Ryan8700
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: GPONG
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Default Leaving iPhone 3G, coming back to BlackBerry - Email Questions

Please Login to Remove!

Hello everyone,

I've had every BlackBerry to date (except the Pearl) and I made the mistake on July 11th of getting the iPhone 3G. It's a pretty phone but it's just pissing me off now, and I've listed it on eBay and plan to get the BlackBerry Bold at Rogers Wireless in Canada.

I have an E-mail question... the people I work for have an E-mail address for me to respond to clients. The mail server is POP. The issue is, they have an incoming server (mail.theirsite.com), but no outgoing server! They say that I need to use the outgoing server of my ISP. Well, the problem is that I have AOL Canada and they don't allow POP connections.

I was able to solve this problem on my iPhone by setting up the POP account with their incoming server, and using "SMTP.rogerswirelessdata.com" as outgoing, it solved the problem.

Basically what I'm asking is, will this pop3 account, that basically has no outgoing server, work on the BlackBerry Bold? Will I have to use smtp.rogerswirelessdata.com, or will BlackBerry BIS automatically configure this for me when i enter the account details on rogers.com/bis ?

Thanks in advance for your help. I can't be with this company without their E-mail address so I need to ensure I can recieve and respond to emails on my BlackBerry.

Also, will my MobileMe account work on my BlackBerry Email?

ALSO, all these additional Email accounts WILL be push, right? Because, oh my god, that's the worst thing about the iPhone - no push email for your personal accounts other than MobileMe. Who the hell wants an @me.com account?!

Thanks!
Old 09-27-2008, 09:28 AM   #2
ricpac
BBFAQ Sysop

PIN: Alt+Shift+H
Carrier: GLOBE

Yes that should work including MobileMe. My @mac.com and @me.com are delivered fairly instant. You'll be happy!
Old 09-27-2008, 09:31 AM   #3
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Wirelessly posted (Breaking Ball)

You need not specify any outgoing smtp server for any email accounts on your Blackberry.
Outbound messaging is all handled by BIS.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:33 AM   #4
Ryan8700

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
Wirelessly posted (Breaking Ball)

You need not specify any outgoing smtp server for any email accounts on your Blackberry.
Outbound messaging is all handled by BIS.
Music to my ears! I miss BlackBerry!

Thanks, both of you ^^^
Old 09-27-2008, 01:15 PM   #5
Reverend Beavis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: TMO
Default iPhone vs BlackBerry

I'm planning on switching from my BlackBerry 8800 to an iPhone 3G in the next couple of months (Christmas present). I'm curious what it is that has you upset about the iPhone. What am I getting myself into?
Old 09-27-2008, 01:23 PM   #6
Ryan8700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Beavis View Post
I'm planning on switching from my BlackBerry 8800 to an iPhone 3G in the next couple of months (Christmas present). I'm curious what it is that has you upset about the iPhone. What am I getting myself into?
Oh my god! Please, take this warning... DONT get the iPhone!

I wrote a huge "review" on another forum and I'll post it here for you to see why I HATE the iPhone. Yes, it's very animated and fun, but it's VERY laggy, always freezes, always crashes, EMAIL IS A JOKE! Yes it's pretty html, but at what cost? Push is barely push and is a complete disapointment! DONT GET IT PLEASE! Take it from me, a 17 year old, I would take the BlackBerry over the iPhone any day!

Get the Bold or wait for the Thunder. You'll be very happy with the iPhone at FIRST but it wont take long for you to realize what a mistake youve made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uPhone View Post
I'm sorry, I have to say this. I know I'll get flamed, being on an iPhone forum, but I have to let the world know. The iPhone is no where near a BlackBerry killer, all or one simple reason.

The mail application on the iPhone is abysmmal. Perhaps the only thing keeping it "up there" is the fact that yes, it is very pretty; it is nicely animated, looks like a real E-mail, has amazing attatchment support, and can handle special fonts/bold/underline/size etc. It's real HTML.

But Apple is far away from ever being a RIM killer. I'm sorry, but unless you have a BlackBerry connected to the BIS server, you have no authority in disputing that.

MobileMe: Yes, I'm aware of MobileMe. While this certainly is a nice utility (yes, I have the free trial - and will not be renewing it), it only supports @me.com accounts. Is that a joke? Why the hell would I want an @me.com account for push E-mail. For push E-mail, I want MY E-mail addresses that I've had for years, that all of my subscriptions are linked to, that all of my friends and family email to. While certainly nice, I wont even discuss the other features of MobileMe because they're just there to distract you from the fact that the iPhone is NOT a revolutionary mobile mail device.

I know, there is always the ability of forwarding all of my E-mail accounts to my MobileMe account - but why would I do this? This is such an inconvinience for the end user.

iPhone fans, meet BlackBerry BIS. BlackBerry BIS, meet iPhone fans:

This is the standard BIS entrance that appears on every carrier's website. Same layout, different logos at the top. Let's say that I just got a new E-mail address. It's not an @me.com account, but I still want push E-mail for it. All I need to do is log into that site, click "add new account", enter my E-mail and password (no IMAP or POP credentials, BlackBerry does it for you. As if the average consumer knows what the hell IMAP or POP is :rolleyes: )

And there, it's done, you've got push E-mail for yet another account. Any account. You can have up to 10 I believe on Rogers. This works for EVERY major E-mail carrier, including Hotmail, Live, AIM, AOL, Yahoo, and everything else.

You might be interested to know that I turned my iPhone on today to wake up to 3 E-mails. I have perfect service and the 3G . Yet when I click my E-mail, what do I get? "This message has not been downloaded from the server." Still, I have this message, 20 minutes later.

Now granted, that's not my push E-mail account, but it is still inconvinient. If Apple wants to compete with RIM, they need to invest millions, if not hundreds of millions, in a "revolutionary" new E-mail server, or, add unlimited Push E-mail to the MobileMe subscription. Then I'll buy it.

MY Comparisson of Push E-mail between the BlackBerry and the iPhone

While this section is maybe arguable, I'll let you know of my experience within the last 3 days.

BlackBerry PUSH: Send me an E-mail, it's there the second you've sent it. It's litterally there before you can say "BlackBerry"

iPhone PUSH: It seems to travel fast, however, don't quote me on this or anything, but it seems like it depends on a high cell signal in order for it to act like "real" push. Maybe I'm wrong, but if I'm right, the BlackBerry can push on a very limited signal (one bar).

So, there is my essay as to why the iPhone does not KILL the BlackBerry.

- FIN -

Last edited by Ryan8700; 09-27-2008 at 01:29 PM..
Old 09-27-2008, 01:42 PM   #7
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Oh joy!
Old 09-27-2008, 01:52 PM   #8
Ryan8700

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Oh joy!
You know you missed me!!!
Old 09-27-2008, 02:09 PM   #9
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

Iphone the 1st came out, I wanted one. But email was why I was getting a new phone so went with the Curve. About 9 months later, Iphone the 2nd comes out and I could care less.

A news anchor was reporting and said "you know you want one". It wasn't until she said that, that I realized I had no desire at all. Next week I'll fly to Asia and in my hotel I'll be able to get all my email and make calls back home over wifi for free. Then I'll drop in a local sim card at hit the town.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:11 PM   #10
hell

Model: BBPP
Carrier: SimpleMobile

Jajaja, i knew it!!!!!!!!! The other day a Guy told, that he prefers an IPHONE over My BaBy.
I could not refused because I am not a Guru in the materia, but now i KNOW!!!!!!

Iphones are good as MP3 Player, a little FUN, Calls, but BB Rocks!!!!
Thanks, very nice Review, i read and it was very intresting...

This message was offtopic but i feel the need of express my self....
Old 09-27-2008, 04:34 PM   #11
Reverend Beavis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: TMO
Default Email

The email is my biggest concern, but I know 3 people personally who have iPhones and report no issues at all with email. I still think I'm going to have to give them a try.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:51 PM   #12
PaulMdx

Model: 8310
PIN: T of Guinness
Carrier: O2 UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan8700 View Post
I wrote a huge "review" on another forum and I'll post it here for you to see why I HATE the iPhone.
Hehe, that must have *really* wound up the forum! Do you have a link to view the fallout?
Old 09-28-2008, 06:24 AM   #13
btdown
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
The other day a Guy told me, that he prefers an IPHONE
I've recently met a couple of those people too..They're usually teenagers or young adults with jobs that do not expose them to the necessity reliable email delivery.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:11 PM   #14
Ryan8700

one more question. When I get my new BB, when I add m email accounts, will it download all of the read emails in that accout? (that would be a good thing). Thanks.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:48 PM   #15
mrtune
Knows Where the Search Button Is

No. It will only download new incoming messages. It will not grab old sent/received email.

This was my biggest gripe when moving to a blackberry from an iphone. I use IMAP email. With my iphone, once I setup my email it grabbed everything. All previous sent/received plus all my folders and emails within those. Allowed me to move emails to other folders. Read/unread reconciliation was perfect too. Any changes on either the web, computer(s) or phone would be reflected on one another. A blackberry on bis doesn't offer any of this which is a big shame. We shouldn't be forced to use a corporate bes system along with a higher monthy data plans to get these kind of features. These are basic email features.

I switched not because of the email on the blackberry, but because of lack of features I wanted in a phone. Blackberry offers MMS, SMS forwarding, copy/paste, better battery life with a removable battery and nicely customizable profiles/notifications.

IMO, while blackberry provides a more reliable email delivery solution, the iphone offers a much better email client. Those who disagree have never used the iphone's email client.

I feel the blackberry is better suited to the corporate customer due to the security features and remote setup capabilities that BES offers. I still believe the blackberry lacks a lot as a consumer phone because they cripple a lot of email feaures hoping you upgrade to the more expensive BES solution they offer.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:16 PM   #16
Ryan8700

Okay, what if I mark then all as unread on Thunderbird before I add the account to my BlackBerry?
Old 09-28-2008, 01:19 PM   #17
mrtune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan8700 View Post
Okay, what if I mark then all as unread on Thunderbird before I add the account to my BlackBerry?
I don't know. Didn't try that. While I think it won't work, it can't hurt to try.

The pain of not having older emails on the device wears off the longer you have it since all new emails will get pushed to the device. I've gotten used to simply reading and responding to new emails only on the phone and doing all the other leg work such as archiving on the computer. I do wish I could do it all from the phone, but it's something I have to deal with until RIM starts adding these features for regular consumers such as myself.

Last edited by mrtune; 09-28-2008 at 01:21 PM..
Old 09-28-2008, 03:59 PM   #18
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Beavis View Post
The email is my biggest concern, but I know 3 people personally who have iPhones and report no issues at all with email. I still think I'm going to have to give them a try.
Try it, if you don't like it, you can always return it.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:45 PM   #19
acaijr

Model: 9900
PIN: 280FB4D6
Carrier: Digicel

i c peeps downing the iphone but jus like how the iphone lacks security for business users the bb lacks the average consumer features...... The bb is the superior bizness phone the iphone is an all rounder meaning its a phone a ipod and a psp of sorts.... the bb offers more out of the box which is great but if you got a jailbroken iphone thats got certified by apple apps and uncertified apps through the installer then the Blackberry loses hands down to the iphone... but thats only if youve taken the time to hack an iphone like i have.. The most i like bout my bb is the battery life n the bb messenger ...... im waitn for the storm so i can grab a hold of that n see wa it about....
Old 10-28-2008, 04:57 PM   #20
fiya

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

emails look pretty on the iphone, but the bb is a winner hands down. I enjoy using my BB a lot more than my iPhone, but acaijr is right, when it comes to apps, the iPhone gives the BB a run for the money...
Closed Thread