Old 05-23-2007, 09:30 PM   #1
Tomcool
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular
Default Few more questions from a Pearl newbie

Please Login to Remove!

I've been reading through tons of threads the past day and wondered if anyone could answer a few questions I've come up with.

How can you find out which OS is on your pearl and how can you update it to the most recent? And when you update it does it totally wipe the old OS? I ask this because I ran into a thread that had instructions on how to delete other language support and it said the best way to do it was do it before you install a new OS on your pearl.

What free apps are good that don't need a data plan to use them and how exactly do you install them?

To cingular customers, I want to add a data plan and wondered what the most popular choice is. I just want to be able to check email (hotmail/gmail etc) and go on websites.

I'm also thinking about getting one of those thin clear skins to protect the pearl, do these really help or is the only way I'll really damage the phone is by dropping it?

Thanks in adance guys, I'm sure I'll have more questions the more I keep playing with it
Old 05-23-2007, 09:39 PM   #2
Impaler80s
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
PIN: 31B54365
Carrier: Sprint

To find out what version your Pearl is, go to Options/About. To update it, log on to your cingular.com account, and click on support for your device, and you'll see a link for BlackBerry downloads. Download the file, then run it...it'll ask you to plug the device into your computer and it'll run the update. It erases old versions. You will get to choose what you want to update.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:47 PM   #3
LaTuFu
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 23FA4D95
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

There is a sticky thread that talks about useful apps, themes, wallpapers, etc. Most of the apps are free and can be downloaded to your PC and transferred via Desktop Manager (DM) and the USB cable.

Cingular has an unlimited data plan for $34.99. To get unlimited text with it, I think it bumps to $39.99.

They just recently rolled out an unlimited everything (voice, data, text) option, but I don't remember what the pricing is. Call Customer Service or hit the website.

As for cases, I really like the Leather Pocket Holster. Has a magnet that puts the phone in sleep mode when you insert it into the case. Wakes up when you get a call or message. Case doesn't add much bulk so it fits easily into your pocket.

Last edited by LaTuFu; 05-23-2007 at 09:49 PM..
Old 05-23-2007, 09:47 PM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

The only apps that don't use data are a couple of Intant Message chat applications that use SMS messaging instead, like OZ, for one. Most all others, like BBWeather, JiveTalk, Beyond411 use data.

You can actually use another carrier's OS for the Pearl if you want, but if I were you, unless you are REALLY familiar with the BlackBerry already, to caution you stick with your Cingular verions for the time being until you get more familar with your BlackBerry. Download the OS from Cingular as described above, open and install it on your PC, then open Desktop Manager and then Application Loader, it will ask you which application to add using the checkbox, click the ones you want added back in.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:55 PM   #5
LaTuFu
Thumbs Must Hurt

And P.S. This thread looks like it might have something worth a free download.

Might only be available as an OTA (Over The Air, i.e. needs dataplan on phone)
Old 05-23-2007, 09:59 PM   #6
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Also look at the FAQ site for some free games, etc., scroll down to 3rd Party Applications
http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Main_Page
Old 05-23-2007, 10:03 PM   #7
polismega

Carrier: att
Default an upgrade questions...

I'm thinking of upgrading my ATT 8100's software but before I do, I had a question that I hope you guys can answer...will upgrading the phone's software remove software that my IT group has added and email configuration for my corporate email? in other words, will the upgrade wipe the phone out back to square one?

Many thanks in advance.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:07 PM   #8
LaTuFu
Thumbs Must Hurt

It shouldn't affect any of that. I have done two separate OS upgrades in the last 2 weeks, and neither has affected any third party apps or email settings.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:36 PM   #9
Tomcool
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Cingular

Thanks once again guys,

Im downloading BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.2.0.88 as I type. If I understood correctly, all i do to install it is open it once it is downloaded and then connect my Pearl to the usb link cable when it asks me to?

Is this how I would go about installing games/ringtones etc also?

Also, I want to delete the other languages and the video that come with the OS, I do that before I install it onto the Pearl right?
Old 05-23-2007, 11:05 PM   #10
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by polismega View Post
I'm thinking of upgrading my ATT 8100's software but before I do, I had a question that I hope you guys can answer...will upgrading the phone's software remove software that my IT group has added and email configuration for my corporate email? in other words, will the upgrade wipe the phone out back to square one?

Many thanks in advance.
It will affect your email configuration/activation with the BES. At the end of the upgrade you will need to reactivate on the BES. This can be done automatically if Desktop Manager is setup to connect to your corporate email client connected to the corporate network. You can be connected via VPN or LAN but you'll need to be connected. In Desktop Manager it will say "connected" and "online." Online means that the DM is online with your email account. If this is not possible then worst case scenario is that you'll need to call your BES admin and have them setup an activation password to reactivate you on the BES.
Closed Thread