Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
flar
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Photo numbering

Please Login to Remove!

Most cameras have an option to reset the photo numbering scheme every time the card is formatted, or continue incrementing the numbers even between formats. I particularly like the "always increment" feature because then my photo filenames will never conflict even across formats of the memory card.

It looks like on the Blackberry they try to just adaptively use the next available number based on the photos stored on the device, but they only do so for the default destination folder you are taking pictures into. So, the filenames really aren't unique.

This causes problems if you start managing your photos, a couple of times now I've moved photos around and they have the same name so it asks me if I want to "replace the existing file?". I end up having to manually rename the photos before moving them.

Just an annoyance, but I growl a bit every time I run into it. Am I missing a photo filename option somewhere?
Old 08-04-2008, 02:48 AM   #2
flar
Thumbs Must Hurt

I discovered a little more today. I've recently upgraded to OS 4.5 so it was trying to reuse filename index numbers, but if I moved a picture out of the default folder, the new images would not reuse those index numbers.

So, it looks like (at least on 4.5, can't say about earlier releases) they do always increment the filename number, but the prior index seems to be lost upon upgrading the OS (which explains why I only occasionally ran into the problem - after OS upgrades).

I sort of solved this by taking some small low-quality pictures until the counter incremented past the highest numbered picture I had stored in my folders and then deleated all of those temporary images. Since I had only taken about 80 pictures with my phone, and most of those were in the main folder, I only had to take about 20-25 pictures (about 1 every 2-3 seconds) to get the counter incremented high enough. It would be nice if the counter was save/restored during an OS upgrade, or stored in the download folder, or manually settable...
Old 10-20-2008, 02:05 PM   #3
Ace El Gato

PIN: N/A

My counter had gone up to IMG00477 and then I had to reinstall the OS and the picture counter went back to IMG00001 again. Like you, I could find no way of reseting the "next picture" number on the device. But, I did find that when the Blackberry takes a picture (to the media card), it won't overwrite a picture filename that already exists on the card; it will skip to the next number. So, what I did was temporarily copy all my pictures 1-477 from my computer back to the Blackberry media card again. Then when I took a picture, the next one saved as IMG00478.
Closed Thread