BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 01:25 PM   #1
ti2ibal1

Model: 8700g
Default Problem installing apps on 8700g...

Please Login to Remove!

Hey guys, new guy here that just got his first BB. I'm pretty clueless as to how to use it, but I do know how to use a search on a forum and found nothing that points me in the direction I need to be going.

I just got my 8700g and when trying to load download Google Maps, it gives me an error message that reads "200: Application can not accept the content [text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor]

Any help would be appreciated.

**EDIT** Getting the same message while trying to download Yahoo! Messenger.

Btw... it's error 406
Old 10-28-2006, 01:40 PM   #2
ti2ibal1

Hmmm.... can't seem to download anything. I tried to get a theme for it and it gave me the same error.

I'm sure it's something real stupid that I'm doing/missing....
Old 10-28-2006, 01:56 PM   #3
naviwilliams
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9900
Carrier: AT&T
Default I wonder...

I take it you can browse the internet, etc? Have you 'ever' been able to download anything?
Old 10-28-2006, 02:03 PM   #4
ti2ibal1

Quote:
Originally Posted by navilyn
I take it you can browse the internet, etc? Have you 'ever' been able to download anything?
Yes, I can browse the internet. I have gone to tuneusin.com and downloaded a ringer without any issues. Just one ringer, one time and that worked fine.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:30 PM   #5
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Where did you get the 8700? Are you on a corporate BES?
Old 10-28-2006, 02:35 PM   #6
ti2ibal1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
Where did you get the 8700? Are you on a corporate BES?
I got the BB on eBay used. Not knowing what a corporate BES is, I'm gonna have to say no.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:01 PM   #7
ti2ibal1

I've tried switching emulation modes in the browser options and that didn't work. I have powered the phone off and on, even removed the battery twice and still get the same issue.

Is it some kinda Java issue? The "j2me" in the error code has me thinking that it my have something to do with that....
Old 10-28-2006, 03:16 PM   #8
plchan
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: NO One

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti2ibal1
I've tried switching emulation modes in the browser options and that didn't work. I have powered the phone off and on, even removed the battery twice and still get the same issue.

Is it some kinda Java issue? The "j2me" in the error code has me thinking that it my have something to do with that....
Do you even have a bb data plan?
Old 10-28-2006, 03:27 PM   #9
ti2ibal1

Quote:
Originally Posted by plchan
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Do you even have a bb data plan?
Yes sir. I called 2 days ago and added it.

I am currently on hold, waiting to talk to T-Mo's "Blackberry Support" to see if I can find something out.

This kinda defeats the purpose of me getting one if I can't download and install apps....
Old 10-28-2006, 03:32 PM   #10
noeffectx
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: 123456
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Yes sir. I called 2 days ago and added it.

I am currently on hold, waiting to talk to T-Mo's "Blackberry Support" to see if I can find something out.

This kinda defeats the purpose of me getting one if I can't download and install apps....
since you got your BB from ebay, chances are your BB has BES admin settings on it. meaning BES admin set a settings on it where you cant download and install softwares.

search how to get rid of your BES/IT settings here in the forum. Good Luck

http://www.flickr.com/groups/blackberry/
Old 10-28-2006, 04:18 PM   #11
ti2ibal1

T-Mo support told me it had a virus. He had me wipe it clean and install a new version of the OS. No help. Still giving me the same error.

Now, I'm on hold waiting to talk to RIM support.

I'll make sure to update with what I find out so that it may help someone else someday.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:50 PM   #12
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

It had a virus? Interesting. They gave you a line...

Can you check to see if it has an IT Policy on it. Go into Options / Security / General Settings and scroll to the bottom. Does it have an IT Policy on it?
Old 10-28-2006, 06:35 PM   #13
ti2ibal1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
It had a virus? Interesting. They gave you a line...

Can you check to see if it has an IT Policy on it. Go into Options / Security / General Settings and scroll to the bottom. Does it have an IT Policy on it?
IT policy is Default.

I talked with the RIM guy and he walked me through getting Yahoo! to work. I'm still not 100% on Google maps. According to there site, they do not support T-Mobile USA at this time. Perhaps that's my issue with that.

It gives me the same error while trying to get Ramble also. I downloaded it to my PC but am clueless as to what to do with the 2 files. (1 .alx and 1 .cod)
Old 10-28-2006, 06:36 PM   #14
plchan
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
IT policy is Default.

I talked with the RIM guy and he walked me through getting Yahoo! to work. I'm still not 100% on Google maps. According to there site, they do not support T-Mobile USA at this time. Perhaps that's my issue with that.

It gives me the same error while trying to get Ramble also. I downloaded it to my PC but am clueless as to what to do with the 2 files. (1 .alx and 1 .cod)
hmm... both google map and ramble work on my tmo acct.

Can you try to download google talk to see if it works on ur device?
Old 10-28-2006, 06:48 PM   #15
ti2ibal1

Quote:
hmm... both google map and ramble work on my tmo acct.

Can you try to download google talk to see if it works on ur device?
Where abouts do I go to get that? Do I have to hook my BB up via USB to my PC in order to get it to work?

I just have not been able to actually download the app wirelessly. If I do it via my PC, it worked.

Is there a link to download Google Maps to my PC and install it via USB? I have downloaded Ramble to my PC, but have not figured out how to install it. When I hook it up and install it, it tells me the .cod file is corrupt or something to that effect.

Could it be that my BB plan is not taken effect yet? I mean, if that was the case, I would not be able to browse the net and use e-mail right? (I added the plan 2 days ago.)
Old 10-28-2006, 07:01 PM   #16
plchan
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Where abouts do I go to get that? Do I have to hook my BB up via USB to my PC in order to get it to work?

I just have not been able to actually download the app wirelessly. If I do it via my PC, it worked.

Is there a link to download Google Maps to my PC and install it via USB? I have downloaded Ramble to my PC, but have not figured out how to install it. When I hook it up and install it, it tells me the .cod file is corrupt or something to that effect.

Could it be that my BB plan is not taken effect yet? I mean, if that was the case, I would not be able to browse the net and use e-mail right? (I added the plan 2 days ago.)
if you can get email, your data plan is activated.

check the option -> advanced -> tcp ->

APN: wap.voicestream.com
username: my-tmo-number
password: my-tmo-online-acct-pwd

someone said you would not need to put the username / pwd. it did not work for me. once i add the username and password, i could surf on the net using the Tzone browser and the Internet Browser.

I do not know how you can download google map on your laptop. It do not think it is an option.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:08 PM   #17
ti2ibal1

Quote:
I do not know how you can download google map on your laptop. It do not think it is an option.
That's what I though. Thanks for the help though.

I emailed Google support in hopes that they may be able to remedy this problem. The RIM guy said he could not help me with it seeing as how Google Maps was not offered by them...

Oh well, I'll keep plugging at it in hopes of victory!
Old 11-02-2006, 05:19 AM   #18
ti2ibal1

UPDATE!!!

After almost pulling hair out trying to figure out what was wrong with this thing, I found it.

No customer service, no forum and no friend helped. Google helped. It pointed me to this. Unlocking the Blackberry

After doing that, I got Google maps and Ramble with no issues!

Thanks to who ever wrote that!
Old 11-02-2006, 06:02 PM   #19
DKatman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint

Good work in Finding that. I do want to say though, that noeffectx and NJBlackberry were going after that exact fix. That was why they asked about a BES and an IT policy.

You did great in finding it. I have seen about 4 threads about this same topic. The good part is, that IT policy was probably how you were able to get a good price on the device. The other person didn't know what they could possibly do with the device in that state.

Dave