BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 05:37 PM   #1
nutsnbolts
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520
Default Softwares, Desktop manager understanding

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, I'm trying to understand this. This may not be in the right forum but it deals with softwares.

My procedures right now when I'm installing for example BBLight, BBToday, etc. is to download the zip files to my Desktop.

I run Desktop Manager and "add" the software to the list and upload to my BB. Now, obviously, I don't need these files anymore on my desktop so I delete them.

When I install new software, I follow the same procedures, however, the previous softwares installed is no longer there and of course, if I install this new software, the previous softwares would uninstall.

Am I supposed to keep these softwares intact on the same computer? Please let me know. I don't know what is happening or this should be happening. If I do have to keep it intact, I would rather have these software located somewhere else on backup or something.

Please clarify what procedures I should be doing, etc.

Thanks in advance. Feel free to move to another forum if this is not the right forum.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:25 AM   #2
Dusty Saddle
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7250
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutsnbolts
Ok, I'm trying to understand this. This may not be in the right forum but it deals with softwares.

My procedures right now when I'm installing for example BBLight, BBToday, etc. is to download the zip files to my Desktop.

I run Desktop Manager and "add" the software to the list and upload to my BB. Now, obviously, I don't need these files anymore on my desktop so I delete them.

When I install new software, I follow the same procedures, however, the previous softwares installed is no longer there and of course, if I install this new software, the previous softwares would uninstall.

Am I supposed to keep these softwares intact on the same computer? Please let me know. I don't know what is happening or this should be happening. If I do have to keep it intact, I would rather have these software located somewhere else on backup or something.

Please clarify what procedures I should be doing, etc.

Thanks in advance. Feel free to move to another forum if this is not the right forum.

Once you unzip the downloaded files, you can delete the zipped files but you have to keep the unzipped files on the computer so that the Application Loader can confirm that they are there. If you delete them from your computer, the Application Loader can't find them and deletes the software from your Blackberry. Keeping the files on your computer allows you to remove them from the blackberry and reinstall them again, just by clicking the box in the application loader.

Last edited by Dusty Saddle; 09-23-2005 at 05:27 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 09-23-2005, 05:35 AM   #3
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

yes this was a hard lesson learned for me as well I kept getting aggrivated with every app I loaded
Old 09-23-2005, 08:02 AM   #4
nutsnbolts
Thumbs Must Hurt

Is there anyway to move the "UNZIPPED" applications elsewhere and configure DM to point to that location so that I can remove it from my desktop and put it let's say D:/Blackberry Softwares/...

I tried looking for settings and couldn't find any.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:05 AM   #5
Dawg
No longer Registered.

what I did was in my documents I created a folder named nextel and thats where i keep all my unzipped and zipped stuff. If the program is zipped then the DM cant use it so you can move the unzipped to where ever you want but the unzipped just need to be in a folder of some sort so that the dm can find it
Old 09-23-2005, 08:07 AM   #6
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

Yes you can, open up your destop manager, go to options, select Data Folder Settings, and browse to the new location you chose, (actually putting them on D: is a good choice in the event that you have a crash and need to reformat and reload your c:, the zipped files will remain perfectly happy and safe in d:, all you would have to do then is just reload desktop manager and repoint it to the location you choose above).

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 09-23-2005, 08:30 AM   #7
nutsnbolts
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
what I did was in my documents I created a folder named nextel and thats where i keep all my unzipped and zipped stuff. If the program is zipped then the DM cant use it so you can move the unzipped to where ever you want but the unzipped just need to be in a folder of some sort so that the dm can find it
You didn't do any DM settings? I could have sworn I did the same thing and moved it elsewhere and DM didn't pick it up...unless..I need to restart my DM?

DM settings and move?

or

Just move the files?
Old 09-23-2005, 08:35 AM   #8
Dawg
No longer Registered.

no I havent redone any settings at all as a matter of fact i moved some files to a different folder to keep them from being loaded and the DM found them
Old 09-23-2005, 09:18 AM   #9
nutsnbolts
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hmm...thanks dawg.

I'm going to try and do it again. See if my DM finds the files. I could have sworn I tried moving the files elsewhere and when I clicked on Application Loader, it disappeared and appeared respectively depending whether I had the files extracted on the desktop or elsewhere.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:46 AM   #10
nutsnbolts
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well well, I tried both ways and still when I click on Application manager it's not detecting the installed software. When I click next, it's asking me to remove the files that is unrecognized. I have moved the folders back and forth, reloaded the software, changed the settings...wow...this is giving me a headache.
Closed Thread