BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 08:54 AM   #1
biscuit
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: none
Question Are there two versions of the 8800?

Please Login to Remove!

Take a look at the pictures that were published and see if you can find the camera, I cant. Something is not quite right. Is it possible that they are coming out with two versions of the 8800? One with and one without a camera? The specs published clearly state a camera and yet it is not shown on the released pictures. Any Thoughts?????
Old 10-04-2006, 09:21 AM   #2
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: ip 3g
PIN: 8675309
Carrier: AT&T

Yes there are two versions.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:28 AM   #3
biscuit

I have yet to see any designation on two versions, where do you find that?
Old 10-04-2006, 09:36 AM   #4
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

Read the threads in this section. Someone confirmed that in one of these threads. It has been confirmed by a repituable source that there will be two versions.

*edit* I'll be searching too, if I find it I'll post it.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:14 AM   #5
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit
I have yet to see any designation on two versions, where do you find that?
There are two versions, one with and one without a camera. One will be released here in the next few months, and one will be released in the first half of next year (adds the camera).
Old 10-04-2006, 11:41 AM   #6
thriller
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100r
Carrier: Rogers

looks like the one with the camera will have a longer delay and will prob be released around srping time. Who know what the time line is. But can't wait for that wi-fi
Old 10-04-2006, 12:02 PM   #7
secrecyguy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

I haven't seen the pictures with the camera and anyone can say anything. So as far as I am concern, it's still unconfirm if there's going to be a second version with a camera.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:05 PM   #8
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by secrecyguy
I haven't seen the pictures with the camera and anyone can say anything. So as far as I am concern, it's still unconfirm if there's going to be a second version with a camera.
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ore-specs.html
Old 10-04-2006, 07:06 PM   #9
thought
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703
Carrier: Verizon

If you look closely at the 3 leaked images of the 8800, you will notice that the sleek black one does not have the lower convenience key on the right side...on the Pearl, this key activates the camera.

The other 2 versions...the one for Vodafone, the one for T-Mo, both have that same convenience key on the right...that is for the camera.

That is the closest visual confirmation we have.

Also, if Jibi says there will be 2 versions...one w/ camera, one sans camera, then that is the way it will be.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:11 PM   #10
ImagineParadise
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriller
looks like the one with the camera will have a longer delay and will prob be released around srping time. Who know what the time line is. But can't wait for that wi-fi
wi-fi is overrated and IMO pointless when you have internet access everywhere with the blackberry data plan that you'll probably have to buy regardless along with bluetooth.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:04 PM   #11
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineParadise
wi-fi is overrated and IMO pointless when you have internet access everywhere with the blackberry data plan that you'll probably have to buy regardless along with bluetooth.
Depending on Wi-Fi restrictions, and depending on just what you will be allowed to do on the device, I'd much rather prefer Wi-Fi access than EDGE. Just my opinion. If you work in the medical industry, or some other industry where cell phones wouldn't be allowed in some places that a wireless campus was established, then just think of the possibilities. I suppose it just depends on the person.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:14 PM   #12
biscuit

I personally dont care if it has wifi as long as it is 3g / hsdpa capable. I would rather have longer battery life and a camera and WIFI would just be a bonus. The link in the previous thread was a link to t another thread. It appears to me that most of the things here are speculative and we will just have to wait to find out the truth.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:55 PM   #13
ImagineParadise
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
Depending on Wi-Fi restrictions, and depending on just what you will be allowed to do on the device, I'd much rather prefer Wi-Fi access than EDGE. Just my opinion. If you work in the medical industry, or some other industry where cell phones wouldn't be allowed in some places that a wireless campus was established, then just think of the possibilities. I suppose it just depends on the person.
Im talking about on a phone and nothing else. Of course anyone would prefer wi-fi access over EDGE. My point was if you're, lets say, at a resurant or something, school, where ever, well, wi-fi hot spots arn't always around. With your blackberry and the data plan your online where ever you have a phone signal, which is in a lot more places than wi-fi is. If you want wifi access on your phone, might as well have a laptop where your at because browsing on your phone, you're probably not doing anything but browsing and the 2 more seconds you're saving while the page is pulling up isn't worth the extra $$ for wi-fi technology on the phone. They could have easily put wi-fi on the 8100 (my guess not even on the 8800) but they didn't because it doesnt make any sense to put the technology in the device when you have wireless access everywhere anyway with a phone signal.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:26 PM   #14
nsimpson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
I personally dont care if it has wifi as long as it is 3g / hsdpa capable. I would rather have longer battery life and a camera and WIFI would just be a bonus. The link in the previous thread was a link to t another thread. It appears to me that most of the things here are speculative and we will just have to wait to find out the truth.
I completly agree. I think its silly for companies to carry this device if they are trying to roll out with a HSDPA system. I know Rogers(Q1 the system will be complete)and Cingular are almost there, it just seems unfair that we will prob. have to wait a whole year to see a 3G blackberry. For other companies i can understand why they are coming out with the 8800 but for these other companies who are almost ready to upgrade their networks it doesnt seem like it's fair to the buying public who might not be as knowledgable about the up and coming technology out there...
Old 10-04-2006, 11:15 PM   #15
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:
It appears to me that most of the things here are speculative and we will just have to wait to find out the truth.
Hardly anything you've read recently is speculative anymore. I've seen a lot more information than most people here, so I will say that a lot of what has been said is substantiated fact.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:18 PM   #16
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Im talking about on a phone and nothing else. Of course anyone would prefer wi-fi access over EDGE. My point was if you're, lets say, at a resurant or something, school, where ever, well, wi-fi hot spots arn't always around. With your blackberry and the data plan your online where ever you have a phone signal, which is in a lot more places than wi-fi is. If you want wifi access on your phone, might as well have a laptop where your at because browsing on your phone, you're probably not doing anything but browsing and the 2 more seconds you're saving while the page is pulling up isn't worth the extra $$ for wi-fi technology on the phone. They could have easily put wi-fi on the 8100 (my guess not even on the 8800) but they didn't because it doesnt make any sense to put the technology in the device when you have wireless access everywhere anyway with a phone signal.
Go look up information on UMA/GAN. The 8800 will support this. The big thing about this is that it will seamlessly transfer you from Wi-Fi to Carrier Network to Wi-Fi etc. without dropping your call. Think of areas where carrier networks don't reach (basements, various convention centers, etc). T-Mobile will be the only carrier in the United States to support this technology though; Cingular will support IMS once it's fully deployed HSDPA.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:13 AM   #17
ImagineParadise
Thumbs Must Hurt

So your saying its going to be like a broad band type of service like vontage alined with T-Mo's network?

Hey sweet, "My thumbs must hurt"
Old 10-05-2006, 10:41 AM   #18
havaloc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Will both the camera version and cameraless version include WiFi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
The 8800 will support this
Old 10-05-2006, 11:01 AM   #19
Boy Genius
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: FFFFFFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by havaloc
Will both the camera version and cameraless version include WiFi?
Yes, definitely.

The Boy Genius Report
Old 10-05-2006, 12:54 PM   #20
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:
So your saying its going to be like a broad band type of service like vontage alined with T-Mo's network?

Hey sweet, "My thumbs must hurt"
Yepsireee. But it's only going to be available in major markets at launch (later this year for commercial launch).