Old 09-16-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
piccopower
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Default can you block certain numbers?

Please Login to Remove!

I keep getting a call from a unkown number...-s there a way to block it?
Old 09-16-2008, 07:32 PM   #2
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Check out Black & White list in AfterMarket Software
Old 09-16-2008, 08:56 PM   #3
MICP1480
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: Verizon

I have a program that kicks all. I am using a program called you mail. This is free and all I can see it's wonderful. I won't be able to write everything it does, but I can tell you to go check it out. Google you mail and you will find it.

MICP1480
Old 09-17-2008, 09:54 AM   #4
Baldie
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9360
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICP1480 View Post
I have a program that kicks all. I am using a program called you mail. This is free and all I can see it's wonderful. I won't be able to write everything it does, but I can tell you to go check it out. Google you mail and you will find it.

MICP1480
YouMail involves call forwarding doesn't it? I wanted to try this out but on Sprint, we get charged for call forwarding.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:01 AM   #5
johnlatessa
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: iPh 5

Just add the number to your address book and disable all alerts for that number. They'll get your voice mail every time.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:04 AM   #6
jjd228

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon. (Exchange/BES Architect & Engineer since the very very beginning :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldie View Post
YouMail involves call forwarding doesn't it? I wanted to try this out but on Sprint, we get charged for call forwarding.
no. it just becomes your voicemail... no call forwarding. its very powerful, i use it
Old 09-17-2008, 10:45 AM   #7
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlatessa View Post
Just add the number to your address book and disable all alerts for that number. They'll get your voice mail every time.
Add an unknown number to your contact list... Brilliant!
Old 09-17-2008, 12:10 PM   #8
irresistible
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd228 View Post
no. it just becomes your voicemail... no call forwarding. its very powerful, i use it
youmail does involve forwarding your regular phone number to their number which will give you their voice/ditch mail service.

I also like using youmail on occasion, but it eats out of my allotment of (T-Mobile) call forwarding for the month (I get 500 to play around with).
Old 09-17-2008, 12:29 PM   #9
CO_BBTechie

I use You Mail also (AT&T so no added charges.) But I don't understand why this counts as call forwarding on those networks that charge extra for it. You are simply replacing one voice mail number with a different one. It's not call forwarding in the traditional sense. For example, if I set a forwarding number on my phone, that would be used before the call went to voice mail. In the absence of a forwarding number, the voice mail number is used.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:44 PM   #10
ChefJon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie View Post
I use You Mail also (AT&T so no added charges.) But I don't understand why this counts as call forwarding on those networks that charge extra for it. You are simply replacing one voice mail number with a different one. It's not call forwarding in the traditional sense. For example, if I set a forwarding number on my phone, that would be used before the call went to voice mail. In the absence of a forwarding number, the voice mail number is used.
I think because when you are using traditional voice mail the call is not leaving your provider's network to leave a message. When you use services like youmail, the call is leaving your carrier's network to connect to youmail. Presumably there could be charges associated with that.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:06 PM   #11
scottysweb

Model: 8330
Carrier: Altell

Hmmm, so then...........

Can I set a number to forwarded to another number without effecting the rest of incoming calls ? Basicly create my own Youmail .

Example: Add unwanted numbers to addy book. Set those numbers to forward to my service providers customer care number , but all other calls would come to me ?
Old 09-17-2008, 11:45 PM   #12
Sonict120
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: 24a230b7
Carrier: At&t / T~Mobile

i hate that there when your number gets out and people start calliing from block number i need to make this a subscribe this
Old 09-18-2008, 12:11 AM   #13
barbwyr
CrackBerry Addict

You can't specifiy that your phone or a service do anything with a specific number that is unkown as there is nothing to tell them what number it is. The best you could hope for is to handle ALL unknown numbers the same way. For example ignore all unknown numbers, but then this will result in you losing some calls from friends and family who have blocked numbers.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:06 AM   #14
kensing65
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Default add to address book

Quote:
If you add that unknown number to the address book, how do you disable the alert for just that number?
Old 09-18-2008, 10:09 AM   #15
CO_BBTechie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensing65 View Post
If you add that unknown number to the address book, how do you disable the alert for just that number?
To my knowledge, you cannot add an "unknown number" entry to your address book, and therefore cannot specify how these calls are handled.... hence my earlier "brilliant" comment to the poster who suggested this.

You Mail however, does have settings for unknown and private/blocked numbers. I have my settings deliver a sarcastic message to blocked/private callers indicating if they don't want me to know who they are, then I don't want to talk to them. Then it "ditches" them, disallowing them from even leaving a message.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:45 AM   #16
kensing65
Thumbs Must Hurt

[QUOTE=CO_BBTechie;1105312]To my knowledge, you cannot add an "unknown number" entry to your address book, and therefore cannot specify how these calls are handled.... hence my earlier "brilliant" comment to the poster who suggested this.

Ah OK.. thanks... I wasn't sure how to interpret the 'brilliant' when I first found this..
Old 09-18-2008, 08:08 PM   #17
johnlatessa

Model: iPh 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie View Post
Add an unknown number to your contact list... Brilliant!
Hey, it works.. LOL
Old 09-19-2008, 08:08 AM   #18
kensing65
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Hey, it works.. LOL
If you got this to work, can you post how you did it?
Old 09-19-2008, 08:25 AM   #19
ndirish2001
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

Have you looked into Antair's Call Screener (Antair - BlackBerry Call Screener 2.0). I'm a big fan.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:45 AM   #20
davidlnewman

Model: 8130

How does one disable all alerts for a particular number in your address book???
Closed Thread