BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 12:31 AM   #1
s.newave

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T
Question Can I do this with a blackberry?

Please Login to Remove!

I am seriously looking at getting a BB, possibly the 8703e from VZW, but had a question first. First a bit of background hehe. I have been a ppc user for many years now and although i am pretty happy I am considering changing camps as i have found that despite all the bells & whistles the most important thing to me is having my email, appts, task, & contacts with me at all times.

My main problem is that i work in a group of people and the way we have our outlook setup is that we use the calendar, contacts, notes, & tasks of the head of our group to keep track of all the respective information which we all enter into that mailbox. What this means is that i basically only use my Outlook Mailbox for my email and then i have outlook setup to open another user's mailbox (the leaders) to access/enter all our contacts, tasks, appts, etc.. Needless to say this has been a syncing nightmare as you can imagine and every application i have tried allows you to open only 1 outlook mailbox at a time. So i have been forced to choose between either my email or everything else. I have tried setting up my device on our group leaders account and then using some type of "pull" software for my email but this has never worked out all that well.

Finally my question is: Is there a way, using 1st party software, 3rd party, anything, to be able to open two outlook exchange accounts at the same time where all the information is "pushed" out to the device using a bb? I think i read somewhere on this forum that this was not possible using the native software but perhaps using 3rd party software. Has anyone had any luck in a similar situation or have any ideas?

thx
Old 01-17-2007, 11:43 AM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

It is not possible to have two BES accounts on one BB, sorry.

And, of course, welcome to the forums....
Old 01-17-2007, 01:12 PM   #3
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Have you tried to use the filter rules to copy emails sent to the leaders inbox to you. I have 4 different mailboxes on my machine and forward one to my main using the rules feature. you will have to be allowed to implement rules on the server. If you do it on your pc, only when it is on line will it work. some IT groups restrict this ability.

From Outlook

Create a rule
Do one of the following:

Create a rule from a template or from scratch

Click Inbox .
On the Tools menu, click Rules Wizard.
In the Apply changes to this folder list, click the Inbox you want.
Click New.
Do one of the following:
Use a template with pre-specified actions and conditions

Click Start creating a rule from a template.
Use your own conditions and actions

Click Start from a blank rule.
Note This option is not available when you create a rule for a public folder.

Click Next.
Follow the instructions in the Rules Wizard.
If you want to run a newly created rule on messages already in the Inbox, select the Run this rule now on messages already in Inbox check box on the last page of the Rules Wizard.

To have this rule apply to all your accounts and Inboxes, select the Create this rule on all accounts check box on the last page of the Rules Wizard.

Tip

If you want to run a rule periodically, after creating it, turn it off. Then, when you want to run it, click Run Now.

Create a rule based on a message

Right-click the message you want to base a rule on.
Click Create Rule.
Tip

To run the rule as soon as you have created it, select the Run this rule now on the messages already in Inbox check box on the last page of the Rules Wizard.

Create a rule with an OR condition

To create a rule with multiple conditions, in the Which conditions do you want to check list, select a condition that contains the word "or".

Click Inbox .

On the Tools menu, click Rules Wizard.

In the Apply changes to this folder list, click the Inbox you want.

Click New.

Click Start creating a rule from a template.

Select the rule template, and then click Next.

In the Which conditions do you want to check list, select one or more conditions containing "or", and then click Next.

Tip

If you want to run a newly created rule on messages already in the Inbox, select the Run this rule now on messages already in Inbox check box in the last page of the Rules Wizard.

Note If you have multiple e-mail accounts, "me" refers to the e-mail address of any of your accounts, not just the account that is currently active.

good luck and welcome to the forums
Old 01-17-2007, 07:10 PM   #4
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310

If i understand the situation correctly, I don't think you'd need to go through any of that you have access the head's mailbox already set up in Outlook. There shouldn't be any need to have two BES connections to a single Blackberry either.

Just forward your mail to the BB but set up Intellisync to syn with his calendar, contacts, etc... That assumes that you don't use calendar, contacts, notes, and tasks in your own mailbox.

Last edited by takeshi; 01-17-2007 at 07:19 PM..
Old 01-17-2007, 07:57 PM   #5
dhendriksen
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

If I understand docrrectly, I think I have a solution. Use Desktop Manager to sync your outlook with your boss/leaders computer. That will sync contact, notes, and calendar with his computer. Then setup an @tmo.blackberry.net (or whatever carrier you have) address and forward your mail to that. Then name the @tmo.blackberry.net account the same as you account you are forwarding to it, and set the reply to address as the email address you forwarded.

ie: I use a hosted xmission account which is [email address]. I forwarded all my emails from that address to my @tmo.blackberry.net address. Then in my t-mobile I named the @tmo.blackberry.net email account name to [email address]. I also setup the reply address as [email address]. What this does is give me real push mail at my [email address] account, but when I send an email from my bb nobody knows because it looks like it came from [email address], not @tmo.blackberry.net. This also leaves a copy of the email sent to [email address] so my outlook can pull it down and I get it on my computer as well. This also saves the cost of having a hosted BES service. Just sync your phone with your boss/leaders computer via bluetooth every hour or so, and you get all your calendar entries.

Does that make any sense? I am very tired right now, and that is probably long and confusing.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:09 AM   #6
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi
If i understand the situation correctly, I don't think you'd need to go through any of that you have access the head's mailbox already set up in Outlook. There shouldn't be any need to have two BES connections to a single Blackberry either.

Just forward your mail to the BB but set up Intellisync to syn with his calendar, contacts, etc... That assumes that you don't use calendar, contacts, notes, and tasks in your own mailbox.

That will work but my impression was he used both so thats why I suggested the rules approach.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:08 AM   #7
s.newave

Thx for all the great replies. Looks like this is a great bb community.

takeshi: i think this might be the answer i was looking for and one that i had tried to pursue on my ppc to no avail. Just to clarify as im am still a bb noob is this how it would work:

1. I would set up BES to access my email through my works exchange server (meaning i wouldnt have to have a work pc running all the time and i would be able to see all sub-folders in my inbox?)
2. Setup intellisync client on my group heads work computer which would "push" their contacts, calendar, tasks etc to my bb?

Also is intellisync a desktop client monitor that is installed on your work pc, similar to verizon wireless sync?

again thx for all the replies so far
Old 01-19-2007, 06:01 AM   #8
s.newave

takeshi? anyone?
Old 01-19-2007, 06:35 AM   #9
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

If I understand correctly what Takeshi is suggesting you'll need to make sure that after you connect to the BES that you turn off wireless sync on the BB for calendar, memo pad, address book, and tasks. That setting is located in the specific options for each of those apps. Then install Desktop Manager but don't install it for use with BES. Run Desktop Manager and setup Intellisync to sync with the the Outlook profile of your group head. I *think* that's what he's trying to suggest. Takeshi, feel free to correct me if I missed something.

Keep in mind that you don't want to turn on wireless sync in those options or you could lose the info or end up with that info in your calendar, etc.and you won't be able to sync with your group heads until it gets turned off again and even then you could corrupt his info. The only contacts and calendar you will have will be your group heads...you wont have your own. You'll also need to plug in and sync whenever changes are made.

Hope this helps....
Old 01-19-2007, 09:38 PM   #10
s.newave

Thx again, but it is starting to look like i am running into the same problems as i did on the ppc platform, argg. You would think there would be a clean solution to this although i believe it isnt a problem a lot of ppl have. Just to clarify all that i am looking for is a:

1. Solid, fast, reliable way to "push" just my email to my bb
2. Solid, fast, reliable way to "push" (or pull, worst case) the head of our group's calendar, tasks, contacts & notes. We pretty all share the same info so there is no need to have my own contacts,tasks, etc... just my email.

Previously i have setup my other device to sync real time with my group heads outlook profile and setup some sort of pull software for my email which has never really worked all that well. BTW that reminds me is it possible to:

- Sync the same outlook profiles using BES to different BB on the same network. Just realized that obviously our group head is also syncing his outlook with his bb.
- can you use both BIS & BES at the same time. My guess is no but you never know.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I think i might just end up using some sort of outlook pst sync software to sync the calendar,task,contacts,notes from the heads profile to mine on a daily basis. Sounds a bit sketchy though argggg
Closed Thread