Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 03:46 PM   #1
Need
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130E
Carrier: Sprint
Default TeleNav on 7130E

Please Login to Remove!

I upgraded the software on my Sprint 7130E yesterday and signed up for the free 30 days trial on TeleNav. Here is a short review of it so far. It is working really well in the Los Angeles area. My drive home from work is 45 miles going thru 3 freeways and many local streets. The whole drive took about 90 min because of traffic. The GPS never lost signal. Every turn was correct. Even when I purposely got off the freeway to avoid some trouble area, the software did re-route pretty quick. The speaker voice was very clear and good volume. I can hear it even with radio on. I was at 100% battery, and when I got home, it was at 85%. I have TeleNav set at backlight at turns which is the default.

I have one problem with the software though. It seems like when it is navigating and someone calls you. The other person voice keep breaking up. I am 100% sure it was due to the TeleNav software, but I never had that problem before. And when I terminate the software to call back, the sound was just fine.

Today I tried the find gas station by price option. It is pretty cool. I found a station by my house I never go to which is cheaper by 5 cents to the one I normal go. Finding gas station is going to be really useful for me. Many time I was low on gas and got off the freeway hoping there would be a station somewhere... Now I can find out exactly where that station is.

I only had it for 2 days, but so far I am impressed. Going to use it more and update this post.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:11 PM   #2
Need
Thumbs Must Hurt

So far this weekend, TeleNav was working really well. Have to take someone to the airport yesterday (about 90 miles round trip). TeleNav was working perfectly until I actually exit the freeway at LAX. Once I started to enter the airport, the software got a little confused and tried to tell me to turn on some street I don't see. But since I was already at the airport, I don't need direction anymore.

Today I used it to navigate to a church about 10 miles away. I found out that the AI for routing is not that smart when there is a highway nearby. There is a highway (Route 66) by my house. Whenever I tried to go more than a few miles parallel to it, it will try to get me to use it. But for this section of the Route 66, it has the same speed limit as any other streets parallel to it, so it would have taken more time to use it instead of a normal street. The good thing is the re-routing works really well.

My wife is really jealous of my new toy. She has the Treo 700p, and I told her if she wants TeleNav, she has a get an external BT GPS unit.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:24 AM   #3
fizz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630

Really??? Telenav for the 7130e now? what software version did you upgrade to, didn't think the upgrade would be available this soon??

Last edited by fizz; 10-09-2006 at 07:43 AM..
Old 10-09-2006, 09:18 AM   #4
Need
Thumbs Must Hurt

The version I downloaded from Sprint is v4.1.0.359. It was posted here in another thread and someone said after he upgraded, TeleNav works. That was the reason I upgraded the software. I wasn't going to since I had no problem with the old software, but I have to so I could test out the GPS.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:56 AM   #5
Need
Thumbs Must Hurt

I did a walking trip test last week. The distance to the street in feet seems fairly accurate. Usually I will reach 0 feet somewhere in the middle of the street. When I was driving, sometime it will tell me to turn one street too early if the distance between streets were small. The re-routing while walking takes a long time to update though. It doesn't start to re-route until I am about 0.2 miles off course. But other than that, it does a good job of pointing me home from my walking trip.

I also took a long driving trip to Palm Spring from Los Angeles. I found that the estimate time updates very slowly. I would be driving for 20 min and the estimate time still showed 1 hour. The distance to next turn is really good though. The speed also seems to be relatively accurate. It is constantly about 2 to 4 mph slower than the speedometer showed in my car. I don't know which one is off. I was driving to a hotel in Palm Spring. I put down the address of the hotel in TeleNav, but I forgot to write down the name of the hotel where my friend was staying. TeleNav actually took us right in front of a hotel. We had to call her and said "we THINK we are right in front of your hotel, is your hotel name ....."
Old 10-16-2006, 10:15 AM   #6
fizz

have you noticed any problems with any of your existing apps, etc.? I'm sure i read somewhere that after upgrading some things were changed but forget what exactly ther person said.
Funny thing is I emailed Sprint and they said Telenav isn't available and then provided the link to download and said to call tech support to further discuss. never did.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:59 AM   #7
Need
Thumbs Must Hurt

I don't have that many applications on my phone. I haven't seen any strange behaviors happened yet. Other than Telenav, I only got Google map, Headlinehawk pro, Opera Mini, and rpn calculator.

Yesterday, my phone did a reset when I was playing with Telenav trying to find the nearest Costco. It found costco, but as I did get the get route, it resets on me. Not sure what happened there. It was the first time my phone reset on me. After it reset, everything seems to work fine again.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:23 AM   #8
coldseed

Model: 7130e
Carrier: verizon

This TeleNav sounds very interesting...I need to check it out.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:03 AM   #9
fizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need
I don't have that many applications on my phone. I haven't seen any strange behaviors happened yet. Other than Telenav, I only got Google map, Headlinehawk pro, Opera Mini, and rpn calculator.

Yesterday, my phone did a reset when I was playing with Telenav trying to find the nearest Costco. It found costco, but as I did get the get route, it resets on me. Not sure what happened there. It was the first time my phone reset on me. After it reset, everything seems to work fine again.
good to know thanks, i'll probably give it a try sometime soon.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:19 PM   #10
theveep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizz
have you noticed any problems with any of your existing apps, etc.? I'm sure i read somewhere that after upgrading some things were changed but forget what exactly ther person said.
Funny thing is I emailed Sprint and they said Telenav isn't available and then provided the link to download and said to call tech support to further discuss. never did.
I've been using TeleNave on my Sprint 7130e since the day it was release and I love it! Hasn't acted up one bit with any of my other applications. What's really cool is that if you go into your contacts there is a map it link in the drop down menu. I too live in Los Angeles and it has really worked well and re routing is amazing! I would highly suggest this app!
Old 10-19-2006, 11:44 AM   #11
Need
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveep
What's really cool is that if you go into your contacts there is a map it link in the drop down menu.
I did not know that! This is really cool. :p Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:05 AM   #12
bjk.qaz

Model: 8830
Default problems with sprint activating telenav accounts

a FYI, I called Sprint on Friday the 13 and added the unlilmited telenav service to my line. After going back and forth between sprint CS and telenav (sprint said I have to goto telenav, telenav said I had to goto sprint) I finally got a spring PDA tech to enable it.

It took from 4:30pm to about 12:30pm the next day before I received the SMS from sprint with my ID and PIN. I then proceeded to enter that info but when it connected to the telenav service it *****ed that the account was not active.

Since then I called 4 times. Finally on the 4th call they told me there is a known problem that affects EVEYRONE who activates the account via Sprint for single billing. The account information comes across wrong and thus causes the software then logging in to say there is no active account. They told me they are working on resolving the issue, but have now ETA.

Hopefully this is worth the wait.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:47 PM   #13
digitmasher
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830

TeleNav is awesome!, Most of the reps at Sprint (provided they know the right people) get the application for free. I have it on my 7520 right now, and it has come in handy on several road trips.

However, it is slow to re route and does get confused in some residential areas if the streets are close to one another or if they are near a major road way. The re-routing does take some time to update, basically because of the limitations of the iDen network's limited capacity for data speeds.

Overall I love the application, it comes in handy for finding cheap gas and you can even search for resturaunts, businesses, hospitals, etc all on the fly.

PIN: 30575684
Old 10-24-2006, 05:07 AM   #14
Spmm

Model: 8703e

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjk.qaz
a FYI, I called Sprint on Friday the 13 and added the unlilmited telenav service to my line. After going back and forth between sprint CS and telenav (sprint said I have to goto telenav, telenav said I had to goto sprint) I finally got a spring PDA tech to enable it.

It took from 4:30pm to about 12:30pm the next day before I received the SMS from sprint with my ID and PIN. I then proceeded to enter that info but when it connected to the telenav service it *****ed that the account was not active.

Since then I called 4 times. Finally on the 4th call they told me there is a known problem that affects EVEYRONE who activates the account via Sprint for single billing. The account information comes across wrong and thus causes the software then logging in to say there is no active account. They told me they are working on resolving the issue, but have now ETA.

Hopefully this is worth the wait.
I've been having the same problem. Ordered my service through sprint on Sunday and have yet to get a clear answer or any worth while help from either party. So, you think I should ask for a pda tech? Is that the same as the "advanced tech" Sprint keeps sending me too? this is the pits! oh yea, I still have no pin because of the clueless Sprint/TeleNav party

Last edited by Spmm; 10-24-2006 at 05:10 AM..
Old 10-24-2006, 09:37 AM   #15
Need
Thumbs Must Hurt

After reading all these troubles with signing up thru Sprint, I am so glad that I signed up directly on TeleNav website. But I wonder if I will get a discount putting it on my Sprint bill, because I get 25% off Sprint.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:14 AM   #16
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many

Rate plan discounts do not apply to third party data services.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:16 PM   #17
fizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveep
I've been using TeleNave on my Sprint 7130e since the day it was release and I love it! Hasn't acted up one bit with any of my other applications. What's really cool is that if you go into your contacts there is a map it link in the drop down menu. I too live in Los Angeles and it has really worked well and re routing is amazing! I would highly suggest this app!
thanks for the added info.

Need:
"I am so glad that I signed up directly on TeleNav website."

So you signed up through telenav, what's the difference in price if any and thought this would have to be an added service by Sprint only.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:06 PM   #18
Need
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizz
So you signed up through telenav, what's the difference in price if any and thought this would have to be an added service by Sprint only.
I just went to TeleNav website and sign up for an account there. They have a promote to give 30 days free trial for blackberry. You just put in your phone number and pick your own password. You have to enter your credit card billing info and after that, it will tell you that the first 30 days are free. After that you just download the software from their website and use it. The whole process takes like 5 minutes. It is the same price as Sprint $9.99 per month.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:14 PM   #19
coldseed

I am delivering for the holidays and I could really use this. A lot of places are pretty rural and it seems that house numbers don't exist. It's so frustrating trying to find a house and you can't be cause they don't have a house number up.

Would this TeleNav help? Is it worth it? Suggestions...

Thanks.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:17 PM   #20
coldseed

Also...how hard is it on the battery? I don't have a cig/jack in my vehicle so I can't charge up my phone or anything. I can go to work with a full battery charge, but how bad does telenav drain your battery?

Again, thanks!
Closed Thread