BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 11:44 AM   #561
flar
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Just upgraded my T-Mobile 8320 to 4.5. The upgrade went smoothly, many thanks to the messages I read in this board, modulo the following minor issues:

0. (issue avoided) I was forewarned about the Media Card so I removed it before installing the OS and went about backing it up and erasing it while waiting for the install (maybe about an hour total?). And no problems so far so it looks promising.

1. (resolved) There were initially some delays during operations, as in the handheld would go off into neverland for about 30 seconds during some operations that should only take 2 or 3 seconds (like confirming a delete). I thought it had crashed, but patience showed that it would continue on. This seems to have gone away with a battery pull.

2. (mostly resolved) Calendar entries not showing up on the main screen with the BB Dimension Today theme. I looked in the Calendar app and all of my entries were associated with the "Device Default" calendar and none of them were associated with any of the email addresses it listed. I deleted all of my CICAL service books and now the entries show up fine on my home screen and the Option to choose the default calendar CMIME under Options>Advanced>DefaultServices is gone now. I seem to recall a similar issue with this when I upgraded to the then "latest" 4.2 OS a while back and I spent hours trying to consolidate and merge my calendar entries into a single calendar/CICAL, but the solution was easier this time (just delete all of the CICAL service books) since I think I was able to leverage the consolidation work from when I did that before. It's disturbing that the home screen calendar entries could be so fragile as to which CICAL the entries are associated with without some sort of obvious configuration option to set things straight, but I guess I'm happy flying along with no CICAL entries and everything going into the "Device Default" calendar.

3. (status) Don't normally use UMA. Tried a couple of calls on it. One call had some noise in the background, but I don't necessarily have my router optimized for it since I get such good EDGE service at home. I may eventually see if I can configure it for data over WiFi and calls over EDGE.

4. (status) Originally had about 13M free under 4.2. After upgrade I had >20M free. Updated Documents To Go to latest version and now have about 18M free - wondering if the update installed alongside the original rather than getting rid of the original - or is the update 2M larger than the original to include "Sheets To Go"? (Update: It's now 19.2M after reinstalling Opera Mini and doing a battery pull, so maybe it was just "the memory leak" or maybe a battery pull is needed to reclaim the space for the old replaced version of Docs To Go?)

5. (minor issue) My address book now has 2 line entries with blank second lines on about 99% of my entries. It seems the second line is to show the apparently all important "Company" item in the address books which I don't have filled in since this is a personal device. I could find no option to switch back to 1 line entries with just the name. The new display is pretty, but much less useful with half the display lines blank.

On the plus side:

Love the new look of the contact view, though! Also love video (though I probably won't use it much), new browser features (not quite like "Safari on a handheld", but a lot more useable in a lot more cases), new fonts, new browser bookmarks screen. Can't wait to try Docs to Go, but normally don't need it much.

Google Maps 2.2.0 works fine with antenna triangulation.
Opera Mini 4.1.11355 worked fine briefly, but I'm beginning to rely almost exclusively on the built-in browser.
BBweather 0.77 works fine, but I had to reenter the configurations (remembering to hit the trackball button and not the menu button to bring up the Options and remembering to click the "Disable MDS" option).
GeocacheNavigator 2.0.5 nag screen works fine. Unfortunately my trial subscription to GeocacheNavigator ran out before I upgraded so I can't report on it (and it's not quite worth the $6/month fee to reactivate after my GPS puck died in a laundry room accident).

Last edited by flar; 08-03-2008 at 11:50 AM..
Old 08-03-2008, 11:56 AM   #562
gfunkdave
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-mobile

Does anyone else notice really low memory with 4.5? Even after pulling the battery I usually only have about 8 MB free.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:52 PM   #563
velocity

update:
first deleted all the dat files on the card and still had issues so I decided to finally just backup and reformat the card. After doing this and then putting the files back on still had some reboot/freeze issues so I just put my ringtones and a few pics back on and no issues since
Old 08-03-2008, 02:04 PM   #564
mkd284
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300

Just updated my phone with this OS, everything went smoothly took about an hour and some change to update. Only issue I had was getting to view html email, after some searching got it working
Old 08-03-2008, 06:44 PM   #565
ChoRizo

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks for the find, I'm about to start the upgrade process right now, I'll post if I have any issues.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:31 PM   #566
flar
Thumbs Must Hurt

Some more minor issues I noticed with the Camera and Video Camera. (Probably the same issue).

In the Camera app if I choose options there are 2 options that control where to store the pictures. "Store Pictures: [In Device Memory/On Media Card]" and "Folder: ..." which lists a folder on the device. I want to store them on my Media Card in a special folder for the pictures that I took with this device (separate from the folder containing the old pictures I took with my 8100). So, I set the first option to "On Media Card" and choose my special folder for the second. But, they conflict. If I choose "On Media Card" it resets the folder to the default folder on the media card, and if I choose some other folder then it resets the first option to "In Device Memory". Huh? In the end, it doesn't matter what the first option says because it really does store the pictures in the right folder so this is just strange.

But, now on to the Video Camera. It doesn't have the first option, only a folder option. And if I choose a non-default folder, it gives an error that "Videos may be recorded to the Media Card only." So, now it's probably the same bug as with the regular camera, but because they want to restrict the location of the photos they reject changing the folder because of it.

Anyone else able to specify a custom folder for their videos?
Old 08-04-2008, 01:18 AM   #567
ChoRizo

Carrier: Verizon

The install went smooth but I do have the time out error with Google Maps 2.2.0, I'll try to trouble shoot the issue when I get on BES again since I have to reactivate it.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:27 AM   #568
thgirbla

PIN: N/A

Apparently, my OS upgrade made my BBSmart Email viewer think it was a demo version again. Of course I don't have the activation code anymore. I sent an email to them.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:46 AM   #569
stupink
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: orange uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvdilf40 View Post
The shortcuts in photo's are moved to the numeric keys.
Cheers!! the documents i found for 4.5 said it was still io doh!
Old 08-04-2008, 01:12 PM   #570
jcragg

Model: Curve
PIN: 2423C98E

Finally got mine all loaded up, only problem I am having is that I can not sign into gmail chat, yahoo, or msn. Anyone know why?
Old 08-04-2008, 02:10 PM   #571
arliu

Carrier: t-mobile

ive got problems. i updated my os last week and everythign was working fine.
then yesterday, my volume was going crazy when i made a call or was recieving a call. so i did a battery pull. now i dont get any emails and i cant sign on to gtalk or aim. can anyone help me?
Old 08-04-2008, 04:18 PM   #572
madrabbitt
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 305DF5EC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcragg View Post
Finally got mine all loaded up, only problem I am having is that I can not sign into gmail chat, yahoo, or msn. Anyone know why?
Read my post a few posts up.
Have to manually set your APN.

options -> advanced options -> tcp:
APN: wap.voicestream.com
Username (blank)
Password (blank)
Old 08-05-2008, 12:25 PM   #573
lautamas

Carrier: TMobile

I updated mine and the ICQ is not working. It tells me that "SERVICE IS NOT ENABLED FOR THIS HANDHELD". Any clue?
Old 08-05-2008, 01:37 PM   #574
madrabbitt
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 305DF5EC

You may be missing service books. You can see which ones you have in options > advanced > service books...

Or you can just resend them all, and see if that helps.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:24 PM   #575
datboi305
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 216e8182
Carrier: tmobile

i have version 4.2.2.180 and i want to know whats the difference between this and the version i currently have ?
Old 08-05-2008, 05:25 PM   #576
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

there are lots of posts here on what is different. This thread contains many as does the "Beta you than me" forum.

The big items are: Video camera, HTML email, Documents To Go, better UMA/Bluetooth support and much more.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:03 PM   #577
datboi305

is it me or when your upgrading the software it takes forever for it to move from the halfway point at the begining part when it says reading appl config ? im in the process right now
Old 08-06-2008, 10:30 AM   #578
harddude5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100t
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
there are lots of posts here on what is different. This thread contains many as does the "Beta you than me" forum.

The big items are: Video camera, HTML email, Documents To Go, better UMA/Bluetooth support and much more.
I find that my relationship with my wife improved after installing 4.5. Maybe it's the video camera.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:29 AM   #579
WingsAA

I just completed my upgrade and everything went smoothly. However, I am not able to connect to my Lotus Notes account when launching the DM. I get an Email Server Logon window that says: "Your Notes accountis not configured on the selected Blackberry Enterprise Server. Do you wish to select another server?" I have confirmed that I have the correct server and have even refreshed the list and select mine from the list. Still no go.
My company still requires that the device be connected via usb for the enterprise activation to take place so as of now my device isn't activated and receiving email. Any tips?
Old 08-06-2008, 12:21 PM   #580
datboi305

i downloaded and installed 4.5 last night and when i pull the battery all my icons arent in the same place. i would have to reset them in order for them to be where they were before the battery pull. does anyone else have this problem ?
Closed Thread