BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 01:28 AM   #1
ycomp
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: kyivstar (no blackberry plan available)
Default what services work without Blackberry data subscription?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I have a Blackberry Pearl originally from Rogers. But I'm not in Canada anymore. And there are no Blackberry providers here. I was wondering what services will or won't work with an EDGE / GPRS connection?

Will email work? Web Browsing?

thanks.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:31 AM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Push email will not work. Web browsing with the OEM browser will not work. You will not be able to download applications over-the-air.

You can install Opera Mini and use it to browse the web but it won't download applications.

You can use most 3rd party apps that require data. In order to do this you'll need the TCP/APN settings for the carrier you are using.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:59 AM   #3
ycomp
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: kyivstar (no blackberry plan available)

thanks... I bought another phone Sony Ericcson w880i, but I didn't realize how good the Pearl was (for SMS) until I started to use another phone. Now I want to go back to the Pearl, it is great for SMS... pity there is no blackberry data service available here.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:53 AM   #4
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycomp View Post
thanks... I bought another phone Sony Ericcson w880i, but I didn't realize how good the Pearl was (for SMS) until I started to use another phone. Now I want to go back to the Pearl, it is great for SMS... pity there is no blackberry data service available here.
Make sure you get your 8100 unlocked, since Rogers 8100's typically come locked to Rogers. Remember to call Rogers to get the PIN and your old @blackberry.net address permanently removed from their records (don't tell them you're switching to another carrier)
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 09-21-2007, 11:57 AM   #5
zaveed
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: N/A

Hi John,

have some questiosn for you

"You can install Opera Mini and use it to browse the web but it won't download applications."

Do you mean to say that if you have the GPRS activated on the SIM ,it should work with th Opera Mini Browser?

If it is then can you let me know what are the settings for it and do we need to change them?

Thanks
Zaveed
Old 09-21-2007, 11:58 AM   #6
John Clark
BBF Moderator

That's correct, with the proper APN settings for your carrier.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:12 PM   #7
zaveed

Hi

I have the APN setting for my carrier,thats the only setting which i need to enter in the BB or do i need any more info from my carrier and also Would i be able to use the messenger ?

Service Provider also gave me the IP address and the homepage.

I checked all the menus but i do not see where i need to enter these settings.

Thanks for the help

Zaveed

Last edited by zaveed; 09-21-2007 at 12:57 PM..
Old 09-22-2007, 06:54 PM   #8
zaveed

Hi John
Thanks for all the help. I can browse now with the gprs connection on my BB.
I was planning to sell this and get another phone as I thought I can browse only if the data Service is there.
I am Moe than happy with my BB now.

Thanks A lot for all the help.
Zaveed
Old 09-22-2007, 07:00 PM   #9
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Wirelessly posted (BB 8860: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaveed
Hi John
Thanks for all the help. I can browse now with the gprs connection on my BB.
I was planning to sell this and get another phone as I thought I can browse only if the data Service is there.
I am Moe than happy with my BB now.

Thanks A lot for all the help.
Zaveed
Happy to hear you had success!
Old 09-23-2007, 04:12 AM   #10
zaveed

I have a new priblem with the opera mini.I have the gprs enabled and can browse but when ever I try to download a image or a file from opera mini it says that it will invoke the browser,when I click on yes it gives me an error that there is. No dedilt configuration for the browser.
Zaveed
Old 09-23-2007, 04:22 PM   #11
BBFreak
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: If you knew me you would have it!
Carrier: T-Mobile

That's what he meant by not being able to download with the Opera browser. You can view sites and stuff but when you try to download it involkes (sp?) the BB browser.

Looking to buy or sale used car audio?
www.caraudioclassifieds.org
Old 09-23-2007, 04:46 PM   #12
John Clark
BBF Moderator

It used to not even do anything. Now, with Opera 4 it invokes the bb browser. That's a new feature with v4. No data plan, no OTA download.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:41 PM   #13
zaveed

As John said that you cannot download the applications,I thought its only applicable when you try to install anything OTA.
My bad I should have looked closer.
Thanks for the clarification guys.
This is the best site for the BB help. If this was not there I bet that it would be difficult for a new BB users like me.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK guys.

Zaveed
Old 09-23-2007, 11:10 PM   #14
silimtao
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT
Default Confused- data plan, or no data plan, but get email & Browse Internet

I've read numerous threads about the ability to browse the internet and obtaining email w/out a data plan, and I'm still not certain. OK, tell me if this is possible, assuming I have no data plan:

I can install Opera mini and surf the 'net, but can't install anything OTA, correct? I'm assuming I can install any 3rd party apps using DM; please correct me if I'm wrong.

I can get my gmail if I install gmail mobile?

I wont get charged for air-time, if I use the above 2?

The main reason I bought the Pearl, was because I wanted/needed a compact PIM, with mp3 playback- the other bonuses like video playback I discovered here, among other cool tips and tricks.

DOH! I thought I was starting a new thread w/out realizing I was posting right w/in this one. I'd been searching for the thread in the general Pearl 8100 threads that discussed my questions, but just can't seem to find it. OK, I'm a dope. But if possible, just tell me if I'm able to do what I'd like.

Having email wasn't wasn't a must for me (but am quickly learning it's been a life saver), but I was basically snowed by ATT into getting this phone with a data plan- I started out as a corporate customer of Cingular, but ever since ATT took over, they've continuously reneged on their "benefits" accorded to corporate customers. 45% off on any "device" as they call it, and they continually redefine what a "device" is; it's an "accessory" when I want to buy say, headphones, so, no discount on headphones. Then when I wanted to buy the Pearl @ a 45% discount, the PHONE suddenly became an ACCESSORY!. Despite the fact this was all worked out as early as 4 months ago, when a very helpful customer rep called my local corporate ATT/Cingular store and explained my rights as a corp. customer, and it was entered in my profile that I was to have a 45% discount on any PHONE at any time was I able to buy 2 new phones.

I know I'm ranting here, but the Pearl met all my needs so I could unload my Palm and mp3 player. I was "allowed" to purchase the Pearl at a discount only if I extended my contract another 2 years, AND purchase a data plan at the same time. I believe I can cancel my data plan after the first billing cycle. My only other option was to pay full retail price, which I absolutely refused to do, so after hrs. on the phone with ATT, they wore me down, and I relented.

So, If I'm able to get my email (I've become accustomed to getting it now when I'm out,), and surf a bit without breaking any laws, I'd be happy to stick it to ATT. Sorry for the lengthy rant, but would appreciate it if anyone can clarify this for me. TIA!

Oh, if you're interested in what I get for my $29.95 data plan, here's what I get:

100 sms txt messages (I don't text much; it would cost me 10 cents/txt w/out plan. About the only time I text is to my daughter ("get your butt home NOW!")

unlimited 'net

unlimited email, and, of course, the blackberry.net address.

After all the taxes, the cost is closer to $40+. Really an extravagance for me.

Aside from the possibility of being able to get email and 'net w/out charge, are there any downsides to not having the data plan? Again, sorry for the long post, especially if it's been asked already; I did use the search function here, and I was getting hits for what I'm asking as it applied to other models- I don't want to assume it to be true for the Pearl.

SORRY!

Last edited by silimtao; 09-23-2007 at 11:23 PM.. Reason: redundant!
Closed Thread