Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 07:39 AM   #1
dwp1975
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: 304CEA0A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted (Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.1.7196/1690; en; U; ssr))

I am currently a verizon customer but may have to switch to t-mobile for their lower prices. Anyone on the board a blackberry user, specifically a Pearl and lives or works in the Rockville area of Montgomery county of Maryland. I would like to know how is their signal strength, how reliable is their email retrival as well since if the signal is low so is the data connection. I had t-mobile over 2 years ago and it would only work in a specific corner of my home. Wanted to see if the signal has improved since then.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:45 AM   #2
4n6doc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

This might help some: Coverage maps

But hopefully some people with direct personal experience will be able to tell you how well T-Mobile has worked for them in the area.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:49 AM   #3
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

do a trial prior to purchasing only you can tell what you need for coverage. those coverage maps are nice but not all inclusive. Nextel shows 100% coverage at my house but the phones dont work.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:11 AM   #4
dwp1975
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4n6doc View Post
This might help some: Coverage maps

But hopefully some people with direct personal experience will be able to tell you how well T-Mobile has worked for them in the area.
Those coverage maps are notoriously inaccurate, verizon shows my neighborhood for like a 5 mile radius to be full bars, but only if I sit in certain spots and don't move is that true in my home.....lol
Old 07-09-2007, 08:48 AM   #5
DarthTreo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon

I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile in November of last year. I was a long time Verizon user. I switched because the Treo I had with Verizon was HORRIBLE and their selection of smart phones at the time was crapola. IMO, the network with Verizon is better in terms of coverage areas in the DC metro area. I live and work in NOVA and am in DC sometimes as well. Out past Leesburg, VA (I drive out there for golf!) there is no comparison, Verizon wins hands down. But T-Mobil isn't bad. The price is right, the BB works GREAT and the unlimited data tethering is huge!
Old 07-09-2007, 10:16 AM   #6
dwp1975
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthTreo View Post
I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile in November of last year. I was a long time Verizon user. I switched because the Treo I had with Verizon was HORRIBLE and their selection of smart phones at the time was crapola. IMO, the network with Verizon is better in terms of coverage areas in the DC metro area. I live and work in NOVA and am in DC sometimes as well. Out past Leesburg, VA (I drive out there for golf!) there is no comparison, Verizon wins hands down. But T-Mobil isn't bad. The price is right, the BB works GREAT and the unlimited data tethering is huge!
Sounds promising, I live in Rockville, MD and work in Reston, VA. If T-mobile can adequetly cover those areas and my email delivery isn't affected due to low/no network coverage then I can switch.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:23 AM   #7
Wishdemon
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Im near DC and am in the rockville/moco area quite a bit and I have to say that service is really reliable....I really like tmo here..

One thing I hope you realize is that only verizon has contracts with the metro so you wont have service in the metro if you use tmo...
Old 07-09-2007, 11:43 AM   #8
Tennvol
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMobile

I live in Alexandria and work in Falls Church (skyline). As I'm sure you know Verizon is the only carrier that works in Metro tunnels. The 2 carriers seem to be the same coverage wise except where I work. Oddly enough I get TMobile EDGE coverage from my desk and no Verizon coverage. I was surprised to travel out to the sticks of Winchester this past weekend and had 4 bars of EDGE coverage.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:06 PM   #9
dkf747
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8520
Carrier: TMO

I live in Gaithersburg, right near Rockville, and TMO coverage has always been great there. The only place in the DC area where coverage was baqd was on the Metro.
Closed Thread