BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 01:50 PM   #1
bogman
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile UK
Default Sync'ing Two Blackberries with One PC?

Please Login to Remove!

I currently use a Blackberry 8800 for work. I also have a Windows Mobile smartphone for my personal email and other personal stuff. I've been a long term Palm user and have given Windows Mobile a chance in my last three phones - but now that the Curve is out, I think it may be time to switch my personal phone to a Blackberry Curve.

So - the key question before I go out and buy a Curve is: will I be able to still sync my Blackberry 8800 to Lotus Notes (as I do today) and also sync my new Curve to Outlook on the same PC (all my personal stuff is in Outlook)? If not, this will be an issue as I like to have all my personal contacts etc.. on my work PC during the day.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:51 PM   #2
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogman View Post
I currently use a Blackberry 8800 for work. I also have a Windows Mobile smartphone for my personal email and other personal stuff. I've been a long term Palm user and have given Windows Mobile a chance in my last three phones - but now that the Curve is out, I think it may be time to switch my personal phone to a Blackberry Curve.

So - the key question before I go out and buy a Curve is: will I be able to still sync my Blackberry 8800 to Lotus Notes (as I do today) and also sync my new Curve to Outlook on the same PC (all my personal stuff is in Outlook)? If not, this will be an issue as I like to have all my personal contacts etc.. on my work PC during the day.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Depends...

(1) You don't mind exactly the same information in your addressbook/calendar/tasks/notes;
(2) Your work BlackBerry isn't restricted by a BES policy that prevents these steps;

The different information on the different BlackBerries will 'merge', and as you sync back and fourth, changes made on one BlackBerry would propagate to the other - as you sync one, then sync the other... It works for me!

Unfortunately, BES provides a complication (i.e. only syncs with work computer connected to BES server). Make a backup before you attempt this!
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 08-24-2007, 04:02 AM   #3
bogman
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile UK
Default Sync'ing Two Blackberries with One PC?

Hi - thanks for the reply. I really do want to keep my task lists and calendars in particular, seperate on both devices - so it will cause me problems if I can't. I also connect to a BES for my work device - so that will obviously cause further complications?

This is disappointing as I was really looking forward to getting rid of my Windows Mobile Smartphone (and the regular freezing, reboots etc!)

Closed Thread