Old 06-18-2008, 10:01 AM   #1
exsterminator
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Greenfinder Golf app - for GPS-equipped units

Please Login to Remove!

I'm a keen golfer and had been strongly considering buying one of the GPS distance aids, like Sky Caddie, to take with me on the course. I began looking around for a golf app that would work on my 8800 since it has the built-in GPS unit and I came across Greenfinder by Itinerant Software:

GreenFinder - golf course GPS rangefinder

They offer 5 free downloads to test out the software before committing to buying it, an annual fee of $35CAD per year. The course I most often play at wasn't mapped so I sent them an e-mail and about 4 days later it had been mapped. I went out to play last weekend and these are my thoughts:

1) Easy to install, easy to navigate through, downloaded course in about 20 seconds
2) I had full signal strength my entire round
3) Battery went from 85% pre-round to 70% post-round (about 5 hrs)
4) Yardage was very accurate. I compared to sprinkler heads and tee box markers on several holes and any difference was usually only 1-3 yards.
5) They mark most hazards - bunkers, lakes - but only greenside bunkers that extend beyond several yards from the green. Woule like to see a slight improvement on this aspect.

Overall, I was hugely impressed. To be able to take advantage of the built-in GPS unit on the phone, still be able to use the phone as a phone and e-mail while using the software . . . . saved myself over $300 that I would have spent buying a Sky Caddie or the like. I would encourage avid golfers to give them a look and at least take advantage of the 5 free trial rounds.

BTW, I AM IN NOW WAY AFFILIATED WITH THE COMPANY, JUST IMPRESSED WITH THE PRODUCT THEY HAVE CREATED!!!
Old 07-09-2008, 10:36 AM   #2
exsterminator
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800

Has anyone else tried this out yet? Thoughts? I am 3 rounds into my 5 free demo rounds and have been really impressed.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:59 PM   #3
alox
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
Carrier: Bell Mobility (Canada)

I have not tried it, but if it works as advertised, that is a VERY cool concept. Could be applied to lots of things, including distance hiked or cycled, etc.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:33 PM   #4
daward
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

I was so impressed after my first 3 free course downloads, that I purchased it. For CAD$35.00 it was a bargain as compared to the stand alone units. The group of guys I play with are now upset they paid $400 plus for theirs. The color is very good and very easy to read in the sunlight. Not as many distances to hazards as I would like to see, but that is not a big issue. In future releases I'd like to see a cursor that allows you to put it approx where the pin is on the green (left center, right back etc). Currently you only get front, middle and back of the green. I enjoy using it and now I just have to remember that I have it and to use it. I guess playing 50 years without an aid such as this you have certain habits that need to be broken.
Closed Thread