BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 02:31 PM   #1
Dranakin
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Cell phone in addition to BlackBerry device?

Please Login to Remove!

Just curious why people use both a cell phone and a BB device. Would you be normally carrying two cell phones anyway, or do you just not like the BB as a phone?
Old 06-15-2007, 02:39 PM   #2
sdetweil
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranakin View Post
Just curious why people use both a cell phone and a BB device. Would you be normally carrying two cell phones anyway, or do you just not like the BB as a phone?
prior to recently the phone side of the BB has been less than stellar..

my 8700 was 'ok', but no noise cancel, holding brick to your ear, and not so hot speakerphone were hard to deal with..

my new 8300 (aka Curve) is WAY WAY better..

Also, many companies would pay for the data service but not the phoen service.. (mine is like that for certain users)

Sam
Old 06-15-2007, 02:40 PM   #3
Andi
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700

Because I use the BB for my job, provided by the company I consult for and they don't pay for cell phone service for any of the 320+ bbs here.

Personally, my cell phone is so much smaller than the 8800 and I don't have to carry the bb after hours and weekends so I actually leave it at home - Ok... rarely...
Old 06-15-2007, 02:54 PM   #4
kelvin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: VZW

Nope - for me it was intially about paying an unreasonable amount to the company for the minutes I used , even to calls "in network". And yes - going through the bill to highlight personal calls. That has changed (not before I got my own phone) but I will stick with two phones so I can leave my BB at home on "my time"
Old 06-15-2007, 03:13 PM   #5
MotoUp
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

I used to carry a phone and a BB, back when I had my 7290. That was also before we had a BES. So now that I have a BES, and a much less bulky phone, I'm completely content with using my BB as a phone. And I'm also fortunate enough to have my company pay my bill.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:29 PM   #6
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

I have an ATT BB8800 and a Verizon phone. The BB is the primary for everything. The Verizon phone is my personal phone and is my backup in those areas where the ATT/Cingular coverage is less than stellar.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:10 PM   #7
giff74

Model: 7250
Carrier: Sprint

I own my own company and my BB is my lifeline to clients. I get emails and phone calls ALL the time. However, this weekend I am taking a long weekend and my wife and I are going to a friends wedding (without the kids) and there is no way in heck my wife would let me take the BB. So I fall back on the regular cell phone.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:13 PM   #8
slimothy

Model: 7290

If the BB could do data and voice simultaneously, that would address the biggest problem of using the BB for data and voice.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:15 PM   #9
birddog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

For me, the company pays for the blackberry, but won't pay for the phone.

If ATT would allow me to put my own voice contract on the same device that they bill data to my company, I and many others, would move my voice contract in a flash. 'Till then, I carry my own phone (which is not on AT&T)
Old 06-15-2007, 05:15 PM   #10
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranakin View Post
I have a Verizon cell phone and a T-Mobile Blackberry.
Verizon is very dependable and I always have service. T-Mobile I get service everywhere except the 2nd floor bathroom in my house haha.

Anyways, that's not why I have 2 phones. I have 2 phones because I had the Verizon phone when I first started working for a company, then the Blackberry was give to me.

I think the rule of thumb in the business world is...the more phones that you have on your belt, the more important you must be hehe
Closed Thread