BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 05:52 PM   #1
gtiger

Model: 9500
Carrier: AT&T
Default The Best Free Gps Application For 8310

Please Login to Remove!

After reading this GPS forums for months before i finally decided to buy the 8310. Reading everyone's comments about telenav, nav4all and amazeGPS i gave every single one a try with nothing but disappointment. spent almost 20minits & a gallon of gas to find a location using amaze, too much delay in the voice turn by turn directions. poor interface, on amaze and nav4all. telenav is too expensive if you are going to use it every once in a while for a new location. i finally decided to download the good old GOOGLE MAPS and i must say that this application ROCKS on the 8310. after geting lost using amaze i switched over to google and it took me where i needed to go in minits. it highlights the route in a different color and guides you to the distination. Best of all, it is fast, robust, does not use internal memory for maps storage and is absolutely FREE..
Old 08-01-2008, 06:08 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Most would agree with you. Google Maps is a great app, for the free options.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
avelasqu
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Yea, Google Maps is pretty robust. Nav4All seems to work pretty good too if you need or like voice turn by turn.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:46 PM   #4
bigolsparky
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
PIN: t of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
Carrier: VZW and ATT

Wirelessly posted (8310)

I liked BBMaps. That is the only thing I don't like about the new OS.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:06 PM   #5
BB Beast
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: 210974bc
Carrier: AT&T/BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigolsparky View Post
Wirelessly posted (8310)

I liked BBMaps. That is the only thing I don't like about the new OS.
" Originally Posted by justajason View Post
Go in and delete the service book for BBMaps. Then remove them completely from the applications list on DM. "highlight, and click delete".
Reboot the device. Connect to DM, and re-install from the downloaded copy(https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...A20C082&step=4)..
This method worked for me. The newer version of maps that comes with 4.5, has to be servicebook controlled. And the older version does not. When you remove both from the DM's install list, and replace it with the downloaded version, it should make it show up. Good luck..."

The above quote has gotten my BBmaps to work on 4.5 and i'm sure it can get yours working again too...
Old 08-02-2008, 05:54 AM   #6
alda2004

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange

Have worked with Na4All and does a decent job. Do not need my tomtom any longer.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:22 PM   #7
dv2

Model: 8310

One of the neat things about Google Maps is its favorites -- especially when I discovered setting a favorite's start as your current GPS location, and end as your home. I named it "get me home." Wherever you are, call up the favorite and it will route you home from your current location (with a minimal amount of clicks).

I've been using Windows Live Search for the last couple of days, and I really like the interface. I like the GPS tracking and the app's pretty fast. But.. the directions are fairly out of date as a major highway in my area has been closed for a while for construction and it still wants me to use it. Google and nearly everything else know about it.

Last edited by dv2; 08-03-2008 at 11:29 PM..
Old 08-04-2008, 12:01 AM   #8
vlalra
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 2440f547

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB Beast View Post
" Originally Posted by justajason View Post
Go in and delete the service book for BBMaps. Then remove them completely from the applications list on DM. "highlight, and click delete".
Reboot the device. Connect to DM, and re-install from the downloaded copy(https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...A20C082&step=4)..
This method worked for me. The newer version of maps that comes with 4.5, has to be servicebook controlled. And the older version does not. When you remove both from the DM's install list, and replace it with the downloaded version, it should make it show up. Good luck..."

The above quote has gotten my BBmaps to work on 4.5 and i'm sure it can get yours working again too...
Cool I will have to try this. Thanks for the info
Old 08-04-2008, 10:52 PM   #9
gtiger

Model: 9500
Default Background light.

can anyone tell me how to keep the background light ON in google maps and BB maps. i use 8310 with both applications i am have problem with the background light.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:13 AM   #10
spbbp
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8110

Based on my readings so far, you will need to install bbLight application and select appropriate options. I have selected the option to keep the backlight on when external powers is plugged in and that is good enough for me as the backlight will remain in when I'm driving.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:49 AM   #11
legacyb4
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell Mobility

For nitty-gritty GPS tracking data, don't forget to also get GPSed (gpsed.com) although I've noticed if you forget to exit the app, your battery life is impacted.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:16 PM   #12
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: at&t

Doesn't BB Maps have a backlight setting? Google Maps keeps my backlight on. Haven't seen a setting for the backlight anywhere though.

Google Maps is great -- it's just missing voice prompts IMO.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:19 PM   #13
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Pressing "0" on Google Maps will show you your location; Pressing "00" will cause it to track you and should keep the back light on as well.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:24 PM   #14
astromusic

Default No rerouting

Google maps doesn't seem to be in the same league as the other programs (Nav4All, Amaze), because it does not do automatic re-routing when you decide to go a different way than the recommended way. And, you have to manually advance it from turn to turn.

Am I missing something here?

-Kal.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:40 PM   #15
spbbp
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8110
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromusic View Post
Google maps doesn't seem to be in the same league as the other programs (Nav4All, Amaze), because it does not do automatic re-routing when you decide to go a different way than the recommended way. And, you have to manually advance it from turn to turn.

Am I missing something here?

-Kal.
I would say you are absolutely right. For all the hype around it, Google maps can't be called a navigation software. It does not perform some basic functions of a navigation software and hence is not in the same league as other free navigation apps such as amazeGPS & Nav4all. For ex:
  1. There are no voice commands or no visual prompts when you are approaching a turn
  2. There is no automatic rerouting when you deviate from the calculated route.

I hope someone (either someone with better experience or google) proves us wrong...
Closed Thread