youtube is VERY data intensive. I would use it sparingly for the first month or two to see how your data usage looks, depending on that, then increase/decrease as needed.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:11 PM   #9
ibodybuild
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I do not have the curve, I have the 8830. I get a good 2 days out of my device. That is with a lot of IM, email, and occasional browsing.

Youtube is VERY data intensive. I would use it sparingly for the first month or two to see how your data usage looks, depending on that, then increase/decrease as needed.
Alright thanks

See this is my situation, could I have some feedback please:

I have to use a curve and now I currently have a iphone and am really bothered by it! So I'm going to go back to my curve and start using it again for a number of reasons... I hate the iphone keyboard, the iphone doesn't have push email, BeeJiveIM on the iphone doesn't run in the background so you can't get instant notifications, the iphone battery is terrible, etc... I just miss using my Curve and the keyboard was so nice on it. To hear that all these features for the curve will be available with a firmware upgrade is awesome. I personally think the Curve outdoes the iphone on many levels.

So I'm looking to sell my iphone now and I think I can get $450 for it which is pretty good. I'm do for a phone upgrade next August and I was thinking of selling my iphone and curve to get the BLACKBERRY BOLD, but I think I'm just going to use my Curve... what do you say?

The drawback is that since I have a iphone I have a 6GB data plan, but when I switch to the curve Rogers says there going to give me 1GB data plan instead... sucks i just can't put my sim card from the iphone into the curve and use the 6GB but they tell me it's a different data plan for blackberry's.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:17 PM   #10
jsconyers

First off, welcome back to BlackBerry.

It is indeed a different data plan for BlackBerry devices. The curve with 4.5 seems to suit your needs just fine. Upgrading to the Bold may be an option when that time comes, the 8900 should be out soon (upgraded curve). The Storm/Thunder should be out then too (Touchscreen BlackBerry). There are a lot of nice devices coming out in the near future. I say, keep your options open for the time being.

As for the data plan issue. How much data are you currently using on the iPhone? Maybe you can use that as a unit of measure as to how much you may potentially use on the Curve. Do you remember how much data you used to use on the Curve your first go-around with it?
Old 10-22-2008, 07:22 PM   #11
ibodybuild
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks I'm glad to be coming back to blackberry cause the iphone honestly gave me a hard time, I'm referring to they keyboard, using it was just a pain,

On the iphone over 1 month of quite a bit of usage I was using approx. 500mb of Data. I'm thinking that the 1GB data plan for the curve should be good than... The 8900 is coming out, nice, I'll take a look at that, for now I think I'll just sell the iphone and use the curve and save the money instead of buying the Bold.

I don't remember how much data I used with the curve before...
Old 10-22-2008, 07:24 PM   #12
ibodybuild
Thumbs Must Hurt

oh btw what are you thoughts on the iphone?
Old 10-22-2008, 07:25 PM   #13
jsconyers

Take a look at the 8900, you may like what you see. I would go light on the data to start off with and then expand as time goes on if you are able to. Better safe than sorry.

Let us know how the upgrade goes for you!
Old 10-22-2008, 07:27 PM   #14
jsconyers

I think the iPhone is a nice device overall. It doesn't really suit my needs. It has a lot of hype and a nice user interface. It is a good media device and attracts a lot of consumers. I have read about the battery issues as you mentioned. The lack of removable battery is pretty much a deal breaker for me. Overall for the first phone Apple put out, it was a decent product. There is room for improvement of course.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:25 PM   #15
ibodybuild
Thumbs Must Hurt

About the upgrade process, I have a few questions:

1. The upgrade package says EastAsia, does this contain English language to use on the phone?
2. Before I upgrade I'm going to do a backup, should I uninstall all those 3rd party apps on the phone or is it okay to leave them on? do you have any tips/advice pre-upgrading?

Thank you.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:45 PM   #16
jsconyers

It does have english. You can remove the other languages by running the device setup wizard once the OS installs.

Create a backup. I always recommend this. Better safe than sorry, just in case any issues arise. You do not need to remove any 3rd party apps. When you run the upgrade, it will backup your device and then restore it.

My only advice is to follow the instructions in the link provided WORD FOR WORD. If you follow it closely and don't try to take any shortcuts, you should be fine. Be patient, it takes some time. Set aside 45 minutes for it to complete.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:10 PM   #17
ibodybuild
Thumbs Must Hurt

Okay thank you. I was going ask, when I upgrade with the "vodaphone" firmware, will the curve have branding of the vodaphone on the screen and start up?... even though I'm with Rogers.

how come Rogers hasn't released the newest version to download from them?
Old 10-22-2008, 11:13 PM   #18
jsconyers

No, the splash screen will never change, no matter which carrier's OS you load on it. It will always load up with a Rogers logo.

It is hard to say, each carrier tests and releases the OS's as they see fit. Look around the forums here and you will see a lot of people complaining why AT&T hasn't released 4.5 yet either.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:21 AM   #19
ibodybuild
Thumbs Must Hurt

Okay thanks, sorry I am confused on which to download.. on the download page there's, which one do I download to get the newest firmware, the chinese/english one?:

- BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.5.0.108 (EastAsia)

- BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.2.2.222 (Chinese/English)

- BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.2.2.164 (Multilanguage)
Old 10-23-2008, 06:53 AM   #20
jsconyers

This will be the one you need for the features you are looking for.

- BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.5.0.108 (EastAsia)
Closed Thread