Old 08-27-2007, 12:39 AM   #1
ilans1
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: att
Unhappy Annoying loss of data connection

Please Login to Remove!

I've searched everywhere and am quite surprised nobody has experienced this problem, so here it is: The BB browser on my 8800, at what seems like random intervals, loses its ability to send and receive data, and the only way to fix it is by doing a battery pull. When this happens, I try going to any website, yet I dont see any transmit/receive arrows on the top right as would appear when data flows. The browser simply doesnt attempt to send any request. Im running the latest AT&T version 4.2.1.139. Ive called AT&T support, yet they have no clue. I was told it was possible to be transferred directly to RIM support, but the rep said she did not know how to do it. Has anyone here been able to talk to RIM directly, and if so, how?
Old 08-27-2007, 12:44 AM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

I would suggest a software upgrade. The sticky thread is at the top of the 8800 forum and I've linked it below. The latest OS right now was released by Vodafone but they're all the same. You'll notice no difference except the upgraded version. It's possible this bug was fixed in this version but AT&T hasn't released it yet.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...-vodafone.html
Old 11-11-2007, 11:31 PM   #3
mat123

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

(My search was for "data connection loss")

I'm having the same issue with my Verizon 8830... It worked like a champ for the first two weeks then it started losing its data connection at random. No email, no Blackberry messenger, no web, nothing. Its not the network, my friends at work have no problems getting on the web while mine says no data connection available. This problem follows me all over town. I also noticed a couple random "reboots" -- about one every other day. This happens regardless of me browsing or letting the phone sit idle. My indicators will switch from "1X" or "1XEV" to "1x" or "1xev". Phone calls are not affected. Oh, one other little side effect seems to be the battery wears out much faster than the initial first two weeks. I could easily go 2 days with average usage. Now I'm lucky if I make it to the end of the day on one charge.

I tried "Turn all connections off" and turning them back on; with no luck. Only way to fix it is a battery pull -- then it works again... This is my first Blackberry -- How often do you usually have to do a battery pull to keep the Blackberry functioning properly? I'm up to twice a day.

My OS version is: v4.2.2.148. Is that the latest?

The Verizon CSR said I may just want to bring it in and switch it out with another 8830 since I'm still within my "30 day worry free guarentee."

If I do the switch out, does "backing up" the blackberry through the desktop manager allow me to re-import all my contacts (along with photos that are part of the contact info). Emails too?

I would also assume that just before I hand over the "broken" Blackberry at the store I would do a "wipe handheld"?

Need some advice... Thanks!

Last edited by mat123; 11-11-2007 at 11:57 PM..
Old 11-12-2007, 12:12 AM   #4
Keyscan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilans1 View Post
I've searched everywhere and am quite surprised nobody has experienced this problem, so here it is: The BB browser on my 8800, at what seems like random intervals, loses its ability to send and receive data, and the only way to fix it is by doing a battery pull. When this happens, I try going to any website, yet I dont see any transmit/receive arrows on the top right as would appear when data flows. The browser simply doesnt attempt to send any request. Im running the latest AT&T version 4.2.1.139. Ive called AT&T support, yet they have no clue. I was told it was possible to be transferred directly to RIM support, but the rep said she did not know how to do it. Has anyone here been able to talk to RIM directly, and if so, how?
Outside of an application software load, RIM will not do much for you with your situation. If the BlackBerry has the updated software and it is unable to maintain a data connection, it is either your network coverage to the closest tower or a defective BlackBerry.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:57 AM   #5
mat123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyscan View Post
Outside of an application software load, RIM will not do much for you with your situation. If the BlackBerry has the updated software and it is unable to maintain a data connection, it is either your network coverage to the closest tower or a defective BlackBerry.
Well, I don't think its the network... Like I said, my friends have excellent connections while sitting next to me, the problem happens no matter where I go, and when I do the battery pull, the connection works perfectly again.

So if I exchange it:
1) Are my contacts protected if I backed them up in the desktop manager?
2) Will "wipe handheld" clear off all my personal data (contacts, emails, appointments, tasks, browsing histories, ect)?

TIA!
Old 11-16-2007, 08:18 AM   #6
sy32478

Model: 9930

I am also suffering the same issue. It is being discussed here:

Losing EVDO connection - PinStack.com

Also there is one report of replacement phones having the same problem and the upgrade to the TelUS newer OS not fixing the problem either.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:40 PM   #7
CBR900RR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: Tmobile

Similar on my 8700 and 8800 too, it show upper case EDGE on the phone but no data transmission, looks like I have good solid connection to tmobile but problem from tmobile to blackberry end.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:38 PM   #8
mat123

I'm pretty sure its Opera Mini 4. I've stopped using it for the last week and have no issues. As a test, I tried using Opera Mini and within an hour I had to do the battery pull.

Too bad, Opera is a much nicer browser than the blackberry one...

Anyone else notice this with Opera?
Old 11-17-2007, 05:38 PM   #9
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat123 View Post
I'm pretty sure its Opera Mini 4. I've stopped using it for the last week and have no issues. As a test, I tried using Opera Mini and within an hour I had to do the battery pull.

Too bad, Opera is a much nicer browser than the blackberry one...

Anyone else notice this with Opera?
I am having the same exact problem and agree that the OPERA was aggravating other apps including my e-mail. No more battery pulls now. My hope is that they will find a workaround or improve future versions.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:31 PM   #10
AndrewAZ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy32478 View Post
I am also suffering the same issue. It is being discussed here:

Losing EVDO connection - PinStack.com

Also there is one report of replacement phones having the same problem and the upgrade to the TelUS newer OS not fixing the problem either.
Tried the update on that page.. Sprint had one listed also.. 4 hours after doing it I had the same issue again... Connected to sprints network running EVDO surfing one second then bam the "your in an area with no data" message and connection manager says Sprint network no data... Waited about 5 mins and it stayed the same.. Turned off network turned it back on and problem fixed for now.... But it will come back..
Old 11-18-2007, 02:53 AM   #11
AndrewAZ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Just a tip.. Dont upgrade using the sprint site.. After I did that I have never had this data disconnect issue so many times. And I did a full fresh wipe of the phone for the upgrade.. Just today it has happened 4 times. Form using the browser to using sprint navigator.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:42 PM   #12
attweco

Carrier: Cingular

You have described a problem which we have had since week one. We've been through three 8800's, which has not resolved that problem(or any of the other shortcomings of the 8800).

BTW, we had Opera Mini installed only briefly(just long enough to discover that it offered no benefits to us, then I uninstalled it), so that definitely wasn't the cause, in our case.

In the end, Tech Support told us to try the battery pull and, if that didn't resolve it, then it was an overloaded tower and to try using it, some other time.

In my experience, the battery pull works about 50 percent of the time. In the other cases, I simply don't use any of the data features for anywhere from 2-6 hours, and the data access restores, all by itself.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:14 AM   #13
AndrewAZ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by attweco View Post
You have described a problem which we have had since week one. We've been through three 8800's, which has not resolved that problem(or any of the other shortcomings of the 8800).

BTW, we had Opera Mini installed only briefly(just long enough to discover that it offered no benefits to us, then I uninstalled it), so that definitely wasn't the cause, in our case.

In the end, Tech Support told us to try the battery pull and, if that didn't resolve it, then it was an overloaded tower and to try using it, some other time.

In my experience, the battery pull works about 50 percent of the time. In the other cases, I simply don't use any of the data features for anywhere from 2-6 hours, and the data access restores, all by itself.

Dont need a battery pull to fix it I can fix it quickly by turning the radio on and off....

But thats a load of bull about the tower.. I have had it happen at 2 or 3 am in the morning and I live in a low density residential area with a cell tower less than 1/4 mile away, even my treo 700 and 755 never had this issue.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:49 PM   #14
attweco

Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ View Post
Dont need a battery pull to fix it I can fix it quickly by turning the radio on and off....
That was a suggestion which was offered in a previous thread on this topic, some time ago. We tried it, but it didn't resolve the issue, in our case.

I think that the fact that there seems to be multiple fixes suggests the possiblity that this is not a single problem, but rather, a constellation of problems which share the same symptoms.

In the case of our business usage of the 8800, we are not dependent upon the data connection for our priority needs. So, if the battery pull doesn't solve the problem, then we know the problem will resolve all by itself, in a few hours.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:17 AM   #15
aviraled2002
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530
Carrier: Spwint

I too have this problem. I have two phones, my wifes and mine. I have opera installed on mine but not on hers. I have the Sprint 8830, The battery pull works, but it does get annoying!!! I also do provisioning to make sure that my blackberry is connected to the BIS...tools, network, menu, provisioning, that seems to work too..I hope someone comes up with an idea of what is going on. I do not think it is a blackberry problem since there are many us with the same problem. CAN ANYONE PLEASE ENLIGHTEN US!!
Old 11-21-2007, 10:37 AM   #16
sy32478

Model: 9930

Same issue with the Sprint 8830.

I did upgrade the OS from the Sprint site and have seen an improvement.

One other way of getting your signal back -

1. Click the green phone button,
2. Dial *18
3. Go back to browser or other app - the connection will be restored.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:49 AM   #17
aviraled2002
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530
Carrier: Spwint

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy32478 View Post
Same issue with the Sprint 8830.

I did upgrade the OS from the Sprint site and have seen an improvement.

One other way of getting your signal back -

1. Click the green phone button,
2. Dial *18
3. Go back to browser or other app - the connection will be restored.

what does *18 do? anyone know?
Old 11-22-2007, 03:42 AM   #18
AndrewAZ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraled2002 View Post
what does *18 do? anyone know?
I think it just reconnects you to the nearest tower.. I think it works on every sprint phone.. I remember my treo could do this also.

My guess on the data issue is a conflict that the EVDO and the voice radio, I know the treo had somewhat of a conflict that you could only do voice and no data or data and no voice, which is true of EVDO Rev 0 phones but I think the blackberry is trying to overcome this software wise and something is getting messed up. Thats just my theory.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:34 PM   #19
brittonx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

So....

Is RIM looking into this issue? This is the type of problem that large corporations are not likely to put up with. I know of one who just bought a large number of 8830s. They could be seriously unhappy if this is systemic.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:03 PM   #20
SheepDog
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: ask if you need it

I do beleive it is systemic for the 8830 and it does not seem to matter which carrier the phone is using. *18 does fix it for me but it fails again with an hour or less sometimes. It will also come back on it's own sometimes and do that multiple times per hour depending on how far I am from a cell tower.

Sprint told me it isnt their issue! I told them if it happens to their customer (me) it certainly *is* their issue. They said please call Rim.

I have not called Rim yet......
Closed Thread