BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 04:48 PM   #1
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Wireless Sync of Address Book (almost)...

Please Login to Remove!

As I explore the innards of 4.5.0.52 I keep discovering nice little tidbits that show where the future might be...

Of course others have already found the reference to Wireless Software Update in this release. I tried it, and of course it's "not available" just yet. My guess is that, once they have the update servers ready, they will have to push new service books to support this.

Anyway - just found something else that I hadn't heard about before: Try going into you4 4.5.0.52 Address Book, press the Menu button and select Options. You will see "General Options" and "Address Books", with the entry "Default" under that. Now - when you click on "Default", the next screen shows:

Wireless Synchronization: Not Available

Aha! Looks to me like RIM plans to make wireless address book sync a reality with the upcoming official "next geneation" OS release when it goes into production (and we've seen indications that this might even be something like 5.x.x rather than 4.5.x). Of course this doesn't work yet - probably also needs a service book push. Whatever they plan to call it, this looks very encouraging to me!

- Jon

EDIT: ...and of course the next experiment was to see if this exists in the Calendar as well -- and it DOES! You must go into Calendar options, then actually select a calendar by clicking on the associated email address - then select "Options" again. You will see an "Wireless Synchronization" item here as well!!!

YAY! Looks to me like we're going to have wireless sync of calendar and address book quite possibly with a not-too-distant release.

Last edited by vinmontRD; 07-09-2008 at 04:51 PM..
Old 07-09-2008, 05:04 PM   #2
Ramsy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Wireless sync of the address book and the calendar works for me now with a desktop redirector connection and OS 4.5. I was presently surprised to have these features the first time I loaded a beta of OS 4.5.

Last edited by Ramsy; 07-09-2008 at 05:05 PM..
Old 07-09-2008, 05:07 PM   #3
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

This has been there before. When you have a BES these can be turned to YES rather than NO
Old 07-09-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
Ramsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
This has been there before. When you have a BES these can be turned to YES rather than NO
With a BES, yes I have always had the ability to wirelessly sync my address book and calendar.

However, I also have another account tied to my BB through a desktop redirector. With OS 4.2, I was only able to wirelessly sync emails. Now with OS 4.5, I can wirelessly sync this other accounts address book and calendar. If this was available in OS 4.2, I completely missed it.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:15 PM   #5
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

I should have clarified, my apologies. I actually was directing my comment to the OP. I was not aware that with 4.5 you can wirelessly sync calendar/address book content. It would seem that redirector would need an update as well. Did you install Unite! or BPS?
Old 07-09-2008, 05:19 PM   #6
Ramsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
I should have clarified, my apologies. I actually was directing my comment to the OP. I was not aware that with 4.5 you can wirelessly sync calendar/address book content. It would seem that redirector would need an update as well. Did you install Unite! or BPS?
I did update to Desktop Manager 4.5. However, the desktop redirector that runs as a result of this upgrade is still version 3.6.0.68 with a copyright date of 2006. I did not install Unite! or any other RIM software.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:20 PM   #7
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Yup -- been in BES environments before, but didn't realize these options were switchable on the hand-held device -- thought it was all controlled via policy from the server.

Intrigued about the desktop redirector. Will have to pursue this. Have been using Google Sync at the office to keep google calendar (google apps premier) in sync with Blackberry, and plug the blackberry in (USB) at home, so the three devices at least keep their calendars in sync. BIS keeps emails in sync. This has been "ok" for a non-BES environment, but clearly limited. I had been considering Funambol, but if we're possibly getting OTA sync via Blackberry native BIS services (or desktop redirector) that would be great.

- Jon
Old 07-09-2008, 05:21 PM   #8
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Since BES/Redirector use the same service book structure it may have been something as simple as 4.5 accepting new service books. It is very good to know that though, thank you.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:31 PM   #9
Ramsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmontRD View Post
Intrigued about the desktop redirector. Will have to pursue this. Have been using Google Sync at the office to keep google calendar (google apps premier) in sync with Blackberry, and plug the blackberry in (USB) at home, so the three devices at least keep their calendars in sync. BIS keeps emails in sync. This has been "ok" for a non-BES environment, but clearly limited. I had been considering Funambol, but if we're possibly getting OTA sync via Blackberry native BIS services (or desktop redirector) that would be great.

- Jon
With OS 4.2, this is basically how I synced my calendar for my non-BES account too - using Google sync on a PC and the applet for the BB and a Gmail account.

Then when I loaded OS 4.5 and started seeing that I had redundant calendar entries, I was like what is going on. That is when I found out that my desktop redirector had started wirelessly syncing my calendar entries. To top it off, the BB automatically color codes the calendar entries from different accounts. So, calendar entries from each account are in different colors and do not get cross-synced back to the other account.
Closed Thread