Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 02:26 AM   #1
lithic
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Black Berry vs Treo

Please Login to Remove!

From an It prospective thus far no contest. The Blackberrys weve released to users in the last 2 monthns have produced almosnt no calls (and a reset via battery pull resolved the one we had), vs the palm based treos that seem to need constat support.

Note: were a Novell based organization. I got a bb and have had zero problems, convinced my manager who also now has a bb, and now our CFO and several project manangers and field reps.

I feel vinicated. I think black berry is the way to go if you want a phone and email device.

Anyone have any input?

PS i Carry a 8100.

Last edited by lithic; 06-08-2007 at 02:28 AM.. Reason: more info...
Old 06-08-2007, 02:58 AM   #2
Hemiolia
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A

I'm so glad someone else started this thread.

I've been so tempted to start it myself, but I know I'd have the Search Nazis jumping down my throat.

I have just completed my 2-year contract with T-Mobile and am considering moving to Cingular for a Palm product (Treo 680, maybe).

Email functionality isn't as important to me as are things like browser robustness, availability of various apps, ease of use, etc..

Also, a HUGE BIGGIE -- does anyone know whether those Treos automatically change the time on the handset according to the location of your time zone? This alone would be get me sold, unfortunately. How sad is that?

I currently use a BB 8100 with T-Mo's network on the BB Minutes & Mail 1,000 plan.

Last edited by Hemiolia; 06-08-2007 at 03:01 AM.. Reason: Diction
Old 06-09-2007, 09:17 AM   #3
DarthTreo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemiolia View Post
I'm so glad someone else started this thread.

I've been so tempted to start it myself, but I know I'd have the Search Nazis jumping down my throat.

I have just completed my 2-year contract with T-Mobile and am considering moving to Cingular for a Palm product (Treo 680, maybe).

Email functionality isn't as important to me as are things like browser robustness, availability of various apps, ease of use, etc..

Also, a HUGE BIGGIE -- does anyone know whether those Treos automatically change the time on the handset according to the location of your time zone? This alone would be get me sold, unfortunately. How sad is that?

I currently use a BB 8100 with T-Mo's network on the BB Minutes & Mail 1,000 plan.
I had a Treo 650 with Verizon. While the HTML email was nice and touchscreen was pretty cool, the device just crashed daily. It would need hard resets once or twice a day. Perhaps the most annoying thing was it would loop incoming calls so the phone would keep ringing until I pulled the battery and did a hard reset with the stylus (I could not answer the call!). All the 3rd party software is pretty cool though. And to answer your question, the time did change automatically when I traveled across the US. Before you jump though...

1. The phone is HEAVY. Not fun for a pocket or a belt holster really.
2. The quality of the phone SUCKS! If you don't have a BT headset, forget about it. And the Treo is very finicky about what headsets it works well with. Do your research on this.
3. It gets hung up like a computer and needs soft and/or hard resets frequently.

Every time I consider going back to a Treo for the HTML email and nicer calendar, I just think of how BAD the phone quality was and how many times I had to reset the damn thing. The stability of the Treo PALES in comparson to the BB. Hope that helps.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:44 AM   #4
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD

This needs to be moved to the "Other Handheld Devices" section.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:19 AM   #5
Bimmer

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular
Talking

What Lithic said, no contest. I had a treo 650 & 700p with verizon, horrible blue tooth problems and weekly crashes. My contract was up with verizon found this forum, took a chance with Cingular and the BlackBerry 8800. Great phone not one crash, reset, and the blue tooth works, in fact the phone works so great that I brought my Wife the BlackBerry 8300 and she loves it. We get better reception in house than what we got with verizon. I'm happy I found this forum.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:52 AM   #6
gadgetjunkies
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8820
PIN: Depends which BB I am using
Carrier: AT&T

Igree. After being a long time (Palm Pilot through a 650 and finally a 680) I moved to a BB. Haven't looked back since. By far a more stable device. Like the OP said maybe a battery pull every now and then solves the problem. I currently have a 8100 but looking at the 8300.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:21 AM   #7
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemiolia View Post

Yes...they do. Just switched from a Treo 680 (no problems whatsoever...did not need "constant support", no crashes, freezes or hiccups) to a Blackberry mainly due to just wanting something different. After a couple of years with Palm...and never having tried Blackberry...it was time for a change. But...the Treo is great, and if the Blackberry doesn't prove itself...I might go back.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:16 PM   #8
shadhman

Carrier: GCI

I had a Treo 650 & 680 . I also work at a Telecommunications company that sells the above and BB 8100's. Hands down the 8100 puts the Palm O.S. Treo's to shame. As for the BB's comparing to lets say the Treo 750... The 750 beats the BB's out.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:07 PM   #9
bb-mike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers

Dumped my Treo 650 for the pearl and never looked back. There are a few things I miss about the 650 - but there are a lot more I would miss about my pearl. Someone will have to pry it out of my cold dead hand! ;)
Old 06-10-2007, 04:18 PM   #10
jay_man2

Model: 8300
Carrier: at&t

I had a Treo 700p on Sprint, now have a Curve on at&t. Palm still hasn't released the needed ROM update for the 700p, but they find time to develop a product most won't need or want - the Foleo.

I've use Palm since the beginning, but the Curve does all the pda stuff I need, and the email is much better than VersaMail on the Treo. I find that with push email, I feel more productive, and free to use my time in other ways than constantly checking email.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:37 PM   #11
lxalexxl
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Treo = big and ugly. BlackBerry = sleek and sexy.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:54 PM   #12
janice123

Carrier: Tmo

I've worked at a cell phone company for about 3 years. Thru my three years we have swapped out sooooooo many treos due to it being all buggy and crashing.
I can tell you that many customers were not happy and wanted a multi fru ( a different phone). I remember sometimes evern sitting on the phone with them troubleshooting it for about an hour .... although in my mind I knew that it had to be replaced. (part of the process, before sending out a replacement)
I had a treo and sold it after about a week. It's a POS in my opinion.It's heavy, bulky and not reliable. Oh yeah not very user friendly either.. IMO

This bb 8100 is my first and I can honestly say that I love this thing. By far Beats all the PDAs I've ever had.
I hope that helps..
Old 06-11-2007, 01:40 AM   #13
lithic
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks everyone who answered, I suppose i should pose the same question in a plam treo forum and compare

If we go this way, I wonder at what point setting up a bes server would be appropriate.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:53 PM   #14
bearhill
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Cingular

I thought I was the only person who experienced the incoming call loop with the Treo. If I left it on my desk at lunch the battery would be dead when I returned because it would ring for 45 minutes and annoy the crap out of anyone within hearing distance. I hated my TREO! Love my Pearl!
Old 06-11-2007, 03:00 PM   #15
4n6doc
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'll add my agreement here. I had a Treo 700 and it was an unstable nightmare which would need to be reset (or would reset on its own) at least once a day.

The Blackberry is a far smarter, sleeker device.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:03 PM   #16
fkjr2
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
Carrier: ATT

Use to rely heavily on the Treo's - all models - now I can't imagine turning one on

The 8100 and 8300 have so much power and are smaller, sexier :~)
I have both of them.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:36 PM   #17
ROMAC

Carrier: TMobile

I had a Treo 650 for a few weeks and hated it . I prefer the BB 8100 , but again it is all your choice .
Closed Thread