BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 12:18 AM   #1
timeshifter

Model: none
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default Should I get a Pearl (Treo 650 user)

Please Login to Remove!

Should I get a Blackberry Pearl?

Didn't know this phone existed until today when I was setting up a client's new computer. She handed me her Blackberry Pearl to set up the syncing, etc. It was almost love at first site!

Don't tell my Treo 650 that there is lust in my heart for this sweet looking little Pearl.

Could someone here give me an idea of whether or not this phone would be compatible with the way I work?

OK, thanks... here's a little background. I'm self-employed as a residetial / small business computer service and support guy. The three major needs I have (and currently use my Treo 650 for) are:
1) Calendar
2) Contacts
3) Time tracking and billing.

I like how I can click one button for each of the first two and quickly be in my calendar or contact list. It's very fast and easy to lookup and dial a contact. Calendar access is simalarly speedy.

For time tracking and billing I have a $30 app called Zocksync. When I arrive at a job I click a few buttons to start the timer. At the end of the job I go there again and stop it. For pay-on-site customers I have a total ready to present to the customer. For billing customers I create an export file before I synch and get it in spreadsheet form on my PC. (The software also supports Quickbooks but I've never set up that feature - looks a little cubmersome, mainly you have to preload all of your client names).

So I'm pretty sure that 1 and 2 are handled. Don't know if 3 is available on the platform, for a reasonable price.

My main attraction to the Pearl is that it is so small and lightweight compared to the fat-assed Treo. I've been a Treo user for 3.5 years. It'd be nice to have something smaller with better Bluetooth support.

Oh yeah, I'm on Sprint. I've been reading about the rumored release on Sprint (and have seen the threads here about that). I don't need a new phone right away. Or, maybe I'll switch carriers if you guys can push me over the edge :D

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:34 AM   #2
beyondalegend
CrackBerry Addict

Model: BOLD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeshifter View Post
Didn't know this phone existed until today.......My main attraction to the Pearl is that it is so small and lightweight compared to the fat-assed Treo.
Didn't know it existed???...wow...lol.. I would get it, it's a good device overall. I don't know of any software for billing use, I'm sure there is something out there.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:02 AM   #3
reddog187
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeshifter View Post
Should I get a Blackberry Pearl?

Didn't know this phone existed until today when I was setting up a client's new computer. She handed me her Blackberry Pearl to set up the syncing, etc. It was almost love at first site!

Don't tell my Treo 650 that there is lust in my heart for this sweet looking little Pearl.

Could someone here give me an idea of whether or not this phone would be compatible with the way I work?

OK, thanks... here's a little background. I'm self-employed as a residetial / small business computer service and support guy. The three major needs I have (and currently use my Treo 650 for) are:
1) Calendar
2) Contacts
3) Time tracking and billing.

I like how I can click one button for each of the first two and quickly be in my calendar or contact list. It's very fast and easy to lookup and dial a contact. Calendar access is simalarly speedy.

For time tracking and billing I have a $30 app called Zocksync. When I arrive at a job I click a few buttons to start the timer. At the end of the job I go there again and stop it. For pay-on-site customers I have a total ready to present to the customer. For billing customers I create an export file before I synch and get it in spreadsheet form on my PC. (The software also supports Quickbooks but I've never set up that feature - looks a little cubmersome, mainly you have to preload all of your client names).

So I'm pretty sure that 1 and 2 are handled. Don't know if 3 is available on the platform, for a reasonable price.

My main attraction to the Pearl is that it is so small and lightweight compared to the fat-assed Treo. I've been a Treo user for 3.5 years. It'd be nice to have something smaller with better Bluetooth support.

Oh yeah, I'm on Sprint. I've been reading about the rumored release on Sprint (and have seen the threads here about that). I don't need a new phone right away. Or, maybe I'll switch carriers if you guys can push me over the edge :D

Thanks in advance.
I think sprint is coming out with a BB. You may want to look into that. Just remember there is a bit of a learning curve coming from a Treo. Most previous Treo owners that I have talked to like the Pearl better. Just keep in mind the new BB coming to sprint. You might not even have to switch carriers.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:28 AM   #4
secrecyguy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: T-mobile

I have the Blackberry 8100 Pearl. I recommend it highly.

Just to let you know, the Blackberry 8300 Curve is also coming out toward the end of this month. It does the exactly the same thing except that it have full size keyboard, updated media player, and standard headphone jack.

Just in case you don't know this, both phones are Cingular and T-mobile.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:35 AM   #5
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Model: 666
Carrier: ?

As a recovering Treo user (even after 2 years, I still have flash backs of resets! ), I would say drop the treo. Any BB (8100, 8300, 8800) is better than the Treo. BB is more stable and versatile.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:34 AM   #6
brosson

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Hi TimeShifter,

There are a couple of blackberry apps that will do what you want for number 3 on your list...here is one of them:

Download BizTrackIt (BlackBerry) 1.8.0.3 Free Trial - BizTrackIt is a simple to use, project-based, time tracking tool. - Softpedia

If the three uses are truly all you want out of a phone/handheld then I would definitely drop the treo and go with the Pearl. I used to be a treo 700w user and I LOVE the form factor of the Pearl.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:37 AM   #7
timeshifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondalegend View Post
Didn't know it existed???...wow...lol..
Why is that so hard to understand?

Sure, I'd heard of Blackberrys. But I was never the least bit interested in one until I saw the Pearl.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:41 AM   #8
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Remember timeshifter this is a BBF so most of us are very much biased in our opinion of the BB device. We are also very on the pulse of new and upcoming devices from BB. Also remember, beyondalegend was being facetious (sarcastic humor) and poking a little fun. It was the avatar made him do it!
Old 05-03-2007, 10:41 AM   #9
timeshifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brosson View Post
Hi TimeShifter,

There are a couple of blackberry apps that will do what you want for number 3 on your list...here is one of them:

Download BizTrackIt (BlackBerry) 1.8.0.3 Free Trial - BizTrackIt is a simple to use, project-based, time tracking tool. - Softpedia

If the three uses are truly all you want out of a phone/handheld then I would definitely drop the treo and go with the Pearl. I used to be a treo 700w user and I LOVE the form factor of the Pearl.

Hope this helps.
That does help brosson - thanks! Besides the form factor, what else do you like about the Pearl?

(btw - I just caught up to your post count :D )
Old 05-03-2007, 10:49 AM   #10
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

Dude - Buy it already!!! Great phone...nothing else comes close in my opinion.

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 05-03-2007, 10:50 AM   #11
timeshifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucejr View Post
Remember timeshifter this is a BBF so most of us are very much biased in our opinion of the BB device. We are also very on the pulse of new and upcoming devices from BB. Also remember, beyondalegend was being facetious (sarcastic humor) and poking a little fun. It was the avatar made him do it!
Yeah, I missed the facetious-ness of his post. Didn't miss the avatar though!

I understand where he's coming from though - you guys live and breathe this stuff so it's blasphemy when someone doesn't know about a model that's about a year old.

When people see me whip out my Treo many time's they'll ask: "Is that a Blackberry?" Maybe that's the best reason for me to get this so I can simply say "yes, yes is a Blackberry!".
Old 05-03-2007, 10:58 AM   #12
thk

Carrier: at&t

I had a Treo 650 and a Motorola Q after that. My limited experience with my Pearl has been nothing less than stellar so far.

My old Treo 650 had random lockups that was frustrating beyond belief. Would miss phone calls because I would assume the thing was running in it's holster. The Motorola Q faired a bit better but the whole system was laggy as hell from navigation to inputting (could type faster than the device could keep up on average). Battery life was awful too.

I've gotten used to Suretype already so it's isn't a handicap anymore. I can send off texts and e-mails just fine now and it only took a day or two. Form factor is a huge change from my previous smartphones. And there is one small feature that I really appreciate so far. The proximity sensor in some of the holsters. If it's on my belt, it knows just to vibrate. If I leave it on my desk and out of my holster, it automatically switches to an audible notification plus LED flash.

It really feels like a "smart" phone with this feature alone.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:59 AM   #13
timeshifter

Would be especially interested in comparison to Palm OS based Treos. I'm not a fan of the Windows based Treos so don't consider those comparisons relevant for me personally - unless of course you're just comparing the physical aspects of the devices.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:33 AM   #14
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Relative to stability issues, Palm is more stable than WM, and BB is more stable than Palm. I had the 600, and 650 with TMO. WM gives you the edit capabilities on the Widows Office products, so WM still has the BB there.

My friend has his Treo 650 only because as a real estate agent, the programs he uses are not BB compatible (yet). Another issue is the IR which he uses to show potential buyers houses. BB does not have IR (would be a nice feature for future devices).

The Pearl is the first BB device to compete with the WM media format. Hands down the Pearl is the most compact, the 8800 more compact than the 8700, and the 8300 will be more compact than the 8800 (but not as much as the 8100). Compared to (5) years ago, the BB has a huge assortment of devices to chose from based upon individual want and need.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:44 AM   #15
beyondalegend
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucejr View Post
It was the avatar made him do it!
LMAO......
Old 05-03-2007, 12:20 PM   #16
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

beyondalegend, she'd make me write bad checks!!
Old 05-03-2007, 01:22 PM   #17
beyondalegend
CrackBerry Addict

Hahahaha... Dude your hilarious!
Old 05-03-2007, 05:24 PM   #18
bb-mike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers

I came from a Treo 650 to the BB Pearl.

I have never looked back and could not be happier. It's a great device and does everything (and more) than my Treo did.

The phone is WAY better
Bluetooth is WAY more stable
You can speed dial by name just like the Treo
It never crashes
Web surfing works better
The phone is more compact and pocket-friendly
Syncs beautifully with my PC (and wirelessly since my work got Blackberry Enterprise Server).

I won't lie - there is a learning curve and some things are buried a lot more deeply in the interface than on the Treo. But overall - you won't be disapointed.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:38 PM   #19
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondalegend View Post
Hahahaha... Dude your hilarious!
I'm just wonderin' where she is gonna swipe that card!
Old 05-03-2007, 08:14 PM   #20
bearhill

Carrier: Cingular

I jumped from using a Treo 650 on Verizon Wireless to a Pearl and there is no comparison. It's like asking someone to compare one of those 1980's osborne portable computers to a modern day notebook computer...

The phone on the Pearl is night and day better, the screen is night and day better, you will not need to get your hip re-aligned from carrying the Pearl around like you will after carrying the Treo around. I hated the Treo so much I jumped ship prior to my contract ending with VZW. I could not take the daily resets for the Treo...

Pearl is the way to go.
Closed Thread