Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
danmahoney1

Model: 8120
Carrier: att
Default help with pearl-trackball not selecting

Please Login to Remove!

8120 Pearl.
Trackball works fine to move horizontal and verticle, but won't select. I have to use bottom right backwards key
any ideas?
Old 07-05-2008, 08:45 PM   #2
The BlackBerry Kid
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: it is under my battery, and status page
Carrier: T-Mobile

welcome to the forum!
we are always happy to help

you mean that you use the enter key to select. did you try a battery pull?
how long have you had it? can you return it within the 2 weeks and get the new one?
Old 07-06-2008, 09:03 PM   #3
Brad4d
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
PIN: This is BB Fourms Not eHarmony.
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Its probably just lint underneath it, take out the trackball and blow some compressed air in that area. If that doesn't work then bring it in to get fixed.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:28 PM   #4
alox
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell Mobility (Canada)

I had the same problem with the trackball on my 8130 pearl. I took it back to the vendor, and had my handset replaced under the 1 yr. warranty. No muss, No fuss - just a 1 mo. wait to get a new handset, but I think that's more the vendor (Bell Mobility Canada) than the company. Still I found the 'enter' key to be a useful work-around during that time.

Oh, BTW: this is not the same as lint under the ball. I tried the fix for lint under the ball, and it did not resolev the issue. I believe that this is a known issue with the trackball, because there wasn't any trouble with the return / exchange.

Last edited by alox; 07-07-2008 at 01:30 PM..
Old 09-15-2008, 06:39 PM   #5
rav714

Carrier: at&t
Default Trackball not selecting

I just inherited my wifes BB 8310 curve. After complete reset and two days of working to setup and transfer data, the trackball stopped allowing me to select (same as other strings below). I can scroll and highlight with the trackball; the select feature just doesn't work. I have removed, inspected and cleaned the trackball housing (everything looks fine inside); I have updated the firmware drivers, done both a soft and hard reset (again), but always the same outcome - trackball doesn't even respond when you push down to select something. I am working around this by using the enter/return key, but this is frustrating. I have found many bulletin boards where people list the same problems but Blackberry does not seem to address this on their site - Any suggestions? I have a feeling this is something in the software, but I cannot find any selection switch other than the vert/horiz sensitivity selection under options.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:28 PM   #6
heffman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW

...was it working prior to her giving it to you?
Old 09-17-2008, 01:33 PM   #7
rav714

Carrier: at&t
Default Trackball & Keys

Yes, it was working when she gave it to me, and it was working when I started using it. In fact, just after I posted the first message it strangely started working for a day and a half. Then I started noticing that the trackball movements would become exagerated (sped up) and it began selecting items with almost not compression (just touching the trackball), then it stopped selecting again. Right now, I can't even unlock it. The trackball doesn't respond at all (won't even register to light up the keyboard after sleeping). I use the return key to activate, then when I try to punch in my four digit security number the "wrong password" message will flash as soon as the first digit is entered. And, yes, I have tried multiple soft resets and I don't want to do another hard reset and reload unless I have to.

This has to be some kind of software problem that blackberry is aware of but won't share. Somebody has to know what is causing this as I see the same problem crop up on other message boards I am researching.
Closed Thread