Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 10:33 AM   #361
Germerican
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: 2464189E
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I did get rid of some additonal apps.

I deleted all the messengers and installed JiveTalk/BeeJive instead. I also got rid of sudoko and avantgo as I rarely use these two anyway. I could probably delete the help app and brickbreaker as well.

After deleting all these apps I was at around 16MB. By the way... I have a 2GB media card and no pictures on the device.

Another question... with the new OS I also installed the German language pack. How much memory would that eat up?

Stewie Griffin (Family Guy)
Old 07-23-2008, 10:35 AM   #362
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Languages do use up extra memory. Not sure exactly. You'd have to look in the application loader. You can also check database sizes by going to Options >Status >menu key >database sizes.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:50 AM   #363
lwong

Model: 9700

Actually, we figured out a workaround. Here's what's happening:

The Google Maps ALX file checks the version of your BlackBerry OS so that it can install the appropriate version of Google Maps.

The problem is that the three different versions of Google Maps all have the same internal name and so the BES is unable to differentiate between the three different versions. Renaming the file makes no difference as the name is internal.

Two workarounds:

1. If you're only trying to deploy to one of the three BlackBerry OSes, delete the two other directories (e.g. BlackBerry-40).

2. Create three different shares, putting one version in each share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
The Google Maps issue is a known issue if you are on a BES AND have an Application Control Policy on your account on the BES. There is no workaround as of yet without removing you from the Application Control Policy.

You can download and install an older version of Google Maps:

HTML Code:
http://www.google.com/gmm/apps/v1.6.4/L1/gmaps-BlackBerry-8320_v4_2_L1.jad?make=BlackBerry&model=8320%20v4%202&ver=v1.6.4&dc=Web_exp02
The link is case sensitive.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:54 AM   #364
John Clark
BBF Moderator

But this is something that the BES admin has to do. If you have an open application control policy (like I do) I can add any 3rd party apps I want to except Google Maps 2.0 and higer. There is no way to install it on my end.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:19 AM   #365
NAZology

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A

Is anyone having issues with voicenotes in Blackberry Messenger? I can receive them from others but when I record my own and go to send, it is a blank message. Any fix to this? I tried scrolling this thread but couldn't really find any voice note issues in BBM.

Also, if I try to record a voice note simply by Media >Voice Notes. Same thing. Nothing gets recorded.

Good looking out whoever can help.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:40 PM   #366
grinella

Carrier: tmobile

Quote:
The Google Maps issue is a known issue if you are on a BES AND have an Application Control Policy on your account on the BES. There is no workaround as of yet without removing you from the Application Control Policy.
This is probably the problem. Where in the BES can I check to see if there is an Application Control Policy on my account?

Thank you.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:53 PM   #367
John Clark
BBF Moderator

You can't check. You'd have to talk to your BES Admin about it.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:00 PM   #368
grinella

Quote:
You can't check. You'd have to talk to your BES Admin about it.
I was the bes admin years ago in the 3.x versions. Our current BES admin doesn't know, and the interface is substantially different then when I used to use it.

Is the setting located somewhere in the IT Policy?
Old 07-23-2008, 01:03 PM   #369
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Honestly, I have no idea. I'm not a BES Admin.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:16 PM   #370
grinella

Ok, I found it. You need to highlight the group in the left pane and click the group config tab in the right. Then expand the device management menu and select Assign Software Configuration. I chose <none> and google maps started working! Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

As of last night (before today's change), a new problem started for me with this version though... Whenever I try to open the blackberry browser, I get an error that says "Uncaught exception; invisible node cannot be made current."

I am going to try to reinstall and see if it goes away.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:47 PM   #371
Germerican

Something else I noticed. I'm sure this has come up before but I was unable to find anything about it.

Before upgrading to 4.5. whenever I would delete an email from my device I had the option to delete that particular email just from my device or from the server. Actually, I can't remember if it said "delete from server" but it would place that email in my trash folder on the server. (My tmo.blackberry.net account was an exception of course.)

When I delete an email now, all I can do is delete that email from my device but it will still remain in my inbox on the server.

Is this a setting that I can enable or disable or is this how it's going to be from now on?

Old 07-23-2008, 02:51 PM   #372
Cryptik13

Carrier: t-mobile

Hey guys, Im kind of freakin out here. I installed the new OS last night and everything seemed fine until just now at work. My phone is continuously resetting. I tried doing a battery pull a few times, but no luck. As soon as the phone boots up and connects to EDGE, it resets again. Is this a known issue? If so what can I do to fix it?
Old 07-23-2008, 03:42 PM   #373
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptik13 View Post
Hey guys, Im kind of freakin out here. I installed the new OS last night and everything seemed fine until just now at work. My phone is continuously resetting. I tried doing a battery pull a few times, but no luck. As soon as the phone boots up and connects to EDGE, it resets again. Is this a known issue? If so what can I do to fix it?
Not a known issue... EXCEPT if you have a Media Card in your BB, which was formerly formatted under OS 4.2
Do you?

Read this: http://www.blackberryforums.com/medi...t-reboots.html
Old 07-23-2008, 03:44 PM   #374
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germerican View Post
When I delete an email now, all I can do is delete that email from my device but it will still remain in my inbox on the server.

Is this a setting that I can enable or disable or is this how it's going to be from now on?
Messages > Options > Email Reconcile. Choose your settings for each email address.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:44 PM   #375
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germerican View Post
Something else I noticed. I'm sure this has come up before but I was unable to find anything about it.

Before upgrading to 4.5. whenever I would delete an email from my device I had the option to delete that particular email just from my device or from the server. Actually, I can't remember if it said "delete from server" but it would place that email in my trash folder on the server. (My tmo.blackberry.net account was an exception of course.)

Open one of the email in question. Scroll up into the headers. Does it say "Recieved Using: Unknown?" If so, resend your service books. If it says "Recieved Using: your email address" then you need to go in to Messages >Options >Email Reconciliation and set it to "Prompt" for the account in question.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:48 PM   #376
Cryptik13

Carrier: t-mobile

Yepp, you got it. Took out the media card and she's back to normal. Thanks a ton!

So, is there anything I can do with my media card that wouldn't result in me losing all my data on it?

**scratch that, read the link you supplied.**

Thanks alot man, you're a life saver!

Last edited by Cryptik13; 07-23-2008 at 03:50 PM..
Old 07-23-2008, 04:00 PM   #377
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptik13 View Post

**scratch that, read the link you supplied.**
HEY, you are getting good at this game!
Old 07-23-2008, 06:03 PM   #378
Germerican

Thanks to both you JC and JS! It's true... you learn something new every day!

Old 07-23-2008, 08:39 PM   #379
thecelt1974

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinella View Post
This is probably the problem. Where in the BES can I check to see if there is an Application Control Policy on my account?

Thank you.

Sorry... I'm on BIS. I should of mentioned that.

Last edited by thecelt1974; 07-23-2008 at 08:51 PM..
Old 07-23-2008, 11:33 PM   #380
LoveMaBB007

Default Docs To Go...

JC,

Thanks man I was able to install the Sheet to Go function onto my 8320. I was also able to install the Verizon them but I got two more questions. Whenever I connect my phone and open DM, all the apps I have are displayed in the app loader but the Docs to Go displays an older version than I currently have. My options are to leave it checked (then the app says downgrade) if i remove the check box it says remove in the app loader application. If I connect my phone how can I have it leave the current (which right now is the newest) version of Docs to go? Also, i really like icon themes, does anyone know what I can do to get the Verizon Icons be active all the time. Right now I have to press the multiple dots button to display all icons, is this even possible?

Thanks in advance everybody.
Closed Thread