Old 07-11-2008, 05:45 PM   #1
shakfu

Model: Pearl
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Carrier
Default HTML Email on BES 4.1 SP5 / BB OS 4.5 issue

Please Login to Remove!

Hi All,

Enabled HTML email on my BES box via jibi's post, and resent the service books to my handheld. HTML mail is now readable, but images do not load.

Selecting "Get Images", or highlighting a single image and selecting "Get Image" generates TX/RX on the handheld, but nothing occurs. On occasion, this causes the message to be marked as unread, but only on the handheld.

I have rebooted the BES box, and the handheld, but no change.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

BES - 4.1 SP5 (Exchange)
BB OS 4.5.0.46 (8100)
Old 07-12-2008, 07:09 AM   #2
ashworth
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

does it happen to all HTML emails or only large body ones?

My BlackBerry GPS Golf Application | Mileage Calculator
Old 07-13-2008, 06:16 PM   #3
shakfu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashworth View Post
does it happen to all HTML emails or only large body ones?
Hi Ashworth,

Thanks for the reply.

It seems to happen to any email with remote images, regardless of the size of the images or html email size. As a test, I went to a website site to select a small jpg, and downloaded it. I then composed an html email to myself with that jpg as an inline image, and sent it. For this email, when I select 'get images', the image appears on the handheld.

I then created a second email, and included a href to the remote image, and sent it. This image will not appear when selecting 'get images'. Interestingly enough, if i look at the corresponding BES logs when attempting to download remote images on the handheld, I find this in the DISP BES log on the BES server that services my mailbox:

<< [34127] (07/13 13:32:04.718):{0x8D8} {BB Username} Unsupported content type=IPPP, Tag=7140903 >>

The DISP logs shows requests/data being sent, and not the above message when downloading a local inline image.

The plot thickens. . .
Old 07-13-2008, 08:15 PM   #4
Ramsy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakfu View Post
Hi All,

Enabled HTML email on my BES box via jibi's post, and resent the service books to my handheld. HTML mail is now readable, but images do not load.

Selecting "Get Images", or highlighting a single image and selecting "Get Image" generates TX/RX on the handheld, but nothing occurs. On occasion, this causes the message to be marked as unread, but only on the handheld.

I have rebooted the BES box, and the handheld, but no change.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

BES - 4.1 SP5 (Exchange)
BB OS 4.5.0.46 (8100)
Is your Blackberry connected to any other account besides the BES account? I had the same exact problem as you and was able to solve it, but my situation was probably pretty unique.

Here is my situation and how I solved it. My Blackberry is tied to (1) a BES and (2) a completely separate email account via Blackberry's desktop redirector. The desktop redirector is considered an "enterprise activation." So, on my Blackberry, if I click on "enterprise activation," it shows the date my BB was activated on the two different servers. However, what this does is it causes the same service books for each activation to be sent to my Blackberry. So, I have same services books for something called "Desktop," which is my BES account, and something called "Work," which is my desktop redirector account.

By removing the desktop redirector service book for Mobile Data Services (on my BB, this is listed as "Work [IPPP]" (removing this service book will automatically remove the "Work [BrowersConfig]" service book), my problem of no images loading in HTML was fixed.

What I believe was happening was that my BB was trying to load the HTML image data through my Work account, which has no enterprise internet access. So, I would see the arrows on my BB showing data coming in and out, but no images would ever load. By removing that service book, the BB uses the right enterprise internet connection to retrieve the image data.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:48 PM   #5
shakfu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsy View Post

By removing the desktop redirector service book for Mobile Data Services (on my BB, this is listed as "Work [IPPP]" (removing this service book will automatically remove the "Work [BrowersConfig]" service book), my problem of no images loading in HTML was fixed.

What I believe was happening was that my BB was trying to load the HTML image data through my Work account, which has no enterprise internet access. So, I would see the arrows on my BB showing data coming in and out, but no images would ever load. By removing that service book, the BB uses the right enterprise internet connection to retrieve the image data.
Ramsy - Awesome, Thanks! That did it. Name your poison, and it's on its way!
Old 07-13-2008, 08:52 PM   #6
ashworth
CrackBerry Addict

That sounds like a bug... should see if you can reproduce the issue when RIM supports HTML emails. I bet a lot of ppl are going to see this issue, and it would be nice if it was fixed sooner then later..

Old 07-13-2008, 10:14 PM   #7
shakfu

Good point Ashworth.

Perhaps there will be an additional option forthcoming in 4.1 SP6 that allows specification of which 'Browser' should be used to download images within HTML emails. This may be tricky, esp since corps likely send HTML emails that refer to internal sites only.

But I digress. . .

I do not need the "Work [IPPP]" and corresponding Browser Config service books. The MDS Connection/Integration services are installed on this BES server, but we do not route any traffic through it. Can I remove it from this BES server? Will that ensure that these service books will not be sent to handhelds associated with this BES server?

Or am I asking for trouble?

Last edited by shakfu; 07-13-2008 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: typos
Old 07-13-2008, 11:57 PM   #8
Ramsy

Quote:
Ramsy - Awesome, Thanks! That did it. Name your poison, and it's on its way!
Glad I could help. It took me a few weeks to run this "bug" down, so I am glad someone else can benefit from this also.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:02 AM   #9
Ramsy

Quote:
Good point Ashworth.

I do not need the "Work [IPPP]" and corresponding Browser Config service books. The MDS Connection/Integration services are installed on this BES server, but we do not route any traffic through it. Can I remove it from this BES server? Will that ensure that these service books will not be sent to handhelds associated with this BES server?

Or am I asking for trouble?
Personally, I would leave it alone. First, I don't think removing the MDS Connection/Integration services will prevent these service books from being reinstalled when you do your next enterprise activation. Plus, since you know which service books you need to delete now to fix this "bug," I would recommend just sticking to this "fix" for now. No need to potentially cause any other issues.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:37 PM   #10
shakfu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsy View Post
Personally, I would leave it alone. First, I don't think removing the MDS Connection/Integration services will prevent these service books from being reinstalled when you do your next enterprise activation.
Perhaps a better question would be:

How does one configure a specific user/handheld to not use MDS, and instead route all internet traffic via the carrier's internet connection? Is this possible via IT Policy settings?

Last edited by shakfu; 07-14-2008 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 07-15-2008, 07:11 PM   #11
shakfu

Just to clarify, what I am wondering about is during BES installation, is there any way to keep MDS components from installing?

And if no MDS components are installed, will the Desktop [IPPP] and Desktop [BrowserConfig] service books be sent to HH associated with this BES instance?
Old 07-16-2008, 06:57 PM   #12
ashworth
CrackBerry Addict

No the MDS-CS is a required compent for the BES. It is always installed.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:49 PM   #13
shakfu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashworth View Post
No the MDS-CS is a required compent for the BES. It is always installed.
Thx Ash - so no way to edit/modify the associated service books to route internet requests via carrier internet?
Old 07-16-2008, 08:43 PM   #14
ashworth
CrackBerry Addict

You can set the default broswer on the handheld to use the carrier service books, but I dont think it can done at the server level. (would need to take a look at a BES and not at work)

Closed Thread