Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 11:51 AM   #1
kamjam

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Default New to BB; carrier suggestion?

Please Login to Remove!

My wife and I are on Verzion now w/ motos and she needs to switch to BB for work. Personally, I think VZW is just ok but has the best coverage in our fringe EVDO area (and the switching back and forth to 1X-EVDO is a real battery hog). Since getting an IP phone, we no longer need the unltd. after hours calling that VZW and others have so, I'm wondering what peoples' thoughts are on AT&T vs. VZW versus say T-Mobile esp. regarding BB service, support.

Thanks.

Last edited by kamjam; 07-16-2007 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: typos
Old 07-16-2007, 11:54 AM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Tmo is going to give you lowest cost blackberry data plan.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:00 PM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

And since coverage is an issue, you really need to take that into high consideration.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:16 PM   #4
kamjam

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

Thanks for the replies. I do see your point on coverage, j, but we're weighing the importantance of haveing use of cell phones at home w/ free outgoing IP calling, tho.

So, if that is not an primary issue --the phones are bascially for on-road use and there's a nice little benefit to NOT having work always be able to rign you at home-- all things being equal, do either T-mo, AT&t or vzw standout for having stellar support?
Old 07-16-2007, 12:23 PM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

I would go with TMo for cost then, personally, if coverage is not an issue. Even for 'on-road use" coverage should be an issue, but if not...

I have been using TMo and AT&T service BBs side by side (on BIS) for the past 6 weeks now, and I get better coverage with AT&T, as well as higher signals. You can't beat the TMo price, other than when you wish you had a signal.

TMo is said by many on here to have the better support (although I have not noticed that of late, but that is my personal opinion).
Old 07-16-2007, 12:44 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

kamjam, I think a lot of what your asking is really going to depend on you and your expectations. I have friends who left other carriers for Tmo and they think Tmo support is the greatest. But on the board here I see other opinions as well as those who think Tmo support is better than most.

Something you might look at to help make up your mind are the various threads on issues of users not being able to use free software or features of their BB because of something hidden or disabled by or at the direction of the carrier.

On coverage with Tmo, I travel a lot and haven't generally had trouble. But I'm almost always in a developed area or on a major highway. The times I've had reception trouble have actually been around home when I get off on the backroads in rural areas.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:52 PM   #7
Chainring
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
PIN: 20ED0AAB
Carrier: T-Mobile US

I had Cingular for the past three years and generally thought the coverage was pretty decent, especially for the amount of traveling I do and the small towns I visit. Before switching to Tmo I was worried the coverage wouldn't be as good. I was wrong. I've been on drives where my fiancee, Cingular / at&t subscriber, wouldn't have signal, but I would. Call quality on Tmo is much better, in my opinion. I could have 5 bars on Cingular and the amount of cutting in and out was horrendous; not so with Tmo.

Even though this thread isn't about switching, I'm happy I did.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:58 PM   #8
Noekozz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: att/verizon

As far as coverage, it really depends on your area like others have stated. Tmo has the best rate plans, vwz for example has excellent coverage in my area, but ATT is pretty decent as well.

In the end, it all comes down to coverage.