BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 05:06 PM   #1
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon
Default PIN Messaging - direct from BB to BB?

Please Login to Remove!

Am I correct in assuming that PIN messages go directly from one Blackberry to the other, no server in the middle? I recently read over on Blackberry Cool how Royal Bank of Canada went ape-shit over PIN messaging and made it their policy to completely disallow the practice. Seems they freaked because they had no way to monitor PIN messaging, no PIN log, or any copy like with email.

Is this really a secure communications method?
Old 03-25-2005, 05:17 PM   #2
vapochilled
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290

anything OTA is not secure,period, that said...as far as I am aware, PIN messages do not go via any corparate BES, they go via the carriers routing. pls correct me if thats not the case
Old 03-25-2005, 05:19 PM   #3
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

And they absolutely get routed through the RIM network (they get passed somewhere from carrier to carrier), so they pass through a server someplace.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:33 PM   #4
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

That makes a lot more sense! How would one BB unit find another? So RBC's objection was that, unlike with email, they had no record themselves of their employees' communications. But the records do exist somewhere, like at RIM or T-Mobile.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:04 PM   #5
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47
That makes a lot more sense! How would one BB unit find another? So RBC's objection was that, unlike with email, they had no record themselves of their employees' communications. But the records do exist somewhere, like at RIM or T-Mobile.
You got it! Yes their is some sort of record with regards to PIN to PIN messages as NJ said seeing they transport via the carrier at some point, the concern I think RBC was having with those messages is the possibility of PIN messages being used to inform, warn, jump the gun or whatever with security trades and transaction with little or no ability to trace intial contact.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:35 AM   #6
AL904
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

If a Blackberry is not connecting using BWC or BES, (in other words, receiving email via desktop re-director,) can it still send and receive PIN messages?

Old 03-26-2005, 08:37 AM   #7
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Yes.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:10 PM   #8
MobileRC

Model: 8300
Carrier: Rogers

CIBC is suing several former executives who started their own company. Just prior to them leaving CIBC they traded confidential company information by way of PIN messages. They were on a BES and it is the IT policy that requires PIN messages be backed up and stored, they were under the assumption that PIN's could not be seen or something? So when they cradled it stored their PIN messages and when they left CIBC checked their logs. Busted. As far as I have heard that is the only "security breach" when it comes to PINs
Old 03-26-2005, 04:20 PM   #9
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

THAT'S what I assumed couldn't happen with PIN messaging. T-Mobile or Cingular or whatever service provider would have a log, but not the company deploying the Blackberries. I didn't know there was even an internal log of PIN messages created in the Blackberry itself. I would have thought the only way for CIBC to get the logs was through subpoena of the carrier.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:03 AM   #10
Steve

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

I hadn't used PIN until seeing more folks posting about it. Today, I sent my wife a PIN message and I thought push mail was fast! WOW! It seemed like it seemed nearly an instant! I even got the "d" for delivered over the sent check mark, that's when her BB alerted her.

I do BCC my BB e-mails to my home PC, this bypasses everything besides the carrier's servers.

Thanks for making me curious!
Steve
- The Final Frontier

Last edited by Steve; 03-31-2005 at 10:39 PM..
Old 03-27-2005, 01:29 AM   #11
teskew

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular

I think of it this way - no matter WHAT you do, there's prob a record of it somewhere!!
Old 03-27-2005, 12:40 PM   #12
jdh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700

Quote:
THAT'S what I assumed couldn't happen with PIN messaging. T-Mobile or Cingular or whatever service provider would have a log, but not the company deploying the Blackberries. I didn't know there was even an internal log of PIN messages created in the Blackberry itself. I would have thought the only way for CIBC to get the logs was through subpoena of the carrier.
For accounting purposes, the carrier might have a log that messages were sent and received (ie, from and to), but I seriously doubt that they track the content of those messages, since it would be a violation of their privacy policy to do so.

When you have a Blackberry issued by a company, it's company property, and it's reasonable for that company to have a policy in place that allows them to control and monitor what you do with it (the same as the content of your traditional e-mail account). However, when you buy a device from a wireless carrier, there is no room for such a policy, and for them to track the content of PIN messages would be a violation of recent privacy laws (aside from the fact that from a logistical point of view, I'm sure they can't be bothered).

As for the Blackberry storing a log of PIN messages, I doubt that this was the case in the CIBC situation.... More likely the employees still had the actual PIN messages in their mailboxes (ie, they hadn't deleted/purged them), and when they connected their Blackberries, the desktop backup simply backed that data up along with everything else that was on their BBs....

Try this: Do a backup with your Blackberry desktop, and then open up the backup file with notepad or somesuch... You'll see your data, including your e-mail messages, contained in there... It's not necessarily in an easily human-readable format, but it's not encrypted either.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:53 PM   #13
efrant

Model: 8700r

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh
snip...

As for the Blackberry storing a log of PIN messages, I doubt that this was the case in the CIBC situation.... More likely the employees still had the actual PIN messages in their mailboxes (ie, they hadn't deleted/purged them), and when they connected their Blackberries, the desktop backup simply backed that data up along with everything else that was on their BBs....

snip...
Exactly!
Old 03-28-2005, 04:07 PM   #14
teskew

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular

Yikes! JDH you're right! I saw all my contacts, emails, etc!
Old 03-28-2005, 06:31 PM   #15
Bunker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290

Quote:
Am I correct in assuming that PIN messages go directly from one Blackberry to the other, no server in the middle? I recently read over on Blackberry Cool how Royal Bank of Canada went ape-shit over PIN messaging and made it their policy to completely disallow the practice. Seems they freaked because they had no way to monitor PIN messaging, no PIN log, or any copy like with email.

Is this really a secure communications method?
From my RIM tech guy:

PIN to PIN:
Message goes from device, to RIM (to discover what network the target device resides), to device.
PIN message are still encrypted via 3-DES, but the actual encryption key is the same for all devices, so the messages are not transmitted in cleartext. A company can make their own key but then it limits PIN to PIN to within the company.

PIN messages are only ever stored on the device (either the sending or receiving device). Leaving the messages on the device means they are accessible there or if you backup your device, accessible using the backups of the device. This is where the messages in question were (either on the device or in the backups the user made).

So from this understanding PIN-to-PIN is secure enough from user to user, but if you are going to make copies of the messages via backups or leave the messages on your device then they are accessible as you would expect.

Goes to show - secure your device and remove backups when they are no longer needed. Pretty typical personal user security issues that only the user really has control over. The users were obviously stupid - the BlackBerry was a company device and the company was obviously entitled to the information on it and the backups that were made on their company desktops/computers.

Bunker
Old 03-28-2005, 07:15 PM   #16
MooseNYC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Default PIN to PIN messages - Question ref: BES

I understand that the PIN message is routed via RIM but is there no setting on a BES to log the items or captire the message? (BES users only)

It was discussed earlier that if the sender erases the message after sending but before 'holstering' the device it wont get logged (assuming wireless reconcilliation). Is this true?

Regards,

Dave
Old 03-29-2005, 11:42 PM   #17
Zro
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800

Ok, time to spew out some info and set this to rest.

On a fresh BlackBerry (as in just had application loader done to load the OS) PIN to PIN can only be seen on the sending and receiving BlackBerry.

They are NOT 3DES encrypted, they are SAH-1 hashed and compressed.

Companies can now get software to load onto the handhelds (I just found this out tonight) that will monitor your message box and blind copy anything it sees there to a server running their backend software.

Wireless reconcile has nothing to do with PIN messages.

If you don't do an auto backup (or backup at all) the received PIN messages will never be anywhere other than the BlackBerry (sender and receiver, and assuming neither have deleted their copy).

PIN messages do touch the BlackBerry infrastructure, but only in a routing sense. They are not tracked or logged there.

PIN messages do not touch your BES server at all, so there's no setting they can set to log them...but they can set an IT policy to disallow sending PIN messages.

This is also the reason that if your BES goes down, or your Exchange/Groupwise/Domino server goes down, you can still send PIN messages.

Carriers cannot tell the difference between a PIN message, an email, or a calendar sync process. They just see BlackBerry data and forward it to the BlackBerry infrastructure.

PIN 2 PIN is fast because it's only using the wireless network, no additional backend overhead (email server, BES, internet traffic, etc)

CIBC has never (to my knowledge) said how they got the PIN messages, but from one article I read in a local paper, they were still on the BlackBerry when the people turned them in when they quit. Someone else mentioned that they used a backup file restored onto another BlackBerry.

Your backup file can be restored onto any other BlackBerry.

A company BlackBerry belongs to the Company. People seem to forget this at times. It is not for personal communication, personal email, conspiracy, whatever....companies just allow you to do this.

ok, done Ranting now...did I forget anything? or anyone have any other questions about PIN messages?

Zro
Old 03-30-2005, 03:03 PM   #18
J0dest3r

Model: 8830
Carrier: Telus
Unhappy

Yes... How do you solve the error messge Decryption failure, please regenerate key when some people send you messages.

It doesn't happen for all BB users, just some for some reason. They have tried generating a new key to no avail.

Last edited by J0dest3r; 03-30-2005 at 03:14 PM..
Old 03-31-2005, 07:19 PM   #19
loonews
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7280, 7290, 7250, 7100

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0dest3r
Yes... How do you solve the error messge Decryption failure, please regenerate key when some people send you messages.

It doesn't happen for all BB users, just some for some reason. They have tried generating a new key to no avail.
I am now having this problem with people on my corporate BES sending pins to people outside our company, I figure it's one or a number of these policy settings so if I figure it I'll let you know, but if someone knows please let me know.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:37 PM   #20
Zro
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800

There is a flag that you can set in the IT policy to disallow PIN messages. Actually, I think there are multiple flags that can be set...One for no send/receive PIN messages, and one for sending PIN messages...there may be more.

Zro
Closed Thread