BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 10-28-2006, 01:15 AM   #1
bjablonka
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: t-mobile
Default Why no BB and WM 5 combined??

Please Login to Remove!

Why has no one come up with a device which combines BB with WM? I am not talking about BB connect with all its problems, "just" a seamless combination of both?
Old 10-28-2006, 03:00 AM   #2
mike_187
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: AT&T

are you being seriouse? what makes bb so good is the most stable OS. almost never any problems with very relible software and people trust blackberry to be there.

wm5 is garbage, may have more feature but its way too bugy. i personaly would probably never use a blackberry if it ran wm5.
Old 10-28-2006, 04:02 AM   #3
secrecyguy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjablonka
Why has no one come up with a device which combines BB with WM? I am not talking about BB connect with all its problems, "just" a seamless combination of both?
Ummm... is it because they are competitors?
Old 10-28-2006, 04:39 AM   #4
Gareth.Hooper
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Vodacom

You know how we all complain about Windows and all its issue's and constant concerns over security....Would you really want that on a Mobile Handheld aswell? WM is junk! Stick with Blackberry and Blackberry Only, its proven itself and has been around a little longer, so they know what they are doing.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:25 AM   #5
stufried
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: E61
Carrier: Eitislat

I am not going to make the fool's argument that WM5 is as reliable as a Blackberry, but for many of us a Blackberry is not enough and the choice is a Blackberry plus another device if we want to get our job away from the office. With WM5, Palm, or Symbian, it just might be possible. If not, the alternative for many of us is a notebook.

I switched from a Blackberry to a Nokia E61. Believe me there are days I just want to throw the E61 in a lake and dust off my Blackberry, but my office time and billing program works on an E61, but not on a Blackberry. I am out of the country all the time and I can make VOIP calls on my E61. I cannot make them on my Blackberry. Even Symbian is limiting and I thought about an Imate. At the moment, however, I cannot get Blackberry Connect for the model I want and going without Blackberry means mega data roaming bills.

Blackberry recognizes some of its limitations. This is why it is becoming more like a PDA. We all work with practical limitations. Personal Digital Assistants are by definition personal. People have different needs and sometimes your best option is going to have some bugs.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:58 AM   #6
dhendriksen
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

The big complaint I have with the BB is not being able to do anything with attachments, or to store documents. It is not as big of a deal to be able to edit them, but just to have forms saved on the device, that I can attach to an email and send off, without forwarding a previously received message. That is why I also ordered an E61, and it should be here today.

Don't mean to get off topic, but what are your frustrations with the E61? I am curious to hear about them.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:18 AM   #7
strogonowski
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhendriksen
The big complaint I have with the BB is not being able to do anything with attachments, or to store documents. It is not as big of a deal to be able to edit them, but just to have forms saved on the device, that I can attach to an email and send off, without forwarding a previously received message. That is why I also ordered an E61, and it should be here today.

Don't mean to get off topic, but what are your frustrations with the E61? I am curious to hear about them.
Only complain I have about my E62 is speed. It is slower then newer Blackberries. I did have P910a with BBC on it at it was faster but you had to disconnecct BBC in order to browse internet and it did not have EDGE. My last unit was 7100 and after I put 4.1 it was also much slower then newer BB units. But in the end I love my E62 and once you get use S60 v3 shortcuts performance won't matter that much.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:22 AM   #8
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

I can not get past how slow the Symbian OS is. And it always has been that way (from the Nokia 6600 to the 9300 to the E61)... Great phones; horribly slow OS.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:44 AM   #9
dhendriksen

I played with an E62 for a second at the Nokia store, didn't seem to slow for me. I hear a few people on hear talking about how slow the device is, but all the reviews I read rave about how fast it is?

I have to assume that it is fast for a Symbian device, but is still slow compared to the BB os. Once BB adds more document attachment support, I will be right back, as that is my only complaint!
Old 11-01-2006, 09:50 AM   #10
vincentnyc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by stufried
...I am out of the country all the time and I can make VOIP calls on my E61...

what are u serious? in what country are u using to make the VOIP? what kinda connection? edge, evdo, or something else? how is the voice quality in VOIP? what kinda software r u using for VOIP? how much they charge per min?

im thinking of getting the E62 which is exactly the same as the E61. E62 i believe is for USA and the E61 is for europe. this is for my ceo, he travel alot to europe and rest of the world. this will reduce his phone cost which he average about $1000/month.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:01 AM   #11
dhendriksen

VoIP has to be used over a WiFi connection, but its pretty slick. Truphone is an example I have used - as long as you have wifi and an active connection, all calls are free in the US! Do a google search for mobile VoIP and you will see dozens of providers.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:17 AM   #12
AlbertoM

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentnyc
what are u serious? in what country are u using to make the VOIP? what kinda connection? edge, evdo, or something else? how is the voice quality in VOIP? what kinda software r u using for VOIP? how much they charge per min?

im thinking of getting the E62 which is exactly the same as the E61. E62 i believe is for USA and the E61 is for europe. this is for my ceo, he travel alot to europe and rest of the world. this will reduce his phone cost which he average about $1000/month.
I believe the E61 does VOiP, not the E62.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:18 AM   #13
AlbertoM

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Yes, the E62 and Symbian are slow. No big deal, however...speed is not everything....to me voice quality was more important...
Old 11-01-2006, 11:47 AM   #14
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: ip 3g
PIN: 8675309
Carrier: AT&T

E62 does not have a camera or wifi otherwise yes it is basically the same phone as the E61. E61 does VOiP. Decent phone but yes Symbian is very slow. Much better than the Q though IMO.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:36 PM   #15
sting0r
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: dash
Carrier: tmobile

FYI, I use truphone all the time and it works fine over an edge connection.

Quote:
VoIP has to be used over a WiFi connection, but its pretty slick. Truphone is an example I have used - as long as you have wifi and an active connection, all calls are free in the US! Do a google search for mobile VoIP and you will see dozens of providers.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:58 PM   #16
danbra
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: do not use

Quote:
Check DynoPlex,Inc. web site eOffice will allow you to send, receive, edit and store on BB as files attahcments. Dynoplex software will allow you to work with docs, spreadsheets, PDF, PPT, picture files. May also contact our support at 212 400 7602 they will tell you more
Old 11-02-2006, 09:49 PM   #17
vincentnyc
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting0r
FYI, I use truphone all the time and it works fine over an edge connection.
are u serious? wow...how much truphone charge per min or is it per data? what happen when u travel over sea where u can only get GPRS? does that work well with GPRS?
Old 11-02-2006, 11:49 PM   #18
sting0r
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: dash
Carrier: tmobile

truphone is free through the end of year. Don't think it will work on GPRS too well...
Old 11-03-2006, 10:03 PM   #19
vincentnyc
CrackBerry Addict

well if u r using edge in usa...and travel abroud like the uk or rest of euope, will u be using edge? but i heard u only be able to get GPRS? but i also heard europe cell technology is way ahead of USA. im really confused. and ehat about users from UK to USA.

if u can't use it abroad, then it defeat the purpose of having it huh?
Old 11-04-2006, 12:01 AM   #20
stac

Model: 8110
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbra
Check DynoPlex,Inc. web site eOffice will allow you to send, receive, edit and store on BB as files attahcments. Dynoplex software will allow you to work with docs, spreadsheets, PDF, PPT, picture files. May also contact our support at 212 400 7602 they will tell you more
Oh, and be ready to tap your 401k if you want to buy the software... I wonder when dynoplex is going to realize that if they sold their software for $50, they'd have 400% more customers to make up the difference... With blackberries breaking out of the corporate area and into the consumer space, the market for this software would be huge...

Stac

'This one goes to eleven...'